Bowl games

ddraig

Re: Bowl games

Post by ddraig » Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:13 pm

Yeah. Tell me how ANY conference would want to take in Rutgers today.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:35 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:47 pm
The Bay Area has 10 million people Its the 5th Largest TV market in the country. Adding Cal and Stanford to any conference is going to help increase the viewing audience. They both do pretty well in TV ratings despite being terrible. If they ever get their act together and start winning again they will be huge assets. College football is volatile. The Rosters completely turn over in just a few years. Its pretty short sited to make decisions on which teams to have in your conference based how they performed on the field last year.
Last year? Yeah, Cal and Stanford have only been bad or mediocre last year.

Again, having people in your market is one thing, but do they watch? The Bay Area is not a football hot bed. I can’t imagine their TV ratings over the last ten years, especially Cal, is great. Remember the Cal versus Washington game? That stadium was less than half full.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:42 pm

Hell, what do I know? Just googled it and since 2015, excluding COVID? Stanford finished just behind Oregon in viewers, and just ahead of us. Cal was pretty bad though. This article unfortunately removed the LA schools. Must have been trying to figure out the impact once they leave, so also eliminated games against those teams.

https://theathletic.com/3444339/2022/07 ... iewership/

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:40 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:42 pm
Hell, what do I know? Just googled it and since 2015, excluding COVID? Stanford finished just behind Oregon in viewers, and just ahead of us. Cal was pretty bad though. This article unfortunately removed the LA schools. Must have been trying to figure out the impact once they leave, so also eliminated games against those teams.

Stanford was very good 2009-2018

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... index.html
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:14 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:40 pm
Michael K. wrote:

Well, wasn't Chris Petersen here in 2018? Let's not pretend that was just the other day. Shaw did a GREAT job of building on the momentum that Harbaugh started. But that has not continued now, and I don't have much faith it will continue. And sorry, Cal is a ship wreck. I love Wilcox, and hope he can get out from under that, but they are behind the 8 ball in facilities, funds, all of that.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:47 am

Michael, you can say that about any college team. Oregon and Washington were the last 2 Pac-12 teams to make the Final 4. Not USC, Not UCLA. Sure, they have a larger market in LA. But teams go up and down. USC has had a series of off years and UCLA hasn't been all that good over the past 20 years. Stanford, as has been mentioned, over those same years was pretty good. Cal's been up and down as well. Think Illinois, Northwestern, and Indiana have great football teams? When?

Think outside the box for a minute. What about Oregon and track? Washington in both male and female soccer, golf, women's softball? Stanford has a long history of playing both Michigan schools plus Ohio State in many sports. And as has also been mentioned, the Bay Area has a huge viewing audience. Both Cal and Stanford have huge academic reputations as does Washington. Not all conferences look at athletics only. Prestige DOES have benefits. Why didn't the Pac-12 take in BYU. Good at sports, not so good academically.

And can you see Rutgers or Maryland coming out to the West Coast once every four years to play one football game? Or look at the reverse. USC and UCLA going to Maryland or New Jersey? Geographically, politically, and monetarily, it makes a bit of sense to pick up Cal, Stanford, Washington, and Oregon. There is a lot of money in those four schools, rabid fans, rivalries with USC and UCLA, and much more. It's gonna happen eventually. Maybe not with the Big 10, but some other Conference looking for the prestige.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:10 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:14 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:40 pm
Michael K. wrote:

Well, wasn't Chris Petersen here in 2018? Let's not pretend that was just the other day. Shaw did a GREAT job of building on the momentum that Harbaugh started. But that has not continued now, and I don't have much faith it will continue. And sorry, Cal is a ship wreck. I love Wilcox, and hope he can get out from under that, but they are behind the 8 ball in facilities, funds, all of that.
I am saying that is why they had high ratings. Now that they suck I doubt they are attractive in the least.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:54 pm

ddraig wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:47 am
Michael, you can say that about any college team. Oregon and Washington were the last 2 Pac-12 teams to make the Final 4. Not USC, Not UCLA. Sure, they have a larger market in LA. But teams go up and down. USC has had a series of off years and UCLA hasn't been all that good over the past 20 years. Stanford, as has been mentioned, over those same years was pretty good. Cal's been up and down as well. Think Illinois, Northwestern, and Indiana have great football teams? When?

Think outside the box for a minute. What about Oregon and track? Washington in both male and female soccer, golf, women's softball? Stanford has a long history of playing both Michigan schools plus Ohio State in many sports. And as has also been mentioned, the Bay Area has a huge viewing audience. Both Cal and Stanford have huge academic reputations as does Washington. Not all conferences look at athletics only. Prestige DOES have benefits. Why didn't the Pac-12 take in BYU. Good at sports, not so good academically.

And can you see Rutgers or Maryland coming out to the West Coast once every four years to play one football game? Or look at the reverse. USC and UCLA going to Maryland or New Jersey? Geographically, politically, and monetarily, it makes a bit of sense to pick up Cal, Stanford, Washington, and Oregon. There is a lot of money in those four schools, rabid fans, rivalries with USC and UCLA, and much more. It's gonna happen eventually. Maybe not with the Big 10, but some other Conference looking for the prestige.
You’ve lost me. Basketball barely matters in any of these decisions, so I promise you you soccer, golf and women’s softball doesn’t either. Neither does academics. This is about football, and Stanford and Cal have little pull there now. As for Rutgers and Maryland? Again, you have completely lost me. If anyone left in the PAC is wanted by any other Conference? That wish list starts and ends with UW and Oregon.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:38 am

The Upper Mid-West is mad for basketball. I've got relatives there and they follow both football and basketball. The other sports are throw away, but add to the "luster" of a Conference if one of their teams wins a NC.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:29 pm

ddraig wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:38 am
The Upper Mid-West is mad for basketball. I've got relatives there and they follow both football and basketball. The other sports are throw away, but add to the "luster" of a Conference if one of their teams wins a NC.
The SEC and the Big 10 are the ones making noise and having schools beg to come on board. Believe what you want, but Football is THE driver. USC and UCLA are about television markets and football. Otherwise, why wouldn’t the Big 10 be after Gonzaga?