Opening night Game thread

D-train

Opening night Game thread

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:48 pm

Go Dawgs!!! Continue this exciting year in Seattle Sports!
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Opening night Game thread

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:37 pm

Wake me up when they make the tournament.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:19 pm

or rather "a tournament".

Odds are coach Laurel will find a way to get less out of the team than the sum of its parts.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:38 pm

Not as clean of a performance last night.

The lack of a guard who is willing to get in the paint and get dirty was a big reason for the slow start in the game. They just kept passing it around the exterior and taking outside shots despite having way more size. Turnovers were also a huge problem... just sloppy ball handling through out. They had 5 or so turnovers in the first 2-3 minutes.

Fouls were a big problem through out the game. The refs were horrible but that doesn't excuse 4 or so close out fouls on outside shooters. Meah had 3 fouls in about the first 5 minutes because he kept leaving his feet. Kepnang fouled out (although 2 of the foul calls he got were BS). Mennifield also got caught playing a bit too aggressive on the ball at times. He had 4 fouls in only 15 minutes.

My worry about their exterior shooting showed up in this game. They were just 6-19 from 3 and it's because a lot of the 3's weren't in rhythm or were forced. I'm not a big fan of PJ Fuller or Noah William's outside game. These are the two players that have to drive and kick... drive and kick, drive and kick! Bajema, Mennifield, and Bey should really be the only players putting up 3's on a consistent basis.

Keion Brooks also needs to limit the jump shots he takes. He finished just 6 of 15 from the floor... the majority of missed shots coming from long-ranged, off-balance jumpers. He was 1-5 from 3. He's got to take advantage of his leaping and recovery ability to get in the paint and rebound.

The defense played pretty well I thought. They got lucky that Weber St. missed a number of wide open 3's in the 2nd half, but overall it was fine. They finished with 7 blocks, 6 steals and forced 18 turnovers. Weber struggled with our length shooting just 35% from the field.

Noah Williams didn't play in the second half due to a leg injury which put the ball in Fuller and Mennifield's hands... I thought they did a fine job managing the offense in the 2nd half so it wasn't too big a drop off.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:59 pm

Not an impressive victory but it beats losing to Florida Goof Coast by 13.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:21 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:19 pm
or rather "a tournament".

Odds are coach Laurel will find a way to get less out of the team than the sum of its parts.
Not sure who coach Laurel is, but also not sure why the doubt? The guy took a bunch of dudes that Romar couldn't win three Conference games with to an NIT followed by a regular season Conference Champ and winning a Tourney game. We act like he had pros that he ruined. That was Romar, losing seasons with Lottery Picks.

Personally I was pretty impressed he was able to get the talent in here he has this year. Funny, all the negative shit said on the way out, and we are better off without some of the malcontents like Hammerhead Wright and his cronies.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:01 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:21 pm
Not sure who coach Laurel is, but also not sure why the doubt?
Probably because i stopped following Husky basketball 3 years ago and don't know what the fluck i'm talking about? :lol:

You haven't heard of Laurel and Hardy?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:12 pm

Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:01 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:21 pm
Not sure who coach Laurel is, but also not sure why the doubt?
Probably because i stopped following Husky basketball 3 years ago and don't know what the fluck i'm talking about? :lol:

You haven't heard of Laurel and Hardy?
Gotcha. I had lost a little interest at the end of the Roma era, it was just obvious he couldn't coach. He could recruit, but had no clue how to coach the kids he recruited. I like Hop, I don't believe we are going to be a National power under anyone, so my expectations on tempered a bit, but I honestly believe the same about the football program. It was hard enough to recruit to this side of the Nation when we did have the LA schools in our Conference.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:41 pm

I still don't get how they couldn't win with Jayden McDaniel, Quade Green, and that guy who was the #1 Forward in the nation out of HS(Stewart?).

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:07 pm

Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:41 pm
I still don't get how they couldn't win with Jayden McDaniel, Quade Green, and that guy who was the #1 Forward in the nation out of HS(Stewart?).
Not Hop finest moment, but I do have a theory. First, Jayden was a miscreant. An absolute tool bag....remember the Technical foul issues and the flat out dumb plays? They blew SOO many late leads it was ridiculous, just dumb basketball. Quade was also an idiot, got suspended for not even going to class. SO, they lost their PG, one of their best players was a dumbshit, and the offense revolved around a low post player with no one to get him the ball. OH, and it true Husky fashion, they didn't shoot well from the line or the three point stripe. That said, they beat Baylor that year! It just shows how immature young guys are.

Husky hoops has not been a breeding ground for success for one and dones. That said, imagine if Jaylen Nowell had come back for another year and was with that group? It would have changed everything, in my opinion. That team that beat Baylor was fun to watch, they just collapsed without a true PG, and then the real bone headedness showed up!