It's Duck week!

Michael K.

Re: It's Duck week!

Post by Michael K. » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:59 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:57 pm
I generally don't bother reading any posts that are longer than one screen length.
Which is much different on a phone that it is a PC.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:21 pm

I'm talking about on a phone. :lol:

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:03 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:58 pm
If we win out, UCLA beats USC, Oregon beats Utah and the Beavs beat Ducks then there will be a 5 way tie for 1st. lol
Trying to figure out the tie breakers for this scenario.

Scroll down and you will see the criteria
https://pac-12.com/football/standings

The 1st tie breaker for a multiple team tie is head to head win percentage but that is only applicable if all the teams have played each other. We have not played SC or Utah so it would move to the 2nd.

The 2nd tie breaker is win percentage against all common conference opponents that all of the teams have played. the only teams that all 5 in the tie breaker played will be Colorado, Stanford and Arizona. The only team who lost to one of these was UCLA who lost to Arizona. Therefore UCLA would be the first team eliminated.

I am unclear if at this point we restart back at the first tiebreaker or if we proceed to the 3rd tiebreaker. The rules say that if a team has an advantage and is seeded that then the rest of the teams remaining start back at the first tiebreaker. So I am going to assume that with a 4 way tie remaining that we just keep going down the list.

The 3rd tiebreaker is Record against the next highest placed common opponent in the standings. Oregon State has ASU this week and then our scenario assumes that they beat the Ducks so OSU would be that team. OSU did not play UCLA but UCLA is no longer in the tie breaker and OSU did play all of the other teams. OSU lost to USC, Washington and Utah and in this scenario would have beaten Oregon so Oregon would be the second team eliminated.

The 4th tie breaker is Conference strength of schedule. which is the win percentage of your conference opponents in conference games. We have to do some projecting here since the conference schedule isn't complete. We have already assumed that the top 5 are all 7-2 and that OSU is 6-3. We have also assumed that UW and Utah both beat Colorado at 1-8. The 5 way tie assumes UW over WSU and UCLA over CAL. That just leaves 3 games undetermined. 1. WSU vs Arizona I am going to guess the Cougs. 1. ASU vs Arizona I am going to guess Arizona 3. Cal vs Stanford Is a tossup so I will just guess Stanford. This means the final standings would be as follows.....

Oregon 7-2
UCLA 7-2
USC 7-2
Utah 7-2
Washington 7-2
Oregon State 6-3
Washington State 4-5
Arizona 3-6
Arizona State 2-7
Stanford 2-7
California 1-8
Colorado 1-8

With these standings the strength of schedule would be Utah .481, USC .407 and Washington .407.

So Utah would be the one seed. the rules say when there are two teams remaining they go back to the two team tie breakers it would be as follows.

1. Head to Head- no game so go to #2
2. Win percentage against the next highest placed common opponent. In this scenario Utah would be locked in as 1st. UW and USC would be considered tied for 2nd/3rd, Oregon would be 4th and UCLA 5th. USC did not play Oregon, and both teams would have lost to UCLA. Next up is OSU who they both beat. Then WSU who they would have both beat. Then Arizona who they both beat and then unfortunately ASU is next and the Trojans beat them while we lost.

So the final standings after tie breakers would be.
1. Utah
2. USC
3. UW
4. Oregon
5. UCLA

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:31 pm

I won't type out all the minutia but If USC beats UCLA and it is a 3 way tie for second we would lose out to Utah for the tie breaker.

Only way I see us getting in the championship game is if USC beats UCLA, Oregon Beats Utah and loses to the Beavs and Utah also loses to Colorado as well.

That would put it.
USC 8-1
Washington 7-2
Oregon 7-2
UCLA 6-3
Utah 6-3

Probably not going to happen. That ASU game really sunk us.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:45 pm

Yep, brutal. I guess it wasn't all that hot, but it still pisses me off that our first road game was in the desert, in the middle of the fucking day. I was at the ASU WSU game in early October of 2019. It was so fucking hot! Huge disadvantage to the road team. Not saying that is why we lost, but one of the few day games we get, and the fucking Pac gives it to us in Sunny AZ!?

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:31 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:45 pm
Yep, brutal. I guess it wasn't all that hot, but it still pisses me off that our first road game was in the desert, in the middle of the fucking day. I was at the ASU WSU game in early October of 2019. It was so fucking hot! Huge disadvantage to the road team. Not saying that is why we lost, but one of the few day games we get, and the fucking Pac gives it to us in Sunny AZ!?
And then play a night game in mid November in Seattle. This world is run by fools.
dt