Re: Apple Cup week thread - It's on!

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:19 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:28 pm
Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:37 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:01 am

I'd love to complain about tie breakers and this and that, but look at Oregon or Utah's losses, and compare them to the fact that ASU beat us.

Besides, Utah will probably get beaten by USC, so of we can win tonight? I'd imagine we go to the Rose. Think abour this, the last time we went to the Rose Bowl, Drew Brees was in college, not a future Hall of Fame QB announcer!
The last Rose Bowl the University of Washington went to was not the 2001 Rose Bowl.
January 1, 2019; Coach Peterson got the Dawgs to the Rose Bowl and lost to The Ohio State University 23-28.

If memory serves me properly, we held the Buckeyes to one TD in the 2nd half, but our 1st half offense was non-existant.
Welcome back! Yeah I was going to say I thought that was the case but was too lazy to confirm...
I found this to be another infuriating loss by Peterson.
Shitty first half play; because they didn't know how to game-plan for good teams?
Then a great 2nd half; because they finally knew what the other team was doing?

This and the Fiesta Bowl were carbon copies of one another.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:23 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:06 pm
That's right. Still, I am thrilled with a Rose Bowl appearance this year. Just have to hope that USC wins and the committee does the right thing and puts them in.
I tend to agree. But I don't know if I want a shot at Ohio State with the defense we have.

This team, although doesn't seem fragile, worries me if they get a major beat-down on the national stage.....kind of reminds me of what Bama did to us in the the Peach Bowl. That bowl game, although close-ish in score, didn't reflect the beat-down that happened. We did just enough to make it not look like a beat-down....but it was.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:00 pm

Could be Penn St.
Where: Pasadena, California

Matchup: Big Ten vs. Pac-12

The Situation: Michigan's 22-point win over Ohio State initially seemed to hurt Penn State's Rose Bowl chances. The Lions' best bet for Pasadena appeared to involve two Big Ten teams in the playoff, which remains possible. However, here's another option: The Rose Bowl invites Penn State instead of Ohio State, which heads to the Orange Bowl instead.

It's possible. The Rose Bowl states that, if a conference champ makes the playoff, it "traditionally" would select the next-highest ranked conference team. But its selection procedures include caveats regarding recent appearances and best matchups. This season represents a fine opportunity to break tradition. Ohio State likely will be the highest-ranked Big Ten or SEC team, making it eligible for selection to the Orange Bowl. It has played in the Rose Bowl twice since 2018, including last year against Utah, which faces USC in the Pac-12 title game.

Meanwhile, the Buckeyes last played in the Orange Bowl in the 2013 season. And Penn State can offer the Rose Bowl an energized fan base on a four-game win streak. The Lions haven't been there since the 2016 season.

The swap makes sense as a break from that tradition. One issue might the potential for a Penn State-Washington rematch of the 2017 Fiesta Bowl, though that was a lifetime ago in college football years. The Huskies had a different coaching staff, and Sean Clifford was a freshman.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:01 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:19 pm

I found this to be another infuriating loss by Peterson.
Shitty first half play; because they didn't know how to game-plan for good teams?
Then a great 2nd half; because they finally knew what the other team was doing?

This and the Fiesta Bowl were carbon copies of one another.
Yep, horrible offensive game planning. Pete's Achilles heel was his OC's. The Auburn loss, the Ohio State loss, the Penn State loss...and several other losses in Conference to lesser opponents all fell on incredibly vanilla offenses that were scared of their opponent. John Smith is still not a very good play caller, but had ZERO business being an OC when we hired him. And yet? Besides Tedford? He was the best offensive hire Pete made. It confuses the shit out of me how a coach as good as Pete felt he had to settle at the OC position.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:03 pm

#9 Ranking. Ahead of both Oregon schools, Not too shabby!

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:24 pm

ddraig wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:03 pm
Ahead of every Pac 12 team but USC. I told my son I was hoping for 8 or 9 wins this year, so this is fantastic. Sure is nice to see an offense that you can actually watch and it makes sense, not simply slamming your head against a brick wall on every first or second down. Let's hope we can get some playmakers on the back end of the defense, and maybe a few studs at LB as well.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:09 pm

1991 D combined with the 2022 Offense. :shock:
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:22 pm

There was nothing wrong with the 91 offense, just played in a different era. Imagine how many points they would put up now, in a more wide open time? Our third string Tailback would was Nap Kauffman! It would sure be interesting to see that attacking defense against today's hurry up offenses.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:48 pm

ddraig wrote:
Northwest Championship as slick rick use to say. :lol:

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:11 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:48 pm
ddraig wrote:
Northwest Championship as slick rick use to say. :lol:
Reading some of the things DeBoer was saying this season lead me to believe we may have another coach that takes pride in beating Oregon, Oregon State and WAZU. Those two years that Petersen won the mythical "Northwest Championship" were pretty fun. Be nice to continue this for a few years.