Bowl games

ddraig

Re: Bowl games

Post by ddraig » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:34 pm

But that doesn't explain why they added Rutgers. Was it because of a few good football seasons? They are, and will likely be for quite a while, a football doormat when playing other Big 10 teams. Their geographic location doesn't help them and I can't imagine their TV revenue from Piscataway is all that large. Must be something else there.

Football isn't everything to Conferences. It's why the Pac-12 didn't add BYU to rival Utah and we didn't add Colorado State, either.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:09 am

ddraig wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:34 pm

Football isn't everything to Conferences. It's why the Pac-12 didn't add BYU to rival Utah and we didn't add Colorado State, either.
And that's also why the Pac12 is about to cease to exist as a power conference.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:31 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:09 am
ddraig wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:34 pm

And that's also why the Pac12 is about to cease to exist as a power conference.
Right? Football is why the Big 10 and SEC are making so much money and why the LA schools left and Washington and Oregon are trying to. If they didn't make it all about football? That is WHY the Pac is fucked. Larry Scott tried pushing the fact that they showed volleyball and track on their network for years. And yet, somehow? They are still seen by fewer viewers than the fucking WAC.

I am sure I am off in what Conference I am referencing, but still. I can watch Gonzaga far easier than the Huskies in hoops. Scott's baby is why the Conference is fucked, and his product was fucked because the football viewership weren't high enough for Scott to make money and he had to continue to try and high ball DirecTv and others to show his network.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:15 pm

Totally agree with you. The Pac-12 television contract didn't do nearly enough for the Conference. Watching women's softball and golf didn't bring in enough viewers and neither did men's track or golf. And how many of us watched men's baseball? Hell, they may as well televised women's field hockey and men's croquet. Probably get the same two dozen viewers for those sports.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Washington, Oregon, Stanford, and Cal move to the Big 10 because they would balance out the East/West Divisions within the Conference. 20 teams makes a lot of sense and there is a lot of money to be had by adding those four schools. Plus at least one lawsuit to be dropped.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:10 pm

I could see Washington and Oregon, but would think Utah makes more sense than Cal or Stanford, and now that Colorado has Me Time, I mean Prime Time as a coach? They are probably more desirable than the Bay Area Schools. You might be right, it might be those Bay Area viewers they are after, but I’d be real interested to see a more recent list of the ratings. It amazed me how empty Carl’s stadium was when we played them. I just don’t see how anyone is going to go after them very hard. And Stanford has fallen off a cliff. Maybe their new Head Coach will turn it around, but I highly doubt it.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:32 am

Good god 65 - 7? For the championship? What a bloody joke.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:03 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:32 am
Good god 65 - 7? For the championship? What a bloody joke.
This explains it!
dt