UW Football Game 4, Stanford Trees

Walla Walla Dawg II

UW Football Game 4, Stanford Trees

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:02 pm

We've been looking forward to this Husky team for years....it's seems to finally be here.

I don't see Stanford stopping the Dawgs on offense.
Dawgs: 44 points

I can also see Stanford scoring on our Dawgs.
Trees: 24 points

Noteworthy,
Stanford's #1 RB is out.

D-train

Re: UW Football Game 4, Stanford Trees

Post by D-train » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:48 pm

41-17
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:11 pm

Stanford always seems to give us trouble even when we are good. I am not expecting a blowout. I say UW 34 Stanford 27.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:50 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:11 pm
Stanford always seems to give us trouble even when we are good. I am not expecting a blowout. I say UW 34 Stanford 27.
No doubt. Besides that Friday Night beat down the year we went to the Final 4? It is always a dog fight. I am very curious to see how a defense NOT run by Jimmy Lake attacks a power run team. Our run defense looked real good against the big bad Big 10 Spartans last week, so I am hopeful.

Unless disaster strikes? I don't see them stopping us.

Dawgs - 37
Trees - 23

Do we get back Aza at Safety and the Corner this week? What about Kirkland?

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:50 pm

By Mike Vorel
Seattle Times staff reporter
Stanford (1-1) at No. 18 Washington (3-0)
7:30 p.m. Saturday, Husky Stadium
TV: FS1 Radio: SportsRadio 93.3-FM KJR

Latest line: Huskies by 13.5

UW key players
QB Michael Penix Jr.: 66% completions, 1,079 passing yards, 10 pass TD, 1 INT

WR Ja’Lynn Polk: 12 catches, 245 yards, 20.4 yards per reception, 4 TD

LB Alphonzo Tuputala: 17 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, 1 sack

S Kamren Fabiculanan: 11 tackles, 1 pass breakup

Stanford key players
QB Tanner McKee: 67.7% completions, 528 passing yards, 3 pass TD, 3 INT, 1 rush TD

WR Michael Wilson: 7 catches, 112 yards, 16 yards per reception, 2 TD

LB Levani Damuni: 16 tackles, 1 pass breakup, 1 QB hit

S Patrick Fields: 11 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 TFL

Avoiding the letdown
The last four times Washington has been ranked in the Associated Press top 25 poll, the Huskies immediately lost the following week. Oh, and two of those four losses came against Stanford, in 2019 and 2020. Which isn’t to say Washington won’t roll over Stanford on Saturday. But the Huskies can’t consider this a cupcake game, either. Despite losing 41-28 to No. 7 USC on Sept. 10, Stanford — which is also coming off a bye — actually gained nine more first downs than the Trojans (33-24). The Cardinal rushed for a whopping 221 yards, 4.9 yards per carry and three touchdowns as well. Two of their drives ended in turnovers at the Trojans’ 2-yard line, providing a somewhat deceptive final score. And their quarterback, Tanner McKee, has caught the eye of NFL scouts. So yes, the Huskies are favored to win here — and rightly so. But Stanford deserves, and requires, their full attention.

Containing McKee
Speaking of McKee, the 6-foot-6, 230-pound junior completed 65.4% of his passes and threw for 2,327 yards with 19 total touchdowns and seven interceptions last season. He’s gotten off to a bit of a slow start this fall, with three touchdowns and three interceptions in his first two games. Even so, Stanford’s coaching staff — which, let’s repeat, is coming off a bye — will undoubtedly see that Michigan State’s Payton Thorne torched the Husky secondary for 71.4% completions, 323 passing yards and three touchdowns (as well as an interception) last weekend. That secondary may still be missing starting safety Asa Turner and cornerbacks Jordan Perryman and Elijah Jackson on Saturday as well. Stanford’s rushing attack will always be the focus, but expect McKee and Co. to take copious shots at a shaky secondary. To help out that group, the Huskies’ pass rush will have to get home.

Protecting Penix
The good news? Stanford’s pass defense surrendered 74% completions, 341 passing yards and four touchdowns to Caleb Williams and Co. two weeks ago. But Williams was also sacked three times. If UW quarterback Michael Penix Jr. — who has not been sacked in his first three games — stays upright, the Stanford secondary should be overmatched. That’s due also to a wide receiver corps that features a slew of capable targets in Jalen McMillan, Ja’Lynn Polk, Rome Odunze, Giles Jackson and Taj Davis. Tight ends Devin Culp and Jack Westover have been productive pass catchers as well. The Huskies’ sheer variety of options makes it difficult for defenses to match up. But Penix is the engine that makes the whole thing move. If he’s on his game, good luck.

Vorel’s prediction
As stated above, there are reasons to worry. UW has not responded well to a national ranking over the last several years, and Stanford — with a bye week at its back — may be better than its most recent loss suggests. This isn’t, and shouldn’t be, a 30-point spread. And yet, this is a new era at Washington — and coach Kalen DeBoer has earned the full focus and confidence of a talented team. UW’s offense is designed and prepared to pick apart Stanford’s secondary, and Penix and Co. will do just that. The Huskies will effectively stuff the run for a second consecutive game, and the defense will force a turnover or two to extinguish Cardinal momentum. McKee will have some success, but same as Thorne, those contributions will only get Stanford so far. No. 18 Washington will get a home win to kick off Pac-12 play.

Final score: Huskies 41, Cardinal 27
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:46 pm

That secondary may still be missing starting safety Asa Turner and cornerbacks Jordan Perryman and Elijah Jackson on Saturday as well.
Shit.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:12 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:46 pm
That secondary may still be missing starting safety Asa Turner and cornerbacks Jordan Perryman and Elijah Jackson on Saturday as well.
Shit.
I don't think we need them to beat Stanford.
With the short week, I'd rather we have them healthy and fresh for UCLA next Friday.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:28 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:12 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:46 pm
Shit.
With the short week, I'd rather we have them healthy and fresh for UCLA next Friday.
Saw that UCLA is averaging 37.3% of capacity attendance. I guess 62.7% of the crowd will be Dawg fans!
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:08 pm

I see that one win did a lot for your opinion on this team and it's coaching staff. I love this team, and think we have more talent and are better coached than Stanford, but no one wants to play without half their secondary and their starting LT.

Told my son before the Kent State game this was a 9 win team if Penix stays healthy. But shit, had no idea Kirkland was going to be out forever and the secondary was this thin. I also think Stanford's offense is better than UCLA. Chip Kelly is a fucking gimick.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:27 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:08 pm
I see that one win did a lot for your opinion on this team and it's coaching staff. I love this team, and think we have more talent and are better coached than Stanford, but no one wants to play without half their secondary and their starting LT.

Told my son before the Kent State game this was a 9 win team if Penix stays healthy. But shit, had no idea Kirkland was going to be out forever and the secondary was this thin. I also think Stanford's offense is better than UCLA. Chip Kelly is a fucking gimick.
I never said this team was going to be shit, or not a bowl team, just that I want to see the product before I "fall in line like you obviously have". Your opinion that I BELIEVED this team would suck is ONLY your opinion and....another misquote by you.

As for Chip fucking Kelley, never liked that M&M-shaped mother fucker. I'm not overly worried about his gimmick plays, it's the running QB that scares the crap out of me. Look what Kent State's QB did, although they have a mobile QB, they don't necessarily like him running. UCLA loves it when their QB runs.