Michael K.

Re: Supermen vs. Clark Kent State Game thread

Post by Michael K. » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:35 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:10 pm
Let's take a look at Slick Rick:
The year after he became head coach to his "retirement":
1998 Lambo's last season he had a 6-6 record and lost in the Oahu Classic

1999 Rick's first season he had a 7-5 record and lost in the Holiday Bowl [this is what he did with Lambo's recruits]
2000 Rich had a 11-1 season and won the Rose Bowl - two years removed from Lambo
2001 a 8-4 record and lost the Holiday Bowl
2002 a 7-6 record and lost the Sun Bowl

2003 coach was Gilbertson

Honestly, it seems both Rick and Peterson were pretty similar in records and bowl outcomes. But Rick actually won a big bowl, whereas Peterson never did.

So although it is not incorrect to say he won with Lambo's recruits, he also had his own. But it's safe to say the recruits didn't matter because that entire season was won because of Matt Tuiasospo at QB. Tuiasospo was going to go to UW no matter who the coach was (his parents went to UW and local kid).
Now 6 and 6 and 7 and 5 is good enough but Pete wasn't? Dude. Take a look at the Rose Bowl team, the difference makers, and remember who recruited Tua. Take a look at the amount of Juniors and Seniors on that team. Then take a look at the years after.

You really crack me up. Pete wasn't good enough, but only once did he win fewer than 8 games. Rick won 8 once and 11 once. Otherwise? Pete was never 6 and 6. You actually posted that win loss record as a reason he was better than Pete? I don't get you. You really are an odd duck.

Ok, fine, some guy that coached before my dad was alive won a lot of games. My bad. Throw Dobie in all you want, I don't give a shit. But Slick Rick? Fuck that.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:37 pm

It's about Bowl games?
Last edited by Michael K. on Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:38 pm

1999 Washington 7–5 6–2 2nd L Holiday
2000 Washington 11–1 7–1 T–1st W Rose†
2001 Washington 8–4 6–2 T–2nd L Holiday
2002 Washington 7–6 4–4 T–4th L Sun

Yep, it's about Bowl Games. WW's boy Rick was 1 and 3. LOL

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:55 pm

I have a ton of friends that are Coug alums and fans that laugh at us for how stupid we were for chasing off Chris Petersen. "Just like you arrogant Husky fans to think the grass is always greener." I didn't buy it, figured Pete just lost the desire, but then I read bullshit like what WW is spewing and wonder if that is exactly it. Slick Rick wins one Rose Bowl, so he is better, despite the fact that Pete got to three New Years day bowls in a row, won more games AND won more Bowl games? Some actually think that fucking douche bag is better?

That fucker is WHY we ended up with Willingham. We had to have someone clean up the mess that he turned the program into. But, let's put him in the same class as Petersen? Maybe we did deserve all of this? My guess is DeBoer will kick ass, but it won't be good enough and he will exit too because he is tired of answering why he loses recruits to the SEC and Nike Money. "We must doubt until he proves himself"? WTF is that? But shit, according to WWD, Pete didn't even prove himself because he couldn't beat Bama or Ohio State. I guess not many coaches around prove themselves then.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:09 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:38 pm
1999 Washington 7–5 6–2 2nd L Holiday
2000 Washington 11–1 7–1 T–1st W Rose†
2001 Washington 8–4 6–2 T–2nd L Holiday
2002 Washington 7–6 4–4 T–4th L Sun

Yep, it's about Bowl Games. WW's boy Rick was 1 and 3. LOL
You find one post where I said Rick was great....or shut the fuck up.
Michael K. wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:55 pm
I have a ton of friends that are Coug alums and fans that laugh at us for how stupid we were for chasing off Chris Petersen. "Just like you arrogant Husky fans to think the grass is always greener." I didn't buy it, figured Pete just lost the desire, but then I read bullshit like what WW is spewing and wonder if that is exactly it. Slick Rick wins one Rose Bowl, so he is better, despite the fact that Pete got to three New Years day bowls in a row, won more games AND won more Bowl games? Some actually think that fucking douche bag is better?

That fucker is WHY we ended up with Willingham. We had to have someone clean up the mess that he turned the program into. But, let's put him in the same class as Petersen? Maybe we did deserve all of this? My guess is DeBoer will kick ass, but it won't be good enough and he will exit too because he is tired of answering why he loses recruits to the SEC and Nike Money. "We must doubt until he proves himself"? WTF is that? But shit, according to WWD, Pete didn't even prove himself because he couldn't beat Bama or Ohio State. I guess not many coaches around prove themselves then.
Wow, you do have issues with reading comprehension don't you?

1. Please explain the Bullshit I am spewing?
2. Please tell me when I said Rick was better or worse than CP?
3. Going to Bowl Games is all we should aspire to? That is a goal, but let's win a few.
4. I also never said that Rick wasn't a douche bag, he is, but he is also a good coach. The two are not mutually exclusive.
5. Willingham sucked!!!!
6. Gilbertson was between Rick and Willingham....facts matter....and Gilbertson was here for 2 years.
7. DeBoer may kick ass, I hope he does. This all goes back to the post by Cap stating that the jury is still out since we don't know what kind of team Kent State has (offense or defense).
8. We'll always lose recruits to SEC and Nike, actually this has nothing to do with this thread.
9. Nothing wrong with wanting to see the outcome before passing judgement. Doesn't mean I am not pulling for the Dawgs.
10. Where did I say CP didn't prove himself? Where? I stated the facts that he did come from a JV league. And guess what, he didn't last because of the rigors of a Power 5 Conference.
11. If they could have game planned properly, they wouldn't have been down by 28 points at half and we may have won both the Fiesta and Rose Bowls....but they didn't.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:00 pm

So, you have been posting all this bullshit about Slick Rick, and then talking shit about Pete's Bowl record....because WHY? Because you think Pete is that much better?

Is it all about Bowl games? Because if so, then why would Rick in the discussion?.

You want to make some guy that coached in Leather Helmets the guy, fine. My two coaches are James and Pete, and none of your "it's about Bowl Games" BS is going to change that.

There were no Bowl games when Dobie coached.
Jim Owens coached for 18 years and went to three bowl games.
Lambright was 1 and 4
Weasel was 1 and 3
We went six years between Paint Dry and Gilby and went to ZERO Bowl games,
Sark was 3 and 2 but never finished higher than 3rd...IN THE NORTH!
Pete, and Jimmy.

Sorry, use your Bullshit "it's all about Bowl Games" all you want....if you can somehow find four better than Pete you, again, are nucking futs. That said I am done with this. Anyone that can put Slick Rick and Pete in the same discussion about Husky coaches has wasted more of my time than necessary.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:05 pm

Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:09 pm

10. Where did I say CP didn't prove himself? Where? I stated the facts that he did come from a JV league. And guess what, he didn't last because of the rigors of a Power 5 Conference.
Or? Idiot fans chased him off because he realized that despite not having the same resources as the Big 10 and SEC, he was never going to stop hearing it from guys like you when he didn't beat them.

Again, I never believed it when I heard all of that from Cougar fans. They may just have been right. Careful what you wish for. JV Conference, what a crock of SHIT. Good thing Don James didn't have to prove it to you. He came from JV Kent State, remember? Went 6 and 5 and then 5 and 6. Jesus, I would have to stop reading this site if you get a chance to post about this coach starting off like that!

The coaches after James and before Pete combined to go 5 and 9 in Bowl games, and there were several years we didn't go Bowling. But, Pete losing in New Years day bowl games against the likes of the Big 10 and Bama....that is unforgivable and means he is only Top 5. Holy Shit.

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:35 pm

If you two don't knock it off I'm going to steal WW"s sticks when he gets down here for Spring Training and start a rumor that Michael's daughter is engaged to Dylan Morris :lol:

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:41 pm

AZOldDawg wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:35 pm
If you two don't knock it off I'm going to steal WW"s sticks when he gets down here for Spring Training and start a rumor that Michael's daughter is engaged to Dylan Morris :lol:
I don't have a daughter, but I would beat the tar out of my nieces for such treason! :lol: :lol:

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:48 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:05 pm
Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:09 pm

Or? Idiot fans chased him off because he realized that despite not having the same resources as the Big 10 and SEC, he was never going to stop hearing it from guys like you when he didn't beat them.

Again, I never believed it when I heard all of that from Cougar fans. They may just have been right. Careful what you wish for. JV Conference, what a crock of SHIT. Good thing Don James didn't have to prove it to you. He came from JV Kent State, remember? Went 6 and 5 and then 5 and 6. Jesus, I would have to stop reading this site if you get a chance to post about this coach starting off like that!

The coaches after James and before Pete combined to go 5 and 9 in Bowl games, and there were several years we didn't go Bowling. But, Pete losing in New Years day bowl games against the likes of the Big 10 and Bama....that is unforgivable and means he is only Top 5. Holy Shit.
Or maybe he just burned out because of the rigors of a Power 5 schedule?
-Neither of us know-

As for Coug fans, fuck them all!! I've never cared what any of them have to say. But comparing what the NCAA Football was back in the early 70's compared to today is absurd. Back then, there were not any limits on scholarships, so the large schools had all the great recruits. Also back then, they didn't have the scouting as they do today.
-Just a totally absurd comparison-

It isn't the fact that Peterson lost those two bowl games, it the way he lost. Falling behind by 21 points at half!!! Then for some reason he could make the needed adjustments, then barely lose.
-But I guess you are fine with that-

-Shrug-