UW Football Game 5, Friday night in LA

Captain 97

Re: UW Football Game 4, Friday night in LA

Post by Captain 97 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:00 am

They didn't play well enough to deserve to win but they might have had a chance without this clown show of a officiating crew. Obvious holds all night by the Bruins and not one called and then they call some phantom holds on us in key situations. They over turn a first down for us when the replay was inconclusive at best. Then they dont replay the last first down of the game where it was pretty obvious the guy got nowhere near where they spotted the ball. Missed a obvious PI on them as well where the defender had his hands all over our recievers arms and he never turned his head. It was pretty brutal.

Turning back to our own issues though. We have no depth in the secondary and we were missing our injured guys big time. The run defense is pretty suspect too we just aren't very stout at the line of scrimmage and it's going to be a problem when we face teams with big horses on the O line. On the offensive side of the ball the pass protection wasnt great. However we dug our self's a big hole early on and they were able to sort of pin their ears back on us. That fumble for the safety on the second series really changed the game. If we take that down and score and make it 14-0, the whole complexion of that game changes. In stead they give up the safety and a TD to follow it and they are down 9-7. Obviously there is a lot of room for improvement but we are far ahead of where I expected to be at this point. So I'll just chalk this one up as a learning experience and not lose any sleep over it.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:47 pm

I recorded the game but saw the score when I was on twitter watching M's highlights so won't watch. How did Penix play other than the two INTs? Why such a slow start on O??
dt

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:52 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:47 pm
I recorded the game but saw the score when I was on twitter watching M's highlights so won't watch. How did Penix play other than the two INTs? Why such a slow start on O??
wasnt a slow start on O, took it for 6 on the opening possession. next one started around the 5 after stopping Bruins on 4th down and first play the starting RB drops the pitch (backwards somehow, I'll never understand that) resulting in the safety. after that the kick coverage was terrible and Bruins pay it off with a 40-some yard TD drive. Next possession Dawgs' productive drive stalls with penalties and sacks, ending with a 50-yard made field goal. next possession ended with the first interception in own side of the field, but not before a key first down completion on a beautiful back knee (not back shoulder) throw and catch to Giles Jackson was inexplicably overturned with inconclusive evidence. that same drive featured a very questionable holding call on Rosengarten.

Other than the two interceptions Penix was his usual great self, spreading the ball around, throwing with great accuracy and anticipation, leading receivers in stride, reading the pre-snap blitz to throw quick hot routes that were effective, and taking what the D was giving in the second half (namely the run game) rather than forcing the action. Michael especially should appreciate this aspect of the offensive playcalling and execution that was particularly evident last night when penalties put them behind schedule: receivers running routes BEYOND the sticks so that when they make their break and come back for the catch they're still far enough advanced for the first down conversion. The problem wasnt Penix last night, just an overmatched D missing key parts of the secondary, plus a few mistakes and bad calls against a good team on the road - their big 3 of DTR, Charbonneau and Bobo really hurt us, as did former Dawg edge Laiatu Latu - man i hated to (see him go!

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:55 pm

57reasons wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:52 pm
D-train wrote:
wasnt a slow start on O, took it for 6 on the opening possession. next one started around the 5 after stopping Bruins on 4th down and first play the starting RB drops the pitch (backwards somehow, I'll never understand that) resulting in the safety. after that the kick coverage was terrible and Bruins pay it off with a 40-some yard TD drive. Next possession Dawgs' productive drive stalls with penalties and sacks, ending with a 50-yard made field goal. next possession ended with the first interception in own side of the field, but not before a key first down completion on a beautiful back knee (not back shoulder) throw and catch to Giles Jackson was inexplicably overturned with inconclusive evidence. that same drive featured a very questionable holding call on Rosengarten.

Other than the two interceptions Penix was his usual great self, spreading the ball around, throwing with great accuracy and anticipation, leading receivers in stride, reading the pre-snap blitz to throw quick hot routes that were effective, and taking what the D was giving in the second half (namely the run game) rather than forcing the action. Michael especially should appreciate this aspect of the offensive playcalling and execution that was particularly evident last night when penalties put them behind schedule: receivers running routes BEYOND the sticks so that when they make their break and come back for the catch they're still far enough advanced for the first down conversion. The problem wasnt Penix last night, just an overmatched D missing key parts of the secondary, plus a few mistakes and bad calls against a good team on the road - their big 3 of DTR, Charbonneau and Bobo really hurt us, as did former Dawg edge Laiatu Latu - man i hated to (see him go!
Thanks man!
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:20 pm

57reasons wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:52 pm
D-train wrote:

Great break down. Not sure what to add. I think the fumble was a killer...not only for giving them momentum and the ball, but we sort of put Wayne T. in the doghouse for some time after that. He was real good on the opening scoring drive. I am not sure what was up DTR's ass, but I sure wish we got another crack at that guy. He looked like he had a Myles Jack sized chip on his shoulder about the Huskies. What is it about Bruins hating Huskies? You'd think Mora Jr was still there.

Overall? The defense has to get better, but let's be honest here. We aren't out of anything right now. I don't think any of us had NC asperations, even at 4 and 0. We can still win the North and then who knows?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:30 pm

The holding call was terrible, and I think the over turned catch was bullshit. That said, we have to be better than that and not panic. The game wasn't over....until we threw the pick. We weren't coming back after that. I sure hope that Penix stays another year, because this group could be special, but it amazes me how little talent Lake had on defense. We had zero answer yesterday. Hard to blame the offense for a one score game when we forced one punt and got no turnovers.

It's also not very often you are going to face a five year starter at QB, playing in the same system he came into five years prior. Kind of the perfect storm. A fucking Friday Night game, terrible idea to have marquee teams play Friday night, IMO, a couple of iffy calls, a bad fumble, a bad decision by a good QB....and then we still have a chance to force a punt and maybe get to OT. I hate that we lost, but if this loss means we beat Oregon because we learned from our mistakes? I am good with it.

Fungo

Post by Fungo » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:51 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:30 pm
The holding call was terrible, and I think the over turned catch was bullshit. That said, we have to be better than that and not panic. The game wasn't over....until we threw the pick. We weren't coming back after that. I sure hope that Penix stays another year, because this group could be special, but it amazes me how little talent Lake had on defense. We had zero answer yesterday. Hard to blame the offense for a one score game when we forced one punt and got no turnovers.

It's also not very often you are going to face a five year starter at QB, playing in the same system he came into five years prior. Kind of the perfect storm. A fucking Friday Night game, terrible idea to have marquee teams play Friday night, IMO, a couple of iffy calls, a bad fumble, a bad decision by a good QB....and then we still have a chance to force a punt and maybe get to OT. I hate that we lost, but if this loss means we beat Oregon because we learned from our mistakes? I am good with it.
It's too bad we lost the game but like you, I don't think it'll hurt our chances for a great season. We could very easily be 8-1 coming into the Oregon game which I think we win if we have a healthy Penix. We are still ranked at #24 and by the time we play Oregon we should be back in the low teens at least. Our offense should more than be able to offset the problems with our secondary. Watching the Oregon game last night nearly made me want to barf. I'm not sure whether I dislike their fans more than I dislike their uniforms or the players attitudes.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:21 pm

Pretty sure I heard that we play in the Desert at 1 in the afternoon? Fuck the Pac 12. Our first road game is a Friday night, followed by a game in the middle of the day in Tempe?

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:57 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:21 pm
Pretty sure I heard that we play in the Desert at 1 in the afternoon? Fuck the Pac 12. Our first road game is a Friday night, followed by a game in the middle of the day in Tempe?
Yep, starts at 1pm MST/PDT

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Te ... ed722e5d70
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:13 am

Fungo wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:51 pm
which I think we win if we have a healthy Penix.
:lol: