Apple Cup week thread - It's on!

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Apple Cup week thread - It's on!

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:12 pm

I was actually half-way pulling for WSU to win so that there would be seven Pac-12 teams ranked in the top 25. Besides what good did the win do for UW? It just raises expectations for DeBoer with little chance of meeting them without Penix next year and beyond. I mean, how many games would they have won with Morris or Huard in there this year? 6 maybe?

Question: should USC decline to play in the Pac-12 championship game if they move past Ohio St and into the top 4 of the CFP ranking today?

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:19 pm

Short answer? Yes. They should go into the College Playoffs without the need to play in the Rose Bowl. Besides, why would they want to play for the Pac-12 at this point?

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:24 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:12 pm
I was actually half-way pulling for WSU to win so that there would be seven Pac-12 teams ranked in the top 25. Besides what good did the win do for UW? It just raises expectations for DeBoer with little chance of meeting them without Penix next year and beyond. I mean, how many games would they have won with Morris or Huard in there this year? 6 maybe?

Question: should USC decline to play in the Pac-12 championship game if they move past Ohio St and into the top 4 of the CFP ranking today?
Winning the Apple cup and getting that 10th win is good for recruiting.

Is their even an option of declining the championship game? I would think that would count as a forfeit and go down as a loss on their record.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:26 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:24 pm

Is their even an option of declining the championship game? I would think that would count as a forfeit and go down as a loss on their record.
I doubt that is an option, and could easily see the committee not letting them in if they did. As for the Penix situation, we’d have half as many wins with Morris, maybe fewer, but I don’t think next year’s QB is on this roster right now. What QB isn’t going to want to play in this offense?

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:46 pm

Captain 97 wrote:

Yep obviously.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:51 pm

Where does this put Penix in the list of all time great UW QBs. Only one season but still.

Check this out Warren Moon's Sr year vs. Penix :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Moon 113-199 56% 1584 Yards 11 TDs and 7 INTs

Penix 330-500 66% 4354 Yards 29 TDs and 7 INTs.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:09 am

D-train wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:46 pm
Captain 97 wrote:

Yep obviously.
Yes it was more of a rhetorical question than a serious one. You know how much i despise these conference championship games.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:37 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:01 am
D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:42 pm
Welp Utah is already winning so no title game but still a good shot at the Rose if Ducks lose once or twice.
I'd love to complain about tie breakers and this and that, but look at Oregon or Utah's losses, and compare them to the fact that ASU beat us.

Besides, Utah will probably get beaten by USC, so of we can win tonight? I'd imagine we go to the Rose. Think abour this, the last time we went to the Rose Bowl, Drew Brees was in college, not a future Hall of Fame QB announcer!
The last Rose Bowl the University of Washington went to was not the 2001 Rose Bowl.
January 1, 2019; Coach Peterson got the Dawgs to the Rose Bowl and lost to The Ohio State University 23-28.

If memory serves me properly, we held the Buckeyes to one TD in the 2nd half, but our 1st half offense was non-existant.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:28 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:37 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:01 am
D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:42 pm
Welp Utah is already winning so no title game but still a good shot at the Rose if Ducks lose once or twice.
I'd love to complain about tie breakers and this and that, but look at Oregon or Utah's losses, and compare them to the fact that ASU beat us.

Besides, Utah will probably get beaten by USC, so of we can win tonight? I'd imagine we go to the Rose. Think abour this, the last time we went to the Rose Bowl, Drew Brees was in college, not a future Hall of Fame QB announcer!
The last Rose Bowl the University of Washington went to was not the 2001 Rose Bowl.
January 1, 2019; Coach Peterson got the Dawgs to the Rose Bowl and lost to The Ohio State University 23-28.

If memory serves me properly, we held the Buckeyes to one TD in the 2nd half, but our 1st half offense was non-existant.
Welcome back! Yeah I was going to say I thought that was the case but was too lazy to confirm...
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:06 pm

That's right. Still, I am thrilled with a Rose Bowl appearance this year. Just have to hope that USC wins and the committee does the right thing and puts them in.