Jesus Huskies Hoops won by 31 vs. Alaska Fairbanks!

D-train

Jesus Huskies Hoops won by 31 vs. Alaska Fairbanks!

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:45 pm

Not surprised, just can't believe I forgot about it until now.

https://gohuskies.com/sports/mens-baske ... le/2022-23
dt

D-train

Re: Jesus Huskies Hoops won by 31 vs. Alaska Fairbanks!

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:48 pm

hh.JPG
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:52 pm

By Percy Allen
Seattle Times staff reporter
Without saying it explicitly, Mike Hopkins gave every impression that he assembled a collection of newcomers capable of comprising the stingiest Husky defense since his Montlake arrival six years ago.

“We’re long,” Hopkins said smiling a few days ago. “Long like we’ve never been before and in places where it makes a difference. Long in the post and at the rim. Long on the wing and even at that top of the key like we were back with (Matisse Thybulle).

“Now it’s a matter of using that length and making it a strength. Seeing what we can do with it. Sometimes it’s hard to know because we’ve been going in practice against each other, but I’m anxious to see it looks when we go against somebody else.”

On Tuesday night, the Washington men’s basketball team uncoiled a revamped roster featuring four new starters that swarmed, smothered and harassed Division II Alaska Fairbanks during a 95-64 exhibition win at Alaska Airlines Arena.

There were several noticeable differences from the new and seemingly improved Huskies and team that finished 17-15 last season.

For starters, UW ditched its coveted 2-3 zone defense for most of the night and overwhelmed Alaska with a bevy of long-limbed and athletic defenders who turned 26 turnovers into 30 points.

The Huskies outrebounded the Nanooks 32-23 while tallying 18 steals and three blocks.

“This defense can be the best defense in the country,” guard Noah Williams said. “We have athletes. We have the size. Everybody out there is pretty much above 6-4 or 6-3. Everybody out there is pretty long. And we run. We fly around. The best thing about our defense is we have each other’s back. We know a guy on the backside is there for us.”

Offensively, Washington relied on a balanced attack while converting 9 of 20 three-pointers and relentlessly darting to the basket for 13 dunks, while shooting 58.7% from the field.

This was a night of firsts for seven UW newcomers, including Kentucky Wildcats transfer Keion Brooks Jr., who led the Huskies with 19 points, four rebounds and three assists.

“He’s an elite talent,” Hopkins said. “He makes the right play. He made a couple of really nice passes early. We got to find other ways to get (it to him). He’s really good in the post and on the elbow. … He’s definitely a go-to style of guy.”

During a scintillating sequence midway in the first half, Brooks dazzled the sparse crowd with three dunks on consecutive Husky possessions, capped by a flush that put them ahead 29-12.

Washington led 43-27 at halftime.

Whenever Alaska made a run in the second half, Brooks answered with a midrange jumper or corner three-pointer to keep Washington comfortably in the lead.

“I’m happy that we played hard,” Brooks said. “A lot of guys dove on the floor and made extra efforts. And then on the offensive end, we shared the ball and made the right play. Coach said we had 24 assists. When we’re doing that, it means everybody is touching the ball and having fun.”

In their UW debuts, Williams, who transferred from Washington State, finished with 12 points, 10 assists, five rebounds and six steals to offset four turnovers while freshman guard Keyon Menifield had 12 points on 6-for-7 shooting off the bench.

Jamal Bey added 11 points, including three three-pointers.

Washington opens the season at home on Monday against Weber State.

NOTE:

— Senior center Franck Kepnang left the game early because of an ankle sprain.
— Senior guard Cole Bajema was not with the team due to illness.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:49 pm

Holy Shit, 9 of 20 from three and man to man defense all night? The fans must have thought they were watching someone else!

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:18 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8n0Zchd_5w

^ here's the highlights.

Longest, most athletic UW team I've ever seen.

Mennifield looks lightning quick as a frosh guard and is a crafty finisher.

Williams is going to feast at the top of this zone and he's an amazing distributor.

Keion Brooks' dunks :shock:

Kepnang and Meah are gonna be tough to beat in this zone. Meah was a big surprise for me. He's really athletic for his size.

UW's rebounding has always been horrible under Hopkins... I don't see that being an issue anymore.

Only weakness I see in this team is outside shooting... they shot over a pretty small perimeter defense or had wide open looks. Fuller and Bey are probably our best... but they don't fill me with tons of confidence.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:58 pm

Wow, I just watched the first 5 minutes but great stuff.
dt