The “Here We Go Portal, Here We Go” Thread

AZOldDawg

Re: The “Here We Go Portal, Here We Go” Thread

Post by AZOldDawg » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:09 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:41 pm
AZOldDawg wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:58 pm
Adding Bernard makes us solid at WR. Could we please poach a couple of defensive animals.
What is the timing with the portal. Is there a deadline?
Good question I don't know the answer to. I think in terms of visits there is a dead period after next Wednesday but I don't know if it applies to the portal. Michael might know

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:02 pm

This time around, the NCAA adopted dates for when players can enter the portal and not lose a year of eligibility, though they can sign with their new school at any time. The first window is open for 45 days from Dec. 5 until Jan. 18, and the second runs in the spring from May 1-15.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:45 am

dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:25 am

"We back".

Gotta love these university "scholars" whose English skills are comparable to a 2nd grader with learning disabilities.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:09 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:25 am
"We back".

Gotta love these university "scholars" whose English skills are comparable to a 2nd grader with learning disabilities.
:lol: It is how they show all their homie's back in the hood that they didn't let all dat book learning change em....
dt

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:07 am

Well we caught fire today but I'm not sure how impactful they are. Keep on keeping on. I would sure like to see a polished corner.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:12 am

AZOldDawg wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:07 am
Well we caught fire today but I'm not sure how impactful they are. Keep on keeping on. I would sure like to see a polished corner.
They already got the #1 JUCO Corner, and I am pretty sure I have read that we have some help in this recruiting class too. The LB from USC fills a big need, and I am excited about the TE. This offense could be scary good with all the weapons. Just a mediocre defense and we might be a force to be reckoned with.

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:01 am

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:12 am
AZOldDawg wrote:
They already got the #1 JUCO Corner, and I am pretty sure I have read that we have some help in this recruiting class too. The LB from USC fills a big need, and I am excited about the TE. This offense could be scary good with all the weapons. Just a mediocre defense and we might be a force to be reckoned with.
Agree. If the two wideouts return, which I doubt, there might not be enough footballs to go around but I guess that's a good thing. I'd still like to see a couple more db's. I thought that was the achille's heel

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:13 pm

dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:21 pm

AZOldDawg wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:01 am
Michael K. wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:12 am
AZOldDawg wrote:
Agree. If the two wideouts return, which I doubt, there might not be enough footballs to go around but I guess that's a good thing. I'd still like to see a couple more db's. I thought that was the achille's heel
I read somewhere that this staff improved the Fresno State defense by ten points a game. That is pretty good, especially when you factor in the fast paced high scoring offense. It is hard to keep the other team from scoring when you score fast and furious. I am not too worried. A good defense makes this team a serious Final Four threat. An above average one makes them a Pac 12 champ threat and playoff team. The offense is just that good.

Another good thing to remember is it's not like Penix just came in and took over. He had a couple of seasons under DeBoer. I don't think we can just write off Huard just yet. This will be his second year in the system. By the time we need Penix's replacement? Huard might be ready to shine. Hell, with him having last year under DeBoer he might be ready if he was thrust in this coming season.

I hate to jinx this, because this team has me fired up. And, it is the opposite of the last time we had a season like this. When Browning and Gaskin were Sophomores, they had all that success, really a season early. There was no transfer portal then, but a TON of our guys left with eligibility left. Baker being the one that jumps off the page at me, but I know there were more. Wasn't Vea an early entry? I understand why they did it, and some might have been that they got to the Final 4 and realized? That was the pinnacle. And? With that staff? I believe it was. Even that season with Tedford, the offense had been a bit exposed against USC and Bama. Browning was a good kid, smart QB, and a gamer. But he didn't have the arm, and under pressure? Yikes.

I don't see that with this group. This group has more to prove. No other reason for some of these guys to come back. And the way the game is played today? You can win Championships with this offense. Will we? Hell, probably not. It's going to be hard to beat teams in the South and Big 10 that have twice as many four and five star kids as we do. But I sure do think we can compete, and if all the stars align with a baller like Penix? Who knows?