Maybe we got too excited about Saban leaving?

Michael K.

Maybe we got too excited about Saban leaving?

Post by Michael K. » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:31 pm

It seems Lanning has announced he is coming back, and many think Sark can't leave Texas and the shine is off Dabo. So? Our guy DeBoer!? Shit.

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... nick-saban
https://www.foxsports.com/stories/colle ... at-alabama

Here I was somewhat worried about the guys going Pro. Might not matter. Two damn years? Shit. Let's hope this wasn't just a steppingstone, but if it is? Now what?

D-train

Re: Maybe we got too excited about Saban leaving?

Post by D-train » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:03 pm

That would really surprise me. I guess Tuscaloosa is a lot better than Seattle politically. LOL
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:04 pm

What an insane couple of days in terms of Seattle football coaches.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:15 pm

Fuck'em if he goes there. He will find out that the grass isn't greener.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:00 am

It'd be a hard job to pass up because of the built in recruiting advantage. I guess the question is what kind of legacy does he want to build? If he goes to Alabama, he will never get out of the shadow of Nick Saban and bear Bryant. There will always be the narrative of owing a large portion of whatever success he has to the brand of the school. On the other hand, Throw up a couple championships at Washington and he easily surpasses Don James as the GOAT in school history. It seems like there would be a lot more satisfaction of being the one responsible for establishing a national powerhouse rather than just riding on the coattails of someone else's success.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:18 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:15 pm
I'd love to hop right on board that train, but really? How is it not an easier path to success to go to one of the best programs in the SEC? Saban's shadow or not. My hope is he just doesn't want to job hop after two years. But if you poled every college football coach in America and asked them what the best job would be...do you think Washington gets more votes than Bama?

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:22 am

Captain 97 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:00 am
It'd be a hard job to pass up because of the built in recruiting advantage. I guess the question is what kind of legacy does he want to build? If he goes to Alabama, he will never get out of the shadow of Nick Saban and bear Bryant. There will always be the narrative of owing a large portion of whatever success he has to the brand of the school. On the other hand, Throw up a couple championships at Washington and he easily surpasses Don James as the GOAT in school history. It seems like there would be a lot more satisfaction of being the one responsible for establishing a national powerhouse rather than just riding on the coattails of someone else's success.
Totally agree. He seems like a really down to earth guy so chasing that job would really surprise me.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:23 am

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:18 am
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:15 pm
I'd love to hop right on board that train, but really? How is it not an easier path to success to go to one of the best programs in the SEC? Saban's shadow or not. My hope is he just doesn't want to job hop after two years. But if you poled every college football coach in America and asked them what the best job would be...do you think Washington gets more votes than Bama?
Depends on the definition of Best. I guess the Politics are a lot better in Alabama than Seattle. lol
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:43 am

Alabama is moving pretty swiftly in its search to replace Nick Saban, and there's a clear front-runner for the job.

At this point, I would be pretty surprised if Washington's Kalen DeBoer isn't the next head coach at Alabama.

DeBoer, who just led Washington to the national championship game before losing to Michigan on Monday night, has quietly been looking at the job, I believe. Now, I don't believe DeBoer's interest in Alabama or elsewhere is no slight at Washington. But the athletic director who hired him, Jen Cohen, is now USC's athletic director.

DeBoer also recently hired agent Jimmy Sexton. If you follow college football enough, you'd know Sexton's an agent extraordinaire, but he specializes in the SEC and is Saban's agent. DeBoer can be in the middle of all of the SEC coaching circles with Sexton as his agent
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.foxspo ... at-alabama

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:23 am

We were a few mistakes away from winning it all. I just don't get why you wouldn't want to finish the job you started instead try to find and easier path. Maybe he is money motivated?
dt