Apple Cup week thread - It's on!

D-train

Apple Cup week thread - It's on!

Post by D-train » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:29 pm

By Mike Vorel
Seattle Times staff reporter
Kalen DeBoer didn’t need to be educated on the results of the 2021 Apple Cup.

When Washington State produced the largest margin of victory for any Coug win in the series with a 40-13 throttling; when WSU fans flooded over the barricades inside Husky Stadium; when then-Coug quarterback Jayden de Laura planted a crimson flag nearly 300 miles from Pullman; when Washington closed its 4-8 season with a whimper, as well as a lame duck staff … DeBoer was watching.

Granted, it wasn’t a scouting mission, per se. Following UW’s 54-7 Senior Day win over Colorado on Saturday, DeBoar said: “I knew there was a chance there was interest in me. [Conversations] just had started right about then.”

Soon enough, he’d know for sure.

“Three days later I was here in front of the team [after being hired],” DeBoer said. “So that [Apple Cup result] was something I brought up the first time I met with those guys, on that Monday night. I think it’s something we’ve hung onto all season long. You can’t sit there and worry about it and think about it … until now. Because each of those games we’ve been playing has been the most important. And now [the most important game] is this coming week.”

At 7:30 p.m. Saturday on ESPN at Gesa Field in Pullman, DeBoer gets his first shot at the Cougars.

In DeBoer’s first year at UW, a whole lot has changed. The Huskies wrapped up a perfect 7-0 home record with Saturday’s Colorado romp. They pummeled Michigan State in nonconference play and punctured Oregon’s CFP chances with a 37-34 road rivalry win. At 9-2, a conference title and Rose Bowl berth are still in play.

But the Cougs (7-4), as always, stand in their way.

“I’m definitely thinking about that game, that’s for sure, just because the Apple Cup is huge to us and that’s the standard we have around here,” sixth-year senior left guard Jaxson Kirkland said Saturday. “Of course, after last year, we’ll never forget that. It’s an extremely motivating week. We’re all excited around here.”

Taulapapa triumphs through tragedy
After it was over, Wayne Taulapapa climbed into the crowd, where 22 family members and friends awaited. They draped Hawaiian leis over his head, hugged and posed for pictures, holding signs featuring Taulapapa’s smiling face.

Six days earlier, three of Taulapapa’s former Virginia teammates — junior wide receiver Lavel Davis Jr., junior linebacker D’Sean Perry and junior wide receiver Devin Chandler — were shot and killed. The graduate student running back played his final game inside Husky Stadium with their numbers — 41, 1, 15 — scrawled in silver marker under his right eye.

The 5-foot-11, 207-pound running back from Honolulu led the Huskies with 107 rushing yards, 9.7 yards per carry and two touchdowns.

He did so, he says, for more than himself.

“It was tough,” Taulapapa said Saturday. “But at the end of the day, you want to play for more than yourself, and that’s something I saw as an opportunity. [The shooting] was something that doesn’t happen. It came abruptly. But I was blessed with great teammates and great coaches that pushed me along and have been the greatest support system I could ever ask for.”

Added DeBoer: “For him to have the game he had … the team’s just been great with him all week. It’s because he’s been so critical to our success — just with the leadership he brings and the consistency in who he is as a person, not just as a football player. That hard-nosed, tough grittiness he brings got us off and rolling as a team, not just offensively, from the beginning of the season.”

Taulapapa — voted a captain at both Washington and Virginia — has made a positive impact from coast to coast.

But he’s adamant about sharing the credit.

“With all this hard work, it wasn’t just me,” said Taulapapa, who has rushed for 653 yards with 5.8 yards per carry and 10 total touchdowns in 11 games. “It was all those people that were in the stands. They helped raise me. It takes a community. So that was for them and all the hard work they put in. It wasn’t just my work but all of us together.”

O-line camaraderie
After winning their final game inside Husky Stadium, left guard Jaxson Kirkland and right guard Henry Bainivalu — a pair of sixth-year seniors — strolled into the locker room with their arms around each other.

“It was so emotional,” said Kirkland, who helped pave the way for 280 rushing yards, 6.5 yards per carry and five rushing touchdowns Saturday. “We just couldn’t believe it. The fact that we finished out 7-0 [at home], it was amazing. So we were just reminiscing. All that hard work and how long we’ve been here, it seems like it’s really paying off. And we’re not stopping for anything. It was a special moment between both of us.”

Expectations of success
DeBoer has not been surprised by UW’s sudden success.

“I expected us to have a lot of success. I really did,” the first-year Husky coach said Saturday. “Once we got into fall camp, there were some points where I just realized we’ve got some good things happening. Offensively we could score and defensively we could still cause a lot of problems for the offense. I thought the chemistry that was building within the team was special.

“It’s a lot of the character that we have in the personnel, the players. They were really taking everything that we were giving them. We were grinding them through fall camp. We were pushing hard, and they never resisted. The X’s and O’s are one thing, and the execution kept being at an elite level relative to what I’d seen in years past in the first year of a program. I thought with the talent we had, we could do some damage.”

Huard still sits
After UW quarterback Michael Penix Jr. was pulled as a precaution in the third quarter Saturday, sophomore Dylan Morris proceeded to complete 4 of 7 passes for 66 yards with a touchdown and an interception, while adding 32 rushing yards.

Redshirt freshman Sam Huard — who has only played Sept. 10 against Portland State, completing 2 of 2 passes for 24 yards — continued to sit.

“Yeah, there was [consideration to play Huard],” DeBoer said Saturday. “It’s just that all of a sudden the quarter goes faster than you want. After we had the ball that bounced off Jack [Westover] coming across [for an unlucky interception], I wanted to get it back and get in a rhythm. Then the next drive takes a long time and all of a sudden the quarter’s over.

“You want them to be quality reps, too, and by the time you get to the last drive right at the end it’s not like you’re going to be slinging it all over the yard. We’re definitely always trying to get those guys as many reps as possible, and I thought Dylan did a nice job of coming in and executing.”

Note
Saturday’s Apple Cup at Martin Stadium in Pullman will kick off at 7:30 p.m. and be broadcast on ESPN, the Pac-12 announced Sunday. It’s UW’s sixth 7:30 p.m. kickoff of the season.
dt

Michael K.

Re: Apple Cup week thread - It's on!

Post by Michael K. » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:47 pm

Lot's of good news to read about this team. I only disliked "Huard still sits". LOL

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:49 pm

This is defeatist Horse shit. Beat USC and go to the Rose Bowl and beat Michigan and finish top 5.
By Matt Calkins
Seattle Times columnist
Ridiculous question, or reasonable one?

What if Washington fans should root for UCLA on Friday night, and if the Bruins lose, pull for Oregon the next day? A Bruins or Ducks win, after all, would ensure that the Huskies be kept out of the Pac-12 Championship Game regardless of what happens in the Apple Cup.

Perhaps that sounds more like flagellation than it does fandom, but I’ve heard this point brought up by multiple people over the past few days. The idea is if 12th-ranked UW (9-2, 6-2 Pac-12) beats Washington State (7-4, 4-4) in Pullman, it ensures itself a 10-2 record and a very plausible shot at a New Year’s Six bowl — most likely the Cotton. There is even the possibility that the Huskies slide into the Rose Bowl — still dripping with prestige — should USC win out and reach the College Football Playoff.

What would derail these destinations, of course, would be a loss in the Pac-12 title game, which would hand the Huskies defeat No. 3 and likely drop them out of the top 15. It’s probably not something on the forefront of most Washington die-hards’ minds at the moment — not after what happened at the hands of the Cougs on Montlake last year — but it isn’t something to dismiss entirely.

Could there be a benefit to avoiding a 13th game until bowl season?

It’s doubtful many expected the Huskies to be in this position before the year began. Not after a 4-8 finish in 2021 that was underscored by the firing of coach Jimmy Lake. To already nab nine victories in the ensuing season — one of which came on the road vs. then-No. 6 Oregon — makes 2022 a success no matter what happens against WSU on Saturday.

But what if Washington were to play in the Cotton Bowl? That would make 2022 a true achievement for the Huskies. When you think back to the Chris Petersen era not so long ago, there were the two Pac-12 titles that resulted in a trip to the College Football Playoff and Rose Bowl — but there also was that 10-win team in 2017 that found its way into the Fiesta Bowl between those league championships. That was the bridge year that solidified Petersen’s legacy as an all-time great Husky coach, and reaching a similar bowl would be a hell of an opening-year statement for new coach Kalen DeBoer.

Moreover, if the Huskies were excluded from the Pac-12 title game — the most likely scenario even with a win over Washington State — there is a chance they could squeeze into the Rose Bowl. The feeling is that if USC wins out and Georgia is able to topple LSU in the SEC Championship Game, the Trojans would advance to the CFP and allow another Pac-12 team to compete in Pasadena.

That trip has always been the goal for Washington if the CFP is out of the mix, and it would upgrade the season from special to spectacular. And if USC were to beat Oregon in the Pac-12 title game, it’s almost impossible to think a three-loss Ducks team would get the nod to the Granddaddy of Them All over a UW squad to which they lost.

These are scenarios you think about as a Washington coach or player or fan who not only wants to end the season on the highest note possible but signal to the country that the Huskies are on the rise. The program has made that case already, to be sure, but falling short in the conference title game would likely spur a slide to a lesser bowl and scrape much of the shine off the season. But that’s only if they fall short.

My thought is that every Husky fan alive should be pulling for Cal to beat UCLA and Oregon State to beat Oregon. You know DeBoer is doing so. Asked if he was rooting for the Ducks against Utah on Saturday, which kept UW in the conference-title hunt, he stated the obvious.

“Oh yeah. We’re still selfish in all of this, right?,” DeBoer said. “We need to do what’s best for us, and at the time that’s what was best for us.”

When you suit up, you play to win. And when you keep winning, you try to play for championships. That’s what the Huskies want and what their fans should want as well — especially knowing they can beat anyone in this conference.

But if you are a member of the Husky faithful, don’t let the outcomes of other games dictate your mood Saturday. A win over Washington State solidifies 2022 as a premier season — and puts the Huskies in prime position going forward no matter what.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:14 pm

A lot to unpack here.

First? Let's win the damn Apple Cup. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from last year. From Borgi acting like a fucking punk to the QB actually proving to be a fucking punk? Fuck them. I used to actually root for the Cougs a little when they didn't play us. Never again after that game. I realize you haven't been there before, having lost what, 10 of 11 at that time, but act like you have. It was disgusting. It was something a team does when they don't fear repercussions. Not sure if they thought we were hiring the next Jimmy Lake, but guess what? We fucking didn't. If we get the chance to I expect us to open things up, score and score. The shit they were doing? Borghi sliding down and resting his head in his arm like he is relaxing, the fucking punk QB and the flag? (SideBar, how about that fuck head leaving Pullman and then throwing four picks against them last week...couldn't happen to dumber kid) But my vote is to pile it on, if we can. Fuck sportsmanship, fuck being the bigger man. That said? Aint happening. Their defense is legit.

Second? Who I root for won't matter, but of course I want to play in the Conference Championship game. Acting like USC is unbeatable is stupid. UCLA is not playing their best football right now, so lets not pretend the SC win last weekend was some kind of game changer and signal to the rest of the Conference.

As for falling out of the Top 15 with a 3rd loss, I am not so sure that happens, especially if the 3rd loss was in the Conference Championship game and we were sitting at 10 and 3. What would be worse would be watching Oregon play in that game, despite the fact that we beat them in their own house.

Even if we do fall out of the Top 15, who says we stay out of it? Win the Bowl game and we probably move right back in. Speaking of Bowl games, the bigger question might be, would Morris be our QB if it is "only" the Cotton Bowl, and not the Rose or a BCS game? Many think it is a forgone conclusion that Pennix is going Pro, so why would he play in the Cotton Bowl?

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:14 pm

I try to not be biased but this is INSANITY
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:17 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:14 pm
A lot to unpack here.

First? Let's win the damn Apple Cup. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from last year. From Borgi acting like a fucking punk to the QB actually proving to be a fucking punk? Fuck them. I used to actually root for the Cougs a little when they didn't play us. Never again after that game. I realize you haven't been there before, having lost what, 10 of 11 at that time, but act like you have. It was disgusting. It was something a team does when they don't fear repercussions. Not sure if they thought we were hiring the next Jimmy Lake, but guess what? We fucking didn't. If we get the chance to I expect us to open things up, score and score. The shit they were doing? Borghi sliding down and resting his head in his arm like he is relaxing, the fucking punk QB and the flag? (SideBar, how about that fuck head leaving Pullman and then throwing four picks against them last week...couldn't happen to dumber kid) But my vote is to pile it on, if we can. Fuck sportsmanship, fuck being the bigger man. That said? Aint happening. Their defense is legit.

Second? Who I root for won't matter, but of course I want to play in the Conference Championship game. Acting like USC is unbeatable is stupid. UCLA is not playing their best football right now, so lets not pretend the SC win last weekend was some kind of game changer and signal to the rest of the Conference.

As for falling out of the Top 15 with a 3rd loss, I am not so sure that happens, especially if the 3rd loss was in the Conference Championship game and we were sitting at 10 and 3. What would be worse would be watching Oregon play in that game, despite the fact that we beat them in their own house.

Even if we do fall out of the Top 15, who says we stay out of it? Win the Bowl game and we probably move right back in. Speaking of Bowl games, the bigger question might be, would Morris be our QB if it is "only" the Cotton Bowl, and not the Rose or a BCS game? Many think it is a forgone conclusion that Pennix is going Pro, so why would he play in the Cotton Bowl?
I was thinking Max might be at the game but looks like he might be busy. lol
Houston Roughnecks roster
Quarterbacks
Kaleb Eleby
Brandon Silvers
*Cole McDonald

Offensive skill positions
RB Adrian Killins
TE Garrett Owens
WR Cedric Byrd
WR Deontay Burnett
WR Justin Smith
RB Max Borghi
WR Jontre Kirklin
WR Aaron Nelson
WR Darece Roberson
WR B.J. Byrd
RB Brycen Alleyne
dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:15 pm

730 pm on ESPN. I don't have cable and as much as I want to watch this I will not go back to cable.
How can this not be on a local channel? The dirty fucks.
I think I wore out my free trial of fubu or whatever that is. I don't think ESPN+ will have it.
Any suggestions?

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:18 pm

trharder wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:15 pm
730 pm on ESPN. I don't have cable and as much as I want to watch this I will not go back to cable.
I think I wore out my free trial of fubu or whatever that is. I don't think ESPN+ will have it.
Any suggestions?
Go back to cable? ;)
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:19 pm

I am recording it and watching Sunday morning. Not too bad because I miss morning football dearly.
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:54 pm

trharder wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:15 pm
Any suggestions?
Streameast I've watched all the pac12 network games on it this year.