hey, expansion anybody?

Donn Beach

hey, expansion anybody?

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:20 pm

Nobody cares anymore?...Seems the COVID recession has spurred renewed expansion talk, and Seattle is said to be first in line
“I think I’ve always said that it’s sort of the manifest destiny of the league that you expand at some point,” Silver said during a preseason press conference, per ESPN’s Tim Bontemps. “I’d say it’s caused us to maybe dust off some of the analyses on the economic and competitive impacts of expansion. We’ve been putting a little bit more time into it than we were pre-pandemic. But certainly not to the point that expansion is on the front burner.”
Bontemps
“The NBA hasn’t added a team since it expanded to 30 by agreeing to add the Charlotte Hornets — then Bobcats — in 2002 (they began play in 2004). Should the league choose to expand, Seattle would likely be first in line. Seattle nearly got the Sacramento Kings in 2013 before Vivek Ranadive bought the team and kept it in Sacramento. Seattle hasn’t had a team since the SuperSonics moved to Oklahoma City in 2008.”

D-train

Re: hey, expansion anybody?

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:25 pm

We need a yawn emoticon.......
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:31 pm

To your excellent point, I see people on twitter still lusting over the nostalgia of bringing THE SONICs back. I honestly think that if there is ever an NBA team in Seattle again they will be surprised and seriously disappointed that Kemp, Payton, Sikma, Dale Ellis, Ray Allen and Fred Brown won't be on the team. I predict it will be a very hollow and shallow anti climatic situation that won't come close to the glory years. btw what the hell happened to JAWA. I sent him a PM and nothing.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:44 pm

come on, that was 25 years ago, the NBA is a new generation of fans

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:30 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:44 pm
come on, that was 25 years ago, the NBA is a new generation of fans
lol so you are refuting your own point.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:48 pm

my point?..i was referring to the guys here, in terms of Seattle, I think it would be popular

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:53 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:48 pm
my point?..i was referring to the guys here, in terms of Seattle, I think it would be popular
Well I was referring to Twitter. I thought I made that clear.

Do you honestly think there are a huge contingent of kids in Seattle that are too young to be Sonic fans but are huge NBA fans that would make the league a big success here? Basically you have to be under 18 years old to not remember the Sonics. I would guess that in WA state maybe one in 10 boys and 1 in 1000 girls are big NBA fans.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:05 pm

Yea i do, I am confident the NBA would love to get back into the Seattle market, and that is not based on Sonics nostalgia It be a strong market just based on the size of the metropolitan area and its attributes, same ones that applied to hockey, young, urban, and with money.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:12 pm

another article on it, COVID driven, $2.5 billion expansion fee, guess Hansen is even fatter these days
That is, if they get the bidders willing to pay the franchise fees in the markets they want. In any expansion effort, Seattle is a no brainer — the NBA still feels immense guilt for moving the Supersonics to Oklahoma City. It’s a large media market without a team, and Key Arena is undergoing the necessary renovations to be a modern NBA arena as we speak, as the Seattle Kraken expansion NHL team will play there. Hedge fund manager Chris Hansen, from Seattle, is reported to have done well during the pandemic, and has spent nearly a decade trying to get an NBA team back to his home city.
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2021 ... expansion/

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:14 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:05 pm
Yea i do, I am confident the NBA would love to get back into the Seattle market, and that is not based on Sonics nostalgia It be a strong market just based on the size of the metropolitan area and its attributes, same ones that applied to hockey, young, urban, and with money.
If they would LOVE to come back they have an odd way of showing it. Twelve years and counting with no end in sight. Not to mention they blocked every effort made the past decade.
dt