It's Duck week!

Michael K.

It's Duck week!

Post by Michael K. » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:34 pm

This team is 7 and 2, should be 8 and 1 or better...we are about to travel to PU Gene for the biggest game of the year, and NOTHING in here? Damn, I realize the Mariners are finally relevant and the Seahawks are shocking the world, but am I the only big time dawg fan in this place?

My fondest sports memories are in that stadium, not watching the Mariners in a fucking dome lose 100 games, not watching Zorn run scared in a damn ugly ass dome....beautiful Saturday afternoons on Montlake. Did 0 and 12 deplete the fan base? Did the ugliness that was how Slick Rick, Tequila Steve and Jimmy Mistake By The Lake departed chase off fans?

We are literally one bad snap over Penix' head from being 8 and 1 and in the Hunt for a Pac 12 Title, and on Duck week it's crickets. I talk to myself during game threads, what gives fellas? Has this team lost it's fan base with the older crowd like us? Too many late games? Not enough of us remember watching Emtman blast the Arizona QB on the first play from scrimmage, help him up and say "I'll be back", only for the QB to reply...."I know"? No one else fondly remembers the Nebraska fans cheering our guys off the field they were so good? Marinovich saying "All I saw was Purple"? John Ross making a one handed grab to ice the Pac 12 ship? Browning pointing in the face of a Duck as we scored 70 in Autzen? There are more posts about an ex Seahawk QB than there are about the current Husky QB.

All the had wringing over our defense, and we actually only give up about a half a point per game more than the Ducks right now. The secondary has gotten healthy, and we appeared to make the necessary adjustments in the run game last week. They run the ball much better than we do, but I'll take our QB over theirs any day. I wish this wasn't in Autzen, but I like our chances.

Interesting that the Huskies are 7 and 2, but 4 and 5 against the spread! Oregon is 8 and 1, but 7 and 2 against the spread. The early line is Oregon by 13.5 So, if Vegas is right, our stay in the Top 25 will be one week this time instead of two! Odd kick off time of 4:00 means those idiot Duck fans will be lathered into a frenzy of Marijuana and White Claws. Let's punch those fuckers in the mouth!

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: It's Duck week!

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:54 pm

Fuck the Ducks. Let's not help them get into the playoffs.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:10 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:34 pm
This team is 7 and 2, should be 8 and 1 or better...we are about to travel to PU Gene for the biggest game of the year, and NOTHING in here? Damn, I realize the Mariners are finally relevant and the Seahawks are shocking the world, but am I the only big time dawg fan in this place?

My fondest sports memories are in that stadium, not watching the Mariners in a fucking dome lose 100 games, not watching Zorn run scared in a damn ugly ass dome....beautiful Saturday afternoons on Montlake. Did 0 and 12 deplete the fan base? Did the ugliness that was how Slick Rick, Tequila Steve and Jimmy Mistake By The Lake departed chase off fans?

We are literally one bad snap over Penix' head from being 8 and 1 and in the Hunt for a Pac 12 Title, and on Duck week it's crickets. I talk to myself during game threads, what gives fellas? Has this team lost it's fan base with the older crowd like us? Too many late games? Not enough of us remember watching Emtman blast the Arizona QB on the first play from scrimmage, help him up and say "I'll be back", only for the QB to reply...."I know"? No one else fondly remembers the Nebraska fans cheering our guys off the field they were so good? Marinovich saying "All I saw was Purple"? John Ross making a one handed grab to ice the Pac 12 ship? Browning pointing in the face of a Duck as we scored 70 in Autzen? There are more posts about an ex Seahawk QB than there are about the current Husky QB.

All the had wringing over our defense, and we actually only give up about a half a point per game more than the Ducks right now. The secondary has gotten healthy, and we appeared to make the necessary adjustments in the run game last week. They run the ball much better than we do, but I'll take our QB over theirs any day. I wish this wasn't in Autzen, but I like our chances.

Interesting that the Huskies are 7 and 2, but 4 and 5 against the spread! Oregon is 8 and 1, but 7 and 2 against the spread. The early line is Oregon by 13.5 So, if Vegas is right, our stay in the Top 25 will be one week this time instead of two! Odd kick off time of 4:00 means those idiot Duck fans will be lathered into a frenzy of Marijuana and White Claws. Let's punch those fuckers in the mouth!
Only Wednesday brother! I haven't even submitted my NFL picks yet! :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=dog+wit ... HLm_jjB3dM
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:04 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:10 pm

The Mariners won't play until Spring Training and there are probably a full page of threads with new comments. Your response kind of answers my question. There is just not much interest. Again, I think guys our age are spoiled. This is a great team in comparison to many we have witnessed in the past fifteen or twenty years. BUT, it's not the late 80s or early 90s Dawgs, so people are more interested in just about everything else. It's too bad, because as I mentioned, there is ZERO experience in sports like a Saturday afternoon at a college football game.

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:36 pm

One of my favorite memories came in 1967 when Frat Row had what we termed "signs" in front of their houses. The best ever was a Dawg raising his leg on a Duck. Go Dawgs even though I suspect Oregon is too well balanced offensively for us to defend. Love to be wrong brothers.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:45 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:04 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:10 pm

The Mariners won't play until Spring Training and there are probably a full page of threads with new comments. Your response kind of answers my question. There is just not much interest. Again, I think guys our age are spoiled. This is a great team in comparison to many we have witnessed in the past fifteen or twenty years. BUT, it's not the late 80s or early 90s Dawgs, so people are more interested in just about everything else. It's too bad, because as I mentioned, there is ZERO experience in sports like a Saturday afternoon at a college football game.
Totally agree but a lot of Pro Sports fans don't feel any connection to college sports. I bet 90% of the BRING BACK OUR SONICS!!! crowd never watches Husky Hoops. I was totally into college football and basketball as a kid and my parents never went to college..
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:49 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:45 pm

Totally agree but a lot of Pro Sports fans don't feel any connection to college sports. I bet 90% of the BRING BACK OUR SONICS!!! crowd never watches Husky Hoops. I was totally into college football and basketball as a kid and my parents never went to college..
My first Husky game Ray Horton was playing Corner and Tom Flick was playing QB. I loved EVERY FREAKING SECOND. We went to one a year pretty much from that year on. It was a lot easier back then, as we just got up early and drove over. Now? I had to wait until a day or two ago to even find out what time this Saturday's game kicked off! I feel terrible that my son has only been to one game, but it is nearly impossible for us to plan. My wife and I went to the UCLA game last year and it was a blast. Beer in the stadium now can make a terrible product more palatable!

I have looked many times this year for tickets, but many games didn't have times attached, so we never knew if we needed a room the night before or the night of. I guess I should have just gotten both! Pretty damn expensive now a days in Seattle to do that though. Would be around $500 or more just to have a place to sleep.

My connection with the college football program is deeper than with the Seahawks. I watched the Seahawks from the very first year, but it just wasn't the same...that part of me has never changed. The Rick Mirer years were tough, the team that lost like 13 games but Tez won Defensive Player of the Year? Hard years to live through...nothing like what I experienced during 0 and 12, and honestly? Last year was worse. Paint Dry Ty was terrible, but Jimmy was worse. Jimmy had talent. Once Ty lost Locker that year he was screwed, and they STILL should have beaten the Cougs. Jimmy was an asshole that ruined or chased off talent.

As excited as I am about the Mariners possibly adding another bat or two, about the prospects that we are about to start another great run with the Seahawks, I am more excited about this Husky team and their future. Again, let's all start a petition to get Pennix some NIL money! The Super Bowl was amazing, it really was, but think back to the Rose Bowl when Mario did the Heisman. Imagine if that had been a National Championship game and not just a Bowl game! I realize it would have been against Miami, but that would have made it even sweeter!

I love the Hawks, love the Mariners even, especially now that Lincoln and Armstrong are gone. I just have more history and a deeper love for Husky football. I think we even had more contributors on the Times forum than here. As much better as this place is, that is my only regret. That obviously the die hard Husky fans either don't post anymore or didn't make the migration over here.

As for the Sonics? I will always have a fond place in my heart for those early teams with Sikma, DJ and Gus, and nothing can compare to watching the Glove and ReignMan version of that team. But the time has come and gone. I couldn't care less if the NBA ever comes back.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:36 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:49 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:45 pm

My first Husky game Ray Horton was playing Corner and Tom Flick was playing QB. I loved EVERY FREAKING SECOND. We went to one a year pretty much from that year on. It was a lot easier back then, as we just got up early and drove over. Now? I had to wait until a day or two ago to even find out what time this Saturday's game kicked off! I feel terrible that my son has only been to one game, but it is nearly impossible for us to plan. My wife and I went to the UCLA game last year and it was a blast. Beer in the stadium now can make a terrible product more palatable!

I have looked many times this year for tickets, but many games didn't have times attached, so we never knew if we needed a room the night before or the night of. I guess I should have just gotten both! Pretty damn expensive now a days in Seattle to do that though. Would be around $500 or more just to have a place to sleep.

My connection with the college football program is deeper than with the Seahawks. I watched the Seahawks from the very first year, but it just wasn't the same...that part of me has never changed. The Rick Mirer years were tough, the team that lost like 13 games but Tez won Defensive Player of the Year? Hard years to live through...nothing like what I experienced during 0 and 12, and honestly? Last year was worse. Paint Dry Ty was terrible, but Jimmy was worse. Jimmy had talent. Once Ty lost Locker that year he was screwed, and they STILL should have beaten the Cougs. Jimmy was an asshole that ruined or chased off talent.

As excited as I am about the Mariners possibly adding another bat or two, about the prospects that we are about to start another great run with the Seahawks, I am more excited about this Husky team and their future. Again, let's all start a petition to get Pennix some NIL money! The Super Bowl was amazing, it really was, but think back to the Rose Bowl when Mario did the Heisman. Imagine if that had been a National Championship game and not just a Bowl game! I realize it would have been against Miami, but that would have made it even sweeter!

I love the Hawks, love the Mariners even, especially now that Lincoln and Armstrong are gone. I just have more history and a deeper love for Husky football. I think we even had more contributors on the Times forum than here. As much better as this place is, that is my only regret. That obviously the die hard Husky fans either don't post anymore or didn't make the migration over here.

As for the Sonics? I will always have a fond place in my heart for those early teams with Sikma, DJ and Gus, and nothing can compare to watching the Glove and ReignMan version of that team. But the time has come and gone. I couldn't care less if the NBA ever comes back.
Good stuff brother. Thanks for Sharing. I have talked with Mario on Twitter. The opening kick when Napoleon returned it to midfield was complete insanity. I drove from Columbus, OH to Pasadena solo for the game. This is me and me college buddies at Venice beach just a few hours before Kick off.
Venice Beach New Years day 1992.jpg
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:45 pm

I did tell you the story of getting maced twice at the 89 Apple cup?

https://www.washington.edu/alumni/colum ... s0999.html
dt

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:05 am

I'm really into this game Michael, but you won't like my reason why - having grown up in Eugene i am still a Duck as well as a Dawg fan.
yes i'm a unicorn (or worse, y'all can call me)

This will be one of the few times i'm rooting for the ducks in this rivalry given their still plausible path to the CFP (if they win out - in no other scenario do they make it) and the fact that the Dawgs are bowl-bound regardless.

that said, I'll be happy whatever the outcome.

really pleased how quickly DeBoer returned us to relevance after the considerable damage done the last 3 years.