Inject this into my veins.

57reasons

Re: Inject this into my veins.

Post by 57reasons » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:34 am

it does seem a little odd, reclassing to go in early at that young of an age. but of course it'll be a redshirt year anyway; he could still go on to play for 4 years after that, just that he'll still be very young as a redshirt frosh. guess the hope would be that he can absorb a lot from Penix and then maybe he can improve as he ages the same way that DTR did at UCLA.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:34 am

it does seem a little odd, reclassing to go in early at that young of an age. but of course it'll be a redshirt year anyway; he could still go on to play for 4 years after that, just that he'll still be very young as a redshirt frosh. guess the hope would be that he can absorb a lot from Penix and then maybe he can improve as he ages the same way that DTR did at UCLA.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:27 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:11 am
Michael K. wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:21 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:56 pm
Everyone thought Huard had the talent too....
Huard isn't the first highly touted QB not to make it. There is also a long list of highly touted QBs that did make it, so not sure what your point is? Huard might have been the man next year had Penix left to go Pro, who knows? I like the thought of a highly touted talent coming in and learning from these coaches...you know, the ones that made Michael Penix a Heisman candidate and Jake Haener a fucking Hero?
My point is, a 16 year old shouldn't be graduating early to burn a year of college eligibility at age 17 just because he MIGHT have the talent to start at age 18.
Do you honestly think he was the only QB to enroll early? I think Huard's issue was more about never playing against elite talent and being over valued. Playing against Washington HS kids made him appear to be better than he was and by the time he got here he realized he was behind. Then he spent two off seasons being coached by the worst collection of offensive coaches any of us have ever seen. Not a huge exaggeration there.

I guess it boils down to this. What makes you think this kid is going to learn more about playing QB at Washington by staying in HS than he is by being coached by the Washington coaches? Again, if the goal is for him to start right after Penix leaves, who gives a shit if he Redshirts his first year here and learns. I don't see how it matters. Unless you think missing the game experience is a problem for his development.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:22 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:27 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:11 am
Michael K. wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:21 pm

Huard isn't the first highly touted QB not to make it. There is also a long list of highly touted QBs that did make it, so not sure what your point is? Huard might have been the man next year had Penix left to go Pro, who knows? I like the thought of a highly touted talent coming in and learning from these coaches...you know, the ones that made Michael Penix a Heisman candidate and Jake Haener a fucking Hero?
My point is, a 16 year old shouldn't be graduating early to burn a year of college eligibility at age 17 just because he MIGHT have the talent to start at age 18.
Do you honestly think he was the only QB to enroll early? I think Huard's issue was more about never playing against elite talent and being over valued. Playing against Washington HS kids made him appear to be better than he was and by the time he got here he realized he was behind. Then he spent two off seasons being coached by the worst collection of offensive coaches any of us have ever seen. Not a huge exaggeration there.

I guess it boils down to this. What makes you think this kid is going to learn more about playing QB at Washington by staying in HS than he is by being coached by the Washington coaches? Again, if the goal is for him to start right after Penix leaves, who gives a shit if he Redshirts his first year here and learns. I don't see how it matters. Unless you think missing the game experience is a problem for his development.
He is not just enrolling early. He is skipping his senior year of high school. I honestly don't ever remember any college football players doing that period. Do you? It's not just about where he is going to learn more, it is about him being Physically mature. He doesn't even turn 17 until this summer so he is not only a junior he is a young junior. He is going to almost a full 2 years younger than a typical incoming freshmen. There is a lot of physical maturity that goes on between the age of 17-20.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:42 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:22 pm

He is not just enrolling early. He is skipping his senior year of high school. I honestly don't ever remember any college football players doing that period. Do you? It's not just about where he is going to learn more, it is about him being Physically mature. He doesn't even turn 17 until this summer so he is not only a junior he is a young junior. He is going to almost a full 2 years younger than a typical incoming freshmen. There is a lot of physical maturity that goes on between the age of 17-20.
He doesn't need to be physically mature, that's the point. He aint playing next year anyway, he will be here learning the job. The goal is for him to start the year after Penix leaves. He would be a College Freshman then. This way? He'll be a RedShirt Freshman. What's the difference?

He either is outside of the organization, eating food at home, working out on his own or with his HS team, or he is here...eating at the training table, being trained by this team's strength staff and learning this team's offense while not playing...but Red Shirting. You are looking at next year as his incoming Freshman year, and this only the case by the letter of the law. He will not play, unless it's an absolute emergency.

Like I said, unless you think he would grow physically better at home, I don't see the issue. Missing High School game time would suck, and I would never have given up my Senior year. But I just don't see the issues you see. He either comes here, learns the system while not playing and then challenges for a starting job. Or, he plays HS ball another year, then comes in here brand new the next summer and challenges for a starting spot. The year that he is expected to play is not being changed...the year he comes to school and starts his learning is just being moved up.

The year he competes for a job isn't going to change, so I don't understand your issue with 17 to 20 year old maturity. If he stays in school, he is still challenging for a job after Penix leaves at the same exact age as if he comes here early and skips his Senior year.