It's Duck week!

Michael K.

Re: It's Duck week!

Post by Michael K. » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:31 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:58 pm
If we win out, UCLA beats USC, Oregon beats Utah and the Beavs beat Ducks then there will be a 5 way tie for 1st. lol
The Cougs are playing good football. Our part might be the hardest. Here’s hoping we plant a flag at midfield!

Fungo

Post by Fungo » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:25 am

I just watched the Oregon game again today. Oregon had a 4th down and 3 on the 26 yard line with 4 minutes remaining in the game. Oregon leading 31 to 27. With a 4 point Duck lead the Huskies have to score a touchdown to take the lead, with a 7 point Duck lead they still would have to score a touchdown to tie (which they did) or possibly take the lead with a two point conversion. Either way the Huskies had to score a touchdown. The Ducks had been running nearly at will on the Dawgs and the 3 yards seemed quite reasonable. If the Ducks had tried and made the first down they would have a first down in the red zone with under 4 minutes to go looking to take a 38 to 27 likely insurmountable lead. If they tried and failed the Huskies would still have to go 80 yards to score the go ahead points. I think Lanning made the wrong call and a call that arguably lost the game for them. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he made the call he did but if I were an Oregon fan I would be doing a lot of second guessing that call.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:35 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:31 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:58 pm
If we win out, UCLA beats USC, Oregon beats Utah and the Beavs beat Ducks then there will be a 5 way tie for 1st. lol
The Cougs are playing good football. Our part might be the hardest. Here’s hoping we plant a flag at midfield!
My Mom always said two wrongs don't make a right! I say revenge is a dish best served with a Flag pole! :lol:
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:36 pm

Let's not overlook Colorado or we might get Sundivil'ed again.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:07 pm

Fungo wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:25 am
I just watched the Oregon game again today. Oregon had a 4th down and 3 on the 26 yard line with 4 minutes remaining in the game. Oregon leading 31 to 27. With a 4 point Duck lead the Huskies have to score a touchdown to take the lead, with a 7 point Duck lead they still would have to score a touchdown to tie (which they did) or possibly take the lead with a two point conversion. Either way the Huskies had to score a touchdown. The Ducks had been running nearly at will on the Dawgs and the 3 yards seemed quite reasonable. If the Ducks had tried and made the first down they would have a first down in the red zone with under 4 minutes to go looking to take a 38 to 27 likely insurmountable lead. If they tried and failed the Huskies would still have to go 80 yards to score the go ahead points. I think Lanning made the wrong call and a call that arguably lost the game for them. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he made the call he did but if I were an Oregon fan I would be doing a lot of second guessing that call.
Tough call. I don't think either team has a great kicking game. Seems like a 43 yard kick is far from a gimme for most of the college kickers I have watched this year. Oregon is agreesive, always is, and the new coach seems to have carried on with that tradition. It was my biggest beef with how we handled the first half. I understand taking the three points that we did, but if you are NOT going to go for it on fourth down, you can't run on 3rd down, and we did it not once, but twice. One resulted in a punt and a TD by Oregon like five plays later. Inexcusable. You have quite possibly the best player in the Conference at QB, and certainly the best player on your team, and in those critical third downs you take him out.

This staff is far from on my list, I love what they have done. Doesn't mean they won't make mistakes. I think some critical ones cost them the UCLA game. Shotgun run in our own endzone is not a great call, but toss sweep is terrible. Then they panicked when the tidal wave hit us in the second quarter. Live and learn, UCLA is a good team and that was our first road game. What's positive about Saturday Night is that everything pointed to a second half where Oregon kicks our ass, IMO. You can't only be ahead three points after the way we pretty much outplayed them the entire first half. As much as I back Chris Petersen's place in this School's history? His Husky teams lose that game more than they win it. It was why I was so mad in the first half. It smelled so much like all the other Oregon games we should have won and decided to do dumb shit and get conservative.

I thought Browning's finger wag was when this rivalry would shift back to us. We followed the 70 point barrage in Autzen with a 38 to 3 beat down at home that, as I remember it, actually left me wanting. Then? The OT debacle in Oregon where Chris Petersen decided to let the clock tick down instead of gain yards for his mediocre place kicker. The kick was missed, like every one wearing purple BUT CP knew would happen, and honestly? The tide turned again...it was obvious who would approach this rivalry with a chip on their shoulder, and who was scared of it. The next year? We dominated them, except for about three or four times we decided that even though Jacob Eason was shredding them? We would go WildCat on third down. The biggest issue was, we used our 3rd string Tailback. The Wildcat had worked early in the year, with Newton. It never worked since, but they didn't care. Think about it, that would have been four straight, and Saturday would have made five out of six with three in PUgene!

So, I apologize for those that got pissed at me venting in the first half, but I don't regret it. It was exactly how I felt, and we were going right back down that path. Think back to the beginning of the CP era. We were battling a real good Stanford team. Opted to punt from midfield on fourth and real short. Yep, the same guys that called statue of liberty plays and all sorts of tricks had gone completely soft in Purple. Well, Stanford not only scored two or three more times, they did so by converting on fourth down three or four times. Shoved it right in our faces.

The fact that he didn't change was a HUGE reason I was fired up about DeBoer. Shit, the guy told us that on third and goal from the one, in a game inside a minute where a FG wins it, in nasty conditions against Oregon State? It took all he had to settle for a game winning FG. And then he does this in Eugene? Glad he saw the light at halftime.

Fungo

Post by Fungo » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:44 pm

Hey Michael, even when you are totally upset your comments make sense. I felt the same way when we tried to run the ball on those third downs. Like you said, there are always going to be some boneheaded calls. I'm more worried about DeBoer's decisions coming up on who will be the next quarterback. We would still be looking for our 5th win this year had Morris been our quarterback. The difference between Penix and Morris is beyond belief and if Huard is worse than Morris we will be in big trouble next year with Penix gone. This year should spark our recruiting and I'm sure there will be more interest in the UW from some highly regarded receivers and quarterbacks and hopefully some defensive gems. Things are looking up.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:47 pm

My hope is that he is able to bring in some HS kids that have either enough talent to start right away and thrive, or Redshirt behind another transfer. His relationship with Pennix was huge this year, but I would have to believe that the success Pennix has had would put us on the radar for lots of recruits and transfers. Hard to believe that the way this year has gone, our biggest concern for next year is QB, but the thought of Dylon Morris playing another meaningful down here scares the shit out of me.

One of my buddies has an interesting theory. Once they moved Sirmon to RB, this roster basically had three QBs. He thinks that Morris is two because the staff had to promise that to him in order for him not to transfer and leave them with only two QBs for this year.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:18 am

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:07 pm
Fungo wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:25 am
Tough call. I don't think either team has a great kicking game. Seems like a 43 yard kick is far from a gimme for most of the college kickers I have watched this year. Oregon is agreesive, always is, and the new coach seems to have carried on with that tradition. It was my biggest beef with how we handled the first half. I understand taking the three points that we did, but if you are NOT going to go for it on fourth down, you can't run on 3rd down, and we did it not once, but twice. One resulted in a punt and a TD by Oregon like five plays later. Inexcusable. You have quite possibly the best player in the Conference at QB, and certainly the best player on your team, and in those critical third downs you take him out.

This staff is far from on my list, I love what they have done. Doesn't mean they won't make mistakes. I think some critical ones cost them the UCLA game. Shotgun run in our own endzone is not a great call, but toss sweep is terrible. Then they panicked when the tidal wave hit us in the second quarter. Live and learn, UCLA is a good team and that was our first road game. What's positive about Saturday Night is that everything pointed to a second half where Oregon kicks our ass, IMO. You can't only be ahead three points after the way we pretty much outplayed them the entire first half. As much as I back Chris Petersen's place in this School's history? His Husky teams lose that game more than they win it. It was why I was so mad in the first half. It smelled so much like all the other Oregon games we should have won and decided to do dumb shit and get conservative.

I thought Browning's finger wag was when this rivalry would shift back to us. We followed the 70 point barrage in Autzen with a 38 to 3 beat down at home that, as I remember it, actually left me wanting. Then? The OT debacle in Oregon where Chris Petersen decided to let the clock tick down instead of gain yards for his mediocre place kicker. The kick was missed, like every one wearing purple BUT CP knew would happen, and honestly? The tide turned again...it was obvious who would approach this rivalry with a chip on their shoulder, and who was scared of it. The next year? We dominated them, except for about three or four times we decided that even though Jacob Eason was shredding them? We would go WildCat on third down. The biggest issue was, we used our 3rd string Tailback. The Wildcat had worked early in the year, with Newton. It never worked since, but they didn't care. Think about it, that would have been four straight, and Saturday would have made five out of six with three in PUgene!

So, I apologize for those that got pissed at me venting in the first half, but I don't regret it. It was exactly how I felt, and we were going right back down that path. Think back to the beginning of the CP era. We were battling a real good Stanford team. Opted to punt from midfield on fourth and real short. Yep, the same guys that called statue of liberty plays and all sorts of tricks had gone completely soft in Purple. Well, Stanford not only scored two or three more times, they did so by converting on fourth down three or four times. Shoved it right in our faces.

The fact that he didn't change was a HUGE reason I was fired up about DeBoer. Shit, the guy told us that on third and goal from the one, in a game inside a minute where a FG wins it, in nasty conditions against Oregon State? It took all he had to settle for a game winning FG. And then he does this in Eugene? Glad he saw the light at halftime.
I was just thinking at even though I have 6x more posts than you your average post length could easily be 6x longer so we might spend about the same time posting here. :)
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:40 pm

You can always tell if I am on my phone. The posts are a sentence or two. Except now, as I am on my computer but don't have much more to add. LOL

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:57 pm

I generally don't bother reading any posts that are longer than one screen length.