Re: Kraken mock draft - a LOT of good players - AND free agents

Post by D-train » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:08 pm

dt

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:14 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:06 pm
So I was driving to Wendy's for a fine Breakfast Baconator and for the first time in my life I heard two dudes talking Hockey on local sports radio. Very odd. I don't even know where to begin to talk hockey. What do you say about guys? Dimitriov's slapshot goes really fast. Marchand sure can handle a puck. Studnicka (that's a real guy on the Bruins btw) :lol: sure is skating backwards quite well tonight!

I just can't see Dave Wyman and Softy talking hockey this Fall.
If you're a beginner, you're going to find hockeyball to be a pretty complex game. I watch a lot of it and still learn new things now and then.

Some of it will come to you quickly, like learning what constitutes icing and offsides. Others will take some time, like most penalties, the difference between roughing, fighting, and game misconducts, forechecking, and other rules and terminology. But it'll come to you.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:12 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:14 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:06 pm
So I was driving to Wendy's for a fine Breakfast Baconator and for the first time in my life I heard two dudes talking Hockey on local sports radio. Very odd. I don't even know where to begin to talk hockey. What do you say about guys? Dimitriov's slapshot goes really fast. Marchand sure can handle a puck. Studnicka (that's a real guy on the Bruins btw) :lol: sure is skating backwards quite well tonight!

I just can't see Dave Wyman and Softy talking hockey this Fall.
If you're a beginner, you're going to find hockeyball to be a pretty complex game. I watch a lot of it and still learn new things now and then.

Some of it will come to you quickly, like learning what constitutes icing and offsides. Others will take some time, like most penalties, the difference between roughing, fighting, and game misconducts, forechecking, and other rules and terminology. But it'll come to you.
But given the only stats are goal, assists and saves how do you know if a guy is good? Especially a defenseman?
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:13 pm

Is it possible for a guy with no goals or assist to have a better game than a guy with a goal and or an assist???
dt

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:46 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:13 pm
Is it possible for a guy with no goals or assist to have a better game than a guy with a goal and or an assist???
Yes, sometimes. There's defending, penalty killing (where you're short a man for two minutes on a power play and they don't score) and then also sometimes you can help create a goal by screening the goalie. Or you can draw a penalty that leads to a power play goal. Meanwhile, the guy with stats might make a offensive or defensive mistake or commit a bad penalty that allows an opposing goal to be scored.

Here's an example: the last game I went to went to overtime, where they skate three-on-three rather than five-on-five. Ryan Getzlaf of the Ducks who had an assist in the game tried a stupid no-look pass that got scooped up by the opponent who then took it the length of the ice and fired the game-winner past the Duck goalie.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:52 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:46 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:13 pm
Yes, sometimes. There's defending, penalty killing (where you're short a man for two minutes on a power play and they don't score) and then also sometimes you can help create a goal by screening the goalie. Or you can draw a penalty that leads to a power play goal. Meanwhile, the guy with stats might make a offensive or defensive mistake or commit a bad penalty that allows an opposing goal to be scored.

Here's an example: the last game I went to went to overtime, where they skate three-on-three rather than five-on-five. Ryan Getzlaf of the Ducks who had an assist in the game tried a stupid no-look pass that got scooped up by the opponent who then took it the length of the ice and fired the game-winner past the Duck goalie.
Thanks DG. Maybe I will end up with 100k Hockey Posts after its all said and done. lol
dt

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:56 pm

Here are the highlights. Even a newbie can see what a shitty play it was. And right after the Ducks scored two goals after pulling the goalie to send it to OT. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... qijfqkn0FA

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:15 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:56 pm
Here are the highlights. Even a newbie can see what a shitty play it was. And right after the Ducks scored two goals after pulling the goalie to send it to OT. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... qijfqkn0FA
Yeah but I guess I am so used to being able to discuss quantifiable stats with Football and Baseball. Is there any stat that captures that guy being an idiot or do you just have to remember it?
dt

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:59 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:15 pm
DavidGee24 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:56 pm
Yeah but I guess I am so used to being able to discuss quantifiable stats with Football and Baseball. Is there any stat that captures that guy being an idiot or do you just have to remember it?
There isn't. They do have a plus/minus system, for goals scored while the player is on the ice in even-strength situations. However, as you can imagine, that stat is very team-dependent. Unless you pay really pay close attention, about the only way you really can tell how much a player sucks is when a goalie gives up "soft goals".