Beniers protection? Kraken trade for big defenseman Jaycob Megna

Sexymarinersfan

Beniers protection? Kraken trade for big defenseman Jaycob Megna

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:39 am

The Kraken have made a move to add some defensive depth as they’ve acquired defenseman Jaycob Megna from San Jose in exchange for a 2023 fourth-round draft pick. Both teams have confirmed the swap.

The 30-year-old had been a regular for the Sharks for most of the season, playing in a career-high 48 games. He chipped in a goal with 11 assists along with 63 blocks and 75 hits while averaging more than 19 minutes per contest. It’s unlikely that Megna will see that much ice time with Seattle as he is likely to be more of a depth defender with the Kraken when everyone is healthy. Megna has played in 135 NHL contests between Anaheim and San Jose for his career, collecting four goals and 21 assists.

Megna represents a low-cost depth addition for Seattle, both in terms of the acquisition cost and salary. On the contract front, he’s in the first season of a two-year, minimum-salary deal with an AAV of $762,500. Next season, that will be below the league minimum which will give him some extra value. As for the draft pick, Seattle will get to choose between sending their fourth-round selection or Colorado’s and will be required to make that choice by June 15th.

At the moment, Seattle had been carrying the minimum of six healthy defenders on the roster thanks to the injury to Justin Schultz that has kept him out of the lineup for the last couple of weeks. Megna will battle Cale Fleury for playing time in Schultz’s absence. The Kraken had two open roster spots prior to the swap so no corresponding move will need to be made to add him to their lineup.

Megna has again proven to be a near-perfect fit next to Sharks defenseman Erik Karlsson this season. It’s hard to find defensemen who can play 18 minutes per game and are consistently either break-even or net-positive on a budget. Guys in his salary range typically can’t handle the minutes or the level of competition that comes with skating next to the No. 1 guy.

~Pro Hockey, The Athletic, Seattle 710 ESPN

This is a great deal for Seattle. He’ll slot into Schultz’s spot on 2nd pairing until Schultz comes back from injury, and then push down to the third, making a decision on Soucy or Borgen necessary next.

You can’t fault coughing up just a fourth rounder for a NHL-caliber player.

Schultz, Fleury and Borgen are RD. Pics look like Megna is LD (?). That would put Soucy theoretically on the block if all are healthy, which seems unlikely with the Kraken’s current success, unless they get a haul, which they might. But maybe they look to get a haul for Megna within the month. Fascinating trade.

At the minimum the Kraken have added a depth defenseman on a league minimum contract in exchange for their least favorite 4th round pick, which is a lottery ticket.
Attachments
20230206_035257.jpg
20230206_035257.jpg (159.68 KiB) Viewed 477 times
20230206_035241.jpg
20230206_035235.jpg

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Beniers protection? Kraken trade for big defenseman Jaycob Megna

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:25 pm

Now they just need to get a big dude that plays forward and they'll be set.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:37 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:25 pm
Yeah, I was kind of hoping for Horvat, but the asking asking price that the Canucks wanted, forget that. There's a few guys out there available and Ron Francis has been getting great return on his trades so far as the GM. Just be patient seems to be their mantra. My favorite player Morgan Geekie could be on the outside looking in. But I could easily see him being packaged in a trade with picks for another more seasoned big FW.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:37 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:37 pm
Yeah, I was kind of hoping for Horvat, but the asking asking price that the Canucks wanted, forget that. There's a few guys out there available and Ron Francis has been getting great return on his trades so far as the GM. Just be patient seems to be their mantra. My favorite player Morgan Geekie could be on the outside looking in. But I could easily see him being packaged in a trade with picks for another more seasoned big FW.
Funny that he's your guy, he's our favorite too (my wife and I). Our last name is Gee and we were both born in '67, his number as you know. Man, hopefully they don't trade him.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:32 am

DavidGee24 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:37 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:37 pm
Funny that he's your guy, he's our favorite too (my wife and I). Our last name is Gee and we were both born in '67, his number as you know. Man, hopefully they don't trade him.
Wow! I thought I was the ONLY one. Yeah, super love that kid, and really hope they dont either. I feel like other players such as Tolvanen and Donato have been getting a lot more consistent ice time than Geekie. They've both been good recently, and I believe Donato will be on the first line if Beniers winds up missing any time.