Mike Leach in Critical Condition

Captain 97

Mike Leach in Critical Condition

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:07 pm

looks like he had a massive heart attack and may not survive.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mississipp ... 10006.html

acctingman

Re: Mike Leach in Critical Condition

Post by acctingman » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:13 pm

61 years old!

Way too young to have a heart attack. Was it the stress of the job? Pre-existing heart issues? Didn't take care of himself?

Very sad. I feel for him and his family.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:01 pm

Heard that this morning. Very sad.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:10 pm

dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:35 pm

I just saw that. Terrible news.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:47 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:35 pm
I just saw that. Terrible news.
I loved the guy. So refreshing to have a unique guy that spoke his mind and didn't give a shit vs. all the RWs of the world...
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:53 pm

The best interview in college football. His reply to the reporter that asked him why he didn't wear a mask on the sidelines very much was outstanding. And, as a cargo short coach, I loved his speech on why he loves them! Interesting to see the outpour of emotions. He touched a lot of lives. How about all his ex QBs that are now coaches? He took a lot of heat for the pressure he put his QBs under, but looks like a lot of them took that right into another career.

Obviously it would be poor form for someone to publicly say something that wasn't good, but no one is making these people tweet about how much they loved him and how he impacted their lives. One of the best praises I can give him is I was always worried when we played them. It blew me away that he didn't adjust more to what Lake did to stop his offense, but that again was Leach. He does what he does, and that is how they will win or lose. A lot like Pete. Pete was on Seattle Sports Talk yesterday and talked about the relationship they had. Sounds like Pete wasn't alone. Real good guy.

I remember when the Huskies hired Coach Pete, I think it was Pete anyway, maybe it was Sark. BUT, they interviewed Leach, and he was high on their list, but they thought he was to quirky to fit in with the Seattle area and the alums. He always seemed to need the right environment. Lubbick, Pullman and Starkville worked out well, but I was never sold that it would have been impossible to work out here. Let's not pretend Seattle doesn't have some crazies! LOL

Great guy, he really was. I rooted for the Cougs a lot more back then. Of course, the new coach isn't the one that stormed the field and planted a flag...he didn't stop it either. That might have happened if Leach was there, who knows. His interview after sure would have been hilarious!

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:59 pm

Yep I was on the Hire leach band wagon to at the time and wanted him here. He is one of the most fascinating personalities in American sports.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:13 pm

dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:36 pm

Incredibly smart and even more entertaining. It seems real short sighted to just assume he wouldn't have been a good fit in Seattle, but I think the best thing was Pullman. Coug fans take loyalty to an entirely different level. Minshew was there, what, four months? They would elect that guy President if they could. He was 10 and 2, lost his only Apple Cup, escaped with an Alamo Bowl win and immediately left town. And I am pretty sure there will be a statue of him on campus some day if there isn't already one. Not many had a bad word to say about Leach, despite all the Apple Cup losses and the fact that he left them for a job in the SEC. I am not sure he would get the same love from Husky fans with a similar resume here.