Predators vs. Kraken 10-14-21 Game Thread

D-train

Re: Predators vs. Kraken 10-14-21 Game Thread

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:53 am

DavidGee24 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:53 am
I just got finished playing a league softball game, just in time to see we got an empty netter, gave up one, but held on. First victory!
Hey aren't you forgetting something?????????
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:35 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:53 am
DavidGee24 wrote:
I just got finished playing a league softball game, just in time to see we got an empty netter, gave up one, but held on. First victory!
"We're hero's!"

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:19 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:35 pm
D-train wrote:
DavidGee24 wrote:
"We're hero's!"
That's only a Mariner thing, because you have to be a true hero to put up with 20 years of it. With everyone else it's a shock if we don't make the postseason.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:20 am

DavidGee24 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:19 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:35 pm
D-train wrote:

"We're hero's!"
That's only a Mariner thing, because you have to be a true hero to put up with 20 years of it. With everyone else it's a shock if we don't make the postseason.
Fair enough....and I like that analogy. Well, maybe you can come up with post win moniker for our Kraken?

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:40 am

One early (positive) trend I am seeing - our play along the boards is excellent from both our forwards and defense.   It seems like we are winning a lot of those puck battles that ultimately lead to possession.  Our defense has also been very physical, which is great to see, and those wins along the boards are leading to exiting the zone with control.  Not perfect by any means but for just game 2 its been great to see.

This Smashville game was a terrific first two periods followed by a nervy third period...ultimately, all that matters is getting that first win. I've watched hockey before but I've never really been invested in the result and I have to say, it has been terrific fun so far!

So I went back and re-watched the third period. Part of the reason that the Kraken were more defensive in the third period was that Hakstol shortened his bench. He basically sat down his two offensively focused forwards, Donato and Barre-Boulet. Bastian instead got lots of time on Wennberg's wing instead of ABB. I think the same happened with Dunn. So it was a conscious choice by the coach to pull back on his offensive players' time and play for the win. It worked out in the end. I expect we may see this same tactic repeated again when the Kraken lead in the third period. :!:

And I know there were/are concerns about Tanev's contract and him being the pick from Pittsburgh but I can't be fussed about that. He's a real asset and I think he's a very nice piece for this squad. Wennberg and Geekie have both impressed me and I think Barre-Boulet might prove to be a great find by the front office. 

This is also exactly what Penguins fans have always said about Tanev- love the player, hate the contract. But you know at least he's going to be one player that shows up every night and busts his ass. And I think having McCann there with him, those two are going to really rely on each other and their familiarity to help drive this Kraken team.

In short, Tanev is getting $3.5 million a season to be a bottom six forward. He's very good at what he does, but usually, especially in the cap world, you don't want to be spending that much money on a bottom six forward. That can be filled by a younger player on an entry-level deal, ideally.

But again, it's hard to argue against Turbo because he's very good at his job, brings energy, kills penalties. You only wish he could score more and do it more consistently.

Hey, the Kraken are tied for first place!