The “Here We Go Portal, Here We Go” Thread

AZOldDawg

Re: The “Here We Go Portal, Here We Go” Thread

Post by AZOldDawg » Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:18 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:39 am
AZOldDawg wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:23 am
We appear to be getting really solid everywhere. Not sure about linebacking but the secondary is looking much better on paper.
I think the kid from USC at LB should help. Not sure what else we have added, TBH.
My brother, a retired head football coach at Pasco , believes we need a big time running back. He says our guys are "adequate" but don't scare anybody. If we had a game changer along with Pennix then DC's would get no sleep whatsoever.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:24 pm

The game has changed so much. Those types of guys seem be more and more rare. Some say it’s because of the game changing, guys that used to play RB are moving in to WR. I am not so sure about that. You look at the body types, and not many of the best receivers are built like RBs. I wonder if they are playing DB and LB?

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:42 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:39 am
AZOldDawg wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:23 am
We appear to be getting really solid everywhere. Not sure about linebacking but the secondary is looking much better on paper.
I think the kid from USC at LB should help. Not sure what else we have added, TBH.
What they also add (knock on wood) is a healthy Eddy Ulafoshio in the middle. he was the number 1 guy there the past two seasons before missing most of 2022 to injury. Add Goforth from SC and the trio of excellent pass rushers (ZTF, Trice and the new guy from ASU) and that unit may be the best that it's been since the 91-92 champs with Hoffman, Clifford and company. Tuli returning is huge, hopefully you get some improvement from Tuitele, Ale and Bandes with another year of experience (and weight training) under their belts. if so should see a big step up from the early season D we saw this year.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:45 pm

Be nice to see Smalls contribute too. That seemed like such a great get to keep him in State. Could be another case of a good Washington kid looking great against bad competition?

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:38 am

the few times i have seen him on the field he has not exactly flashed the vaunted athletic ability that garnered him all the national attention as an undergrad before transferring to Kennedy. dont know if he's thinking too much or just a case of others catching up to him physically, or just lacks the instincts or temperament. So much of LB play is diagnosing quickly and playing with your hair on fire which is how you get guys relative unknowns like 2-star Carson Bruener or walk-on Ulafoshio playing ahead of the once #3 rated overall prospect nationally.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:23 pm

2. Washington
The momentum continues for coach Kalen DeBoer’s program with a slew of impact newcomers passing through the portal on their way to Montlake. Arizona State running back Daniyel Ngata and Michigan State receiver Germie Bernard bolster the array of playmakers around quarterback Michael Penix. Another former Sun Devil, Joe Moore, adds needed depth at edge rusher. So far, none of the Huskies’ key contributors (or backup quarterbacks) have entered the portal.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... -rankings/
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:34 pm

Whatever it takes to keep him out of the portal! Make him HC now! :lol:
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:54 am

dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:38 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:54 am
I like it. Surprised there was nothing of him catching it out of the backfield, it knowing that is something this staff is high on? I imagine he can do it.