Bowl games

Michael K.

Re: Bowl games

Post by Michael K. » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:00 pm

Warm weather teams always have a chance of that. I mean, UCLA and USC have made the Rose Bowl many times, just the way it is. But I do get your point. That said, Bowl games have Conference tie ins. Alamo Bowl is PAC 12 vs Big 12. Just worked out the Big 12 representative this year was just a few miles away.

There have been 30 Alamo Bowls. 16 played by a school from Texas, unless I missed something. Granted, Texas is a big school, so not all of them, Texas, Texas A and M, Texas Tech, TCU and Baylor are right down the road, but still.

The Holiday is kind of that way. No one in the PAC is that far away, and the chances of it being driving distance for many California based PAC 12 schools is pretty good.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:11 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:00 pm
Warm weather teams always have a chance of that. I mean, UCLA and USC have made the Rose Bowl many times, just the way it is. But I do get your point. That said, Bowl games have Conference tie ins. Alamo Bowl is PAC 12 vs Big 12. Just worked out the Big 12 representative this year was just a few miles away.

There have been 30 Alamo Bowls. 16 played by a school from Texas, unless I missed something. Granted, Texas is a big school, so not all of them, Texas, Texas A and M, Texas Tech, TCU and Baylor are right down the road, but still.

The Holiday is kind of that way. No one in the PAC is that far away, and the chances of it being driving distance for many California based PAC 12 schools is pretty good.
Yeah we beat them 79 miles from their campus. Even better. Not sure what the problem is.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:14 pm

It does make it better, but ai won’t say I wasn’t pissed about it early when we seemed to struggle getting signals due to the crowd noise. Penix was o for 5 or 6 after the flea flicker, and we burned a timeout and got a delay of game. I was a bit irked about them having a home game then,

Sucks, but every bowl is that way.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:48 pm

We thought we were lucky to not play USC? Penix would have killed this defense.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:54 pm

Pac 12 still only has one L. Those two LA schools belong to the Big 10!

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:58 pm

They may be asking Stanford, Cal, Oregon, and Washington to join them soon. Leaving OSU, WSU, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah out in the cold.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:16 am

ddraig wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:58 pm
They may be asking Stanford, Cal, Oregon, and Washington to join them soon. Leaving OSU, WSU, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah out in the cold.
Not sure why they would want Stanford and Cal. Colorado is now the King of Buzz with Coach Self Promotion, so I could see Colorado going back to the Big 12, but Stanford and Cal have nothing to offer. This is about Money, and no one pays to watch Stanford and Cal.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:57 pm

Both Stanford and Cal bring prestige and the Bay Area, which is money. The Big 10 likes Washington as it's location on the lake and money. Oregon brings prestige and a recent history. And Cal is looking at a lawsuit against UCLA, both being in the California State University system.

Colorado may have a rivalry with Nebraska, but I'd ask Utah before I look into Colorado. Funny thing is that if the Big 10 does go with Cal, Stanford, Washington, and Oregon, they end up with one East Division and one West division. And the West Division would look very similar to the old Pacific Coast Conference plus Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin. That's a VERY attractive Division with Washington, Oregon, Cal, Stanford, USC, and UCLA!

The East Division would have Illinois, Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Indiana, Ohio State, Penn State, Maryland, and Rutgers. Notre Dame is the kicker. If they want to join, all bets are off except you have history with Stanford and USC. Traditional Notre Dame opponents.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:28 pm

Prestige and money? How? No one wants to watch them play football, THAT is where the money is. You think they are going to tell ESPN that they are worth this much more money in TV deals because they are adding Stanford and Cal? This is about television markets.

People don't watch Stanford or Cal, they don't attend the games at Stanford and Cal, and neither team has been very good for some time, and both seem to be getting worse at a rapid pace. I am not following the logic there. They aren't bringing in teams for a rivalry with Nebraska or anyone else. They don't give a shit about geographic locations, or they wouldn't have brought two LA teams over. They are bringing in teams that have a viewing audience so they can make more money, end of story. Tickets and TV deals. Sorry, the Bay area helps with neither of those things.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:47 pm

The Bay Area has 10 million people Its the 5th Largest TV market in the country. Adding Cal and Stanford to any conference is going to help increase the viewing audience. They both do pretty well in TV ratings despite being terrible. If they ever get their act together and start winning again they will be huge assets. College football is volatile. The Rosters completely turn over in just a few years. Its pretty short sited to make decisions on which teams to have in your conference based how they performed on the field last year.