D-train

Re: The “Here We Go Portal, Here We Go” Thread

Post by D-train » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:19 pm

I like the transfer portal.
dt

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:56 pm

Looks like we got everyone we thought we would get. Woof!

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:31 pm

Back flip, burger flip, Flip Wilson....Duck to Dawg Flip is the perfect Flip!
By Mike Vorel
Seattle Times staff reporter
Washington signed four cornerbacks.

And one catalyst.

That’s an expectation Caleb Presley accepted Wednesday, when the four-star recruit announced a flip from Oregon to the hometown Huskies. The Rainier Beach standout is ranked as the No. 1 player in Washington and the No. 23 corner in the country by 247Sports.

His potential as a player is undeniably intriguing.

But what of his impact on the future of Washington football?

“I think it’s really important,” UW coach Kalen DeBoer said of Presley’s signing. “No. 1, it shows that hey, this is the place to be. But also, just in Caleb’s situation, he’s a guy that’s got a lot of friends. He’s very connected. That isn’t what wins over in the end, but it certainly helps.

“Those [future in-state] guys, probably more than anything, respect Caleb. If he’s making the choice to come to UW, he knows some things that they need to continue to look into if they haven’t really bought into who we are yet already.”

Of course, in-state recruits have been unconvinced. In 2021, five-star defensive lineman JT Tuimoloau and wide receiver Emeka Egbuka enrolled at Ohio State. In 2022, the state’s three top players signed with Oregon (offensive linemen Josh Conerly Jr. and Dave Iuli) and Notre Dame (wide receiver Tobias Merriweather).

When asked last month where Washington’s recruiting most needs to improve, 247Sports national recruiting editor Brandon Huffman said: “Did you watch the Ohio State game on Saturday? There you go. There’s your answer. It’s to lock up the in-state guys.”

On Wednesday, Washington locked up Caleb Presley — but can he do what Sav’ell Smalls and Sam Huard couldn’t?

Can he inspire others to follow his lead?

“I’m just so excited and proud of him. I’m proud of him,” repeated DeBoer, who learned of Presley’s decision during Wednesday’s practice. “It’s hard to change your mind and make that decision, because there’s so many people following you. I’m proud that he really just went with where his heart is and knows this is where he’s supposed to be.”

He’s a catalyst with company.

Washington signed 25 players on early signing day — 18 high-school recruits, six college transfers and a junior-college corner. The Huskies’ haul included six defensive backs (corners Presley, Curley Reed, Leroy Bryant and Thaddeus Dixon and safeties Vincent Holmes and Diesel Gordon) and five offensive linemen (Landen Hatchett, Elishah Jackett, Soane Faasolo, Kahlee Tafai and Zachary Henning).

It did not include a quarterback.

That’s because four-star South Dakota standout Lincoln Kienholz flipped his commitment last week to — you guessed it — Ohio State.

Which leaves Washington with just three scholarship quarterbacks — redshirt junior Michael Penix Jr., sophomore Dylan Morris and redshirt freshman Huard.

At least, for now.

“I think we’re comfortable with three [scholarship quarterbacks]. I would be much more comfortable with four,” DeBoer conceded. “But I know in today’s day and age it’s hard to have four on the roster. We were going into the recruiting process thinking that Mike [Penix] would be gone, when you look at the timeline of things and how it all works.

“So right now we’re comfortable. We don’t need to just take a quarterback to have a body on the roster. We need to make sure we find the right quarterback that fits the situation, and right now we have three. Assuming that’s the situation, we would stay as is unless something else develops. But if it dropped to two obviously we’d have to figure something out at that point.”

Speaking of, what are the chances Morris or Huard — both of whom are billed for backup duty again in 2023 — eventually opt for the transfer portal?

“We have one more game to win, so I’m not putting too much thought into it right now,” Morris said Tuesday. “I’m a team guy first, and I’ve got responsibilities on this team to do what I can to prepare and help Mike on the sideline with anything he sees. So I’m definitely going to put my all into that for this last game, and then weigh my options.

“I’ve got a couple more years. The last thing I want to do is leave this place. I’ve wanted to play here my whole life. Having this opportunity has been nothing but a dream, and obviously I want to stick it out here and end my career here. But if something else pops up … I’m not going to weigh my options [before the bowl game].”

Likewise, DeBoer added that he’s received “no indication right now that would make me feel [Morris and Huard] are not going to be” back in 2023.

Regardless, UW’s other skill positions are rapidly solidifying. While standout sophomores Rome Odunze and Jalen McMillan continue to mull NFL draft decisions, UW added three wide receivers Wednesday — four-star Rashid Williams, three-star Keith Reynolds and Michigan State transfer (and 2022 UW signee) Germie Bernard.

“He’s a guy that really loved this program from the get-go. I felt that a year ago when I was meeting with him,” DeBoer said of Bernard, who left for MSU after UW wide-receivers coach Junior Adams’ departure to Oregon. “It wasn’t just about the coaching staff. He loved Washington. He loved this program. He took so many trips [here] when he was a junior and senior in high school and knows many of our players, especially in the wide-receiving corps.

“So I just think there’s a piece where, when he’s ready to leave [MSU], you can’t help but at least ask and find out where this is going to go and find out what the thought process is. He was certainly all about looking at UW.”

It took two tries to successfully tether Bernard to Montlake. The same can be said of Arizona State running-back transfer Daniyel Ngata, a former four-star recruit who was pursued by the Huskies (and many others) in 2020.

UW announced the arrivals of four other transfers Wednesday — Arizona State edge Joe Moore III, Sioux Falls edge Zach Durfee, Cal Poly tight end Josh Cuevas and USC linebacker Ralen Goforth. The six transfers will arrive in January, plus six early enrollee freshmen (running back Tybo Rogers, edge Anthony James, linebackers Deven Bryant and Jordan Whitney, offensive tackle Zach Henning and safety Diesel Gordon). Freshmen Presley, Hatchett and defensive lineman Elinneus Davis will join in April as well.

At which point, Washington turns its full attention to the 2024 class — and another in-state opportunity.

“Next year you’ve got two top-100 guys already, in [O’Dea running back] Jason Brown and [Yelm linebacker] Brayden Platt,” Huffman said. “You’ve got a top-five interior lineman in [O’Dea’s] Papa Ahfua. You’ve got guys like [Federal Way athlete] Rahshawn Clark and [Highline safety] Marquawn McCraney and [O’Dea safety] Kyan McDonald. I think there’s far more top-end depth in the 2024 class in the state. There’s a lot of playable depth.”

But how much of that playable depth will play at UW?

Can a cornerback be a catalyst?

“Shoutout [former Bellevue and UW safety] Budda [Baker],” Presley said Wednesday on Instagram after announcing his UW flip. “Shoutout all the guys that stayed home. Class of ‘24, I’m coming to get y’all.”
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:58 pm

Read this morning that Oregon ended up flipping a Texas commit and got a 5* CB yesterday. Probably took some of the sting out of losing the 4* to us.

I like this class, but we need another great season so we can add in a 5* or two to upcoming classes. NIL money is going to make Oregon tough to compete with, IMO. One thing I do think tho is that with the exception of the Lake years? We have had the better coach for several years. It shocks me how hard it seems to be now for them to keep a coach. Something doesn’t seem right there.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:23 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:58 pm
Read this morning that Oregon ended up flipping a Texas commit and got a 5* CB yesterday. Probably took some of the sting out of losing the 4* to us.

I like this class, but we need another great season so we can add in a 5* or two to upcoming classes. NIL money is going to make Oregon tough to compete with, IMO. One thing I do think tho is that with the exception of the Lake years? We have had the better coach for several years. It shocks me how hard it seems to be now for them to keep a coach. Something doesn’t seem right there.
Its Eugene. Why would anyone want to live there if they can get decent money elsewhere?

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:14 pm

dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:38 pm

Boom!
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:15 pm

Great news. The DB room has a ton more talent than it did just a month ago, and with McMillen coming back, I imagine Rome isn't far behind!

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:21 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:15 pm
Great news. The DB room has a ton more talent than it did just a month ago, and with McMillen coming back, I imagine Rome isn't far behind!
What is the deadline?
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:22 pm

Still a few weeks away:
Jan. 16
2023 NFL Draft underclassmen tracker: List of college players declaring early. With college football season winding down, some of the top underclassmen around the country are starting to announce their intentions for the 2023 NFL Draft. The deadline for players to declare for the draft is Monday, Jan. 16.16 hours ago
dt