One more year!

D-train

Re: One more year!

Post by D-train » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:00 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:43 pm
It will be interesting to see the story behind this. Mel isn't always in as much of the know as he thinks. It could be that a lot of teams love Penix, but told him he would be a day one pick if he stays healthy another year, and maybe only a 3rd or 4th rounder now. Kiper and McShay will change their mind about guys 75 times between now and the draft, and a lot of the guys they change their mind about have played their last actual football game.
I could see Richardson being above Penix but I can't think of any others. Maybe the 5th QB isn't picked until day 2?
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:12 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:00 pm
Michael K. wrote:
It will be interesting to see the story behind this. Mel isn't always in as much of the know as he thinks. It could be that a lot of teams love Penix, but told him he would be a day one pick if he stays healthy another year, and maybe only a 3rd or 4th rounder now. Kiper and McShay will change their mind about guys 75 times between now and the draft, and a lot of the guys they change their mind about have played their last actual football game.
I could see Richardson being above Penix but I can't think of any others. Maybe the 5th QB isn't picked until day 2?
That's what I meant. It isn't always just about where your talent level is. They are going to weigh in the need and the risk. If a team doesn't need a QB, they aren't going to risk taking an injury concern early.

I know QBR isn't the be all end all, but looking at this list, let's assign need based on the bottom of the list. https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

The Rams? That would be one Hell of a landing spot for Penix, but they have several needs now, and when is their first pick? Day 3?
Houston of course needs a QB, but they too have a ton of needs and might wait.
Washington might address other needs thinking Heineke is good enough for now. So, probably not taking one early.
Denver? Imagine if they paid Russ what they are paying and then used a day one or two pick on another QB?
New England would have to decide they are giving up on Mac Jones, a guy they took in the first round two years ago.
The Packers just paid Rodgers and I think Love has another year, right? Probably have bigger needs right now, but I guess MAYBE?
Indy for sure! But they might have a shot at one of the other four guys.
Pitt just used a first round pick.
AZ is locked into Kyler. LOL, so sad. Let's just hope they keep that idiot coach around too!
Cousins isn't going anywher.
Maybe Tampa? But will they have a shot at one of the other guys?
New Orleans would be a possibility. Not sure what their situation or thoughts on Winston are. Obviously they don't think too highly because Andy Dalton looks a lot like Matt Ryan right now.
The Niners and Jags would both have to give up on recent first round picks. Not happening.
The Titans could be a team interested. Not sure what Tannehill's contract looks like.
The Giants seem content with Jones
The Falcons would have to give up on a guy they drafted last year and are starting this weekend.

Then? It's Herbert, Fields, Burrow, Prescott, Lamar, Carr, the Groper, Goff, Us, Hurts, Allen, Tua and Mahomes.

So, MAYBE 8 teams are interested in adding at QB. If non of them go the Free Agent route? Then you would THINK that Penix would go at least in the 3rd round.

Lamar, Geno and Brady head a list of Free Agents, so three of those 8 might go that route. Then? Trades could come into play as well. Hard to say. Maybe he thought being the fifth or so QB taken meant a much lower paycheck than showing the world he can do this one more time and coming out next year.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:18 pm

Good Damn stuff right here.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:21 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:12 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:00 pm
Michael K. wrote:
That's what I meant. It isn't always just about where your talent level is. They are going to weigh in the need and the risk. If a team doesn't need a QB, they aren't going to risk taking an injury concern early.

I know QBR isn't the be all end all, but looking at this list, let's assign need based on the bottom of the list. https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

The Rams? That would be one Hell of a landing spot for Penix, but they have several needs now, and when is their first pick? Day 3?
Houston of course needs a QB, but they too have a ton of needs and might wait.
Washington might address other needs thinking Heineke is good enough for now. So, probably not taking one early.
Denver? Imagine if they paid Russ what they are paying and then used a day one or two pick on another QB?
New England would have to decide they are giving up on Mac Jones, a guy they took in the first round two years ago.
The Packers just paid Rodgers and I think Love has another year, right? Probably have bigger needs right now, but I guess MAYBE?
Indy for sure! But they might have a shot at one of the other four guys.
Pitt just used a first round pick.
AZ is locked into Kyler. LOL, so sad. Let's just hope they keep that idiot coach around too!
Cousins isn't going anywher.
Maybe Tampa? But will they have a shot at one of the other guys?
New Orleans would be a possibility. Not sure what their situation or thoughts on Winston are. Obviously they don't think too highly because Andy Dalton looks a lot like Matt Ryan right now.
The Niners and Jags would both have to give up on recent first round picks. Not happening.
The Titans could be a team interested. Not sure what Tannehill's contract looks like.
The Giants seem content with Jones
The Falcons would have to give up on a guy they drafted last year and are starting this weekend.

Then? It's Herbert, Fields, Burrow, Prescott, Lamar, Carr, the Groper, Goff, Us, Hurts, Allen, Tua and Mahomes.

So, MAYBE 8 teams are interested in adding at QB. If non of them go the Free Agent route? Then you would THINK that Penix would go at least in the 3rd round.

Lamar, Geno and Brady head a list of Free Agents, so three of those 8 might go that route. Then? Trades could come into play as well. Hard to say. Maybe he thought being the fifth or so QB taken meant a much lower paycheck than showing the world he can do this one more time and coming out next year.
First Husky Heisman would be sick! I bet they are already planning the campaign...
dt

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:42 pm

well Williams will be the #1 front-runner (likely as a chance to repeat). but Penix should be at LEAST in the top 4 going into the season. If he had started that high this year who knows, he may have actually won it! so much based on the starting preconception, and Williams had all that going for him this year, whereas stat-wise at least Penix got the better of him. since their teams didnt square off this year I imagine they will next year. could be a key game for the Heisman as well as the conference championship.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:55 am

Penix coming back is big for them but they only had the #33 recruiting class. That is a bit disappointing but maybe with a Penix showing they grab a couple more 4 or even 5-star recruits/transfers.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:38 pm

Finally some recognition:
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:10 pm

57reasons wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:42 pm
well Williams will be the #1 front-runner (likely as a chance to repeat). but Penix should be at LEAST in the top 4 going into the season. If he had started that high this year who knows, he may have actually won it! so much based on the starting preconception, and Williams had all that going for him this year, whereas stat-wise at least Penix got the better of him. since their teams didnt square off this year I imagine they will next year. could be a key game for the Heisman as well as the conference championship.
Sorry friend, Penix didn't have a better stat line unless you are talking about yards, and yards only.

Williams has more touchdowns
Williams has fewer interceptions

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:55 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:10 pm
57reasons wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:42 pm
Sorry friend, Penix didn't have a better stat line unless you are talking about yards, and yards only.

Williams has more touchdowns
Williams has fewer interceptions
Stats were remarkably similar but yeah, slight edge to William on most including Passer rating and YPA.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:12 pm

Pharmabro wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:55 am
Penix coming back is big for them but they only had the #33 recruiting class. That is a bit disappointing but maybe with a Penix showing they grab a couple more 4 or even 5-star recruits/transfers.
They've done well in the portal. Added another.

https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2022/12/21/ ... recruiting