Kraken re-sign MORGAN GEEKIE!!

Sexymarinersfan

Kraken re-sign MORGAN GEEKIE!!

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:36 pm

YESSSS!!!! My boy! Anyone who truly knows me knows that Geekie was my favorite player on the ice for last year's team. Glad to have The Geek back in the fold! A one year deal is a moderate win-win: Seattle keeps control of him as an RFA next year and Geekie gets a chance to earn another raise. He's a lock for a prominent bottom six role this year, whether that's as a right winger or a center will likely depend on if Wright begins the season with the main club or goes back to the OHL.

I'm assuming Kempny will be a 7th defenseman more often than not, his presence means Fleury can play top pairing in the AHL. I know some people have been wanting another RHD but personally I'm fine giving Borgen a shot as the full time 3rd pairing guy. He performed reasonably well last year relative to expectations and was a net plus overall when on the ice.

Geekie was selected by the Carolina Hurricanes in the third round of the 2017 NHL Draft. He made his NHL debut in 2019-20 and scored four points in two games and then scored three goals and nine assists in his first full season in the league in 2021.

The Hurricanes opted not to protect Geekie ahead of the Kraken Expansion Draft in the summer of 2021 and he was one of the players who was selected by Seattle. In his first season with the Kraken in 2021-22, Geekie scored seven goals and 22 points over the course of 73 games.

The only restricted free agent that the Kraken have left now that Geekie is signed is defenseman Cale Fleury, who was their selection from the Montreal Canadiens last summer.

Geekie turned 24 years old earlier this month and he’ll again be a restricted free agent next summer. Geekie’s younger brother, Conor Geekie, was selected No. 11 overall by the Arizona Coyotes in the 2022 NHL Draft.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220725-083438_Chrome.jpg