D-train

Unreal Hopkins back for a 7th season

Post by D-train » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:31 pm

Puke.
dt

AZOldDawg

Re: Unreal Hopkins back for a 7th season

Post by AZOldDawg » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:16 pm

Good article. I also love Hop's intensity but as my Dad used to say, "There's a reason we keep score".

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:07 pm

The buy out was a bit steep and I don’t think they care as much about basketball.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:17 pm

I am not going to pretend that I watched a second of Husky Basketball this year. But they never should have fired Romar.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:02 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:17 pm
I am not going to pretend that I watched a second of Husky Basketball this year. But they never should have fired Romar.
Romar's Pepperdine Waves went 9-22, 2-14 in conference, finishing dead last. They won 2 of their last 19 games.

I think firing Romar was the right call. Hiring Hopkins wasn't.

Appears they should have done everything in their power to get Tommy Lloyd out of Gonzaga.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:17 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:02 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:17 pm
Romar's Pepperdine Waves went 9-22, 2-14 in conference, finishing dead last. They won 2 of their last 19 games.

I think firing Romar was the right call. Hiring Hopkins wasn't.

Appears they should have done everything in their power to get Tommy Lloyd out of Gonzaga.
The fact is this program can't attract a coach any better than Hopkins. Its simply not a marque job. Romar is the only coach who has ever done anything with this program in my lifetime. They got greedy and thought they could do better. I predicted this would happen when they fired him.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:30 pm

Why is it so hard to find a coach that can keep the local talent home AND coach them up? It shouldn't be mission impossible.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:21 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:30 pm
Why is it so hard to find a coach that can keep the local talent home AND coach them up? It shouldn't be mission impossible.
With Hopkins the AND is the big question. He's actually done a decent job at keeping some of the best local talent around but the development has been the clear problem.

Jackson Grant was a top-50 recruit, McDonald's AA... dude looked like a deer in headlights every minute he stepped on the floor and it looked like he had done very little to improve in the 2 years he sat on the bench. I think of him very much in the same light of a Sam Timmins. You watch their tapes heading into college and they look like confident, skilled ballers. Throw them in the Hopkins system and they look like scared little girls.

Jaden McDaniels is another Hopkins casualty. While he's formed a nice niche for himself in the NBA... the kid walked out of UW a worse player than when he came in... and the same can be said for Isaiah Stewart as well.

The worst offender is Jamal Bey, even if he isn't local. I actually don't know what Jamal Bey did in his 6 years at UW. Not sure I've ever seen a player go from averaging 10 points as a junior... to dropping to 9 as a senior... and then 6 as a super senior. He was the exact same basketball player every season he played for the Huskies and he played w. the program long enough to have gotten minutes at the NCAA tournament the last time we made it.

The only player I can honestly state that improved under Hopkins was Thybulle.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:36 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:17 pm

The fact is this program can't attract a coach any better than Hopkins. Its simply not a marque job. Romar is the only coach who has ever done anything with this program in my lifetime. They got greedy and thought they could do better. I predicted this would happen when they fired him.
They had a few good teams in my life time. Welp and Schrempf, Donald Watts, the first heart breaker against UCONN. Romar could no longer coach them up. Losing as many games as he did with NBA lottery picks is simply unforgivable. Hopkins won IMMEDIATELY with his guys. Seems he just can't recruit. The Zone Defense is a killer now as well, since we don't have a stud like Thybulle wrecking offenses. They flat out can't rebound out of it and get killed since the other team knows they can just bomb threes and crash the boards.

Hopkins being a bad fit does not mean Romar should have been kept. Who cares how many studs you bring in if they can't actually play basketball?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:38 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:21 pm

With Hopkins the AND is the big question. He's actually done a decent job at keeping some of the best local talent around but the development has been the clear problem.

Jackson Grant was a top-50 recruit, McDonald's AA... dude looked like a deer in headlights every minute he stepped on the floor and it looked like he had done very little to improve in the 2 years he sat on the bench. I think of him very much in the same light of a Sam Timmins. You watch their tapes heading into college and they look like confident, skilled ballers. Throw them in the Hopkins system and they look like scared little girls.

Jaden McDaniels is another Hopkins casualty. While he's formed a nice niche for himself in the NBA... the kid walked out of UW a worse player than when he came in... and the same can be said for Isaiah Stewart as well.

The worst offender is Jamal Bey, even if he isn't local. I actually don't know what Jamal Bey did in his 6 years at UW. Not sure I've ever seen a player go from averaging 10 points as a junior... to dropping to 9 as a senior... and then 6 as a super senior. He was the exact same basketball player every season he played for the Huskies and he played w. the program long enough to have gotten minutes at the NCAA tournament the last time we made it.

The only player I can honestly state that improved under Hopkins was Thybulle.
Can't add anything but to say....I agree!