Immaculate Conception

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Immaculate Conception

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:25 pm

bpj wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:59 am
ddraig wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:42 am
It's called FAITH. Something that, even if you don't believe in God, we are in short supply of these days. Lies by those in charge kill faith.
What are you referencing? What is called faith?
Believing that there is a purpose in life (beyond self gratification) and that there is good and evil and that you are ultimately judged and held accountable for how you act towards others?

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:15 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:25 pm
bpj wrote:
ddraig wrote:
It's called FAITH. Something that, even if you don't believe in God, we are in short supply of these days. Lies by those in charge kill faith.
Believing that there is a purpose in life (beyond self gratification) and that there is good and evil and that you are ultimately judged and held accountable for how you act towards others?
I get that.

But what brought it up? What question is ddraig answering when he says, "It's called faith."

What's called faith? Nobody asked anything remotely having to do with the answer he gave.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:27 pm

bpj wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:15 pm
Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:25 pm
bpj wrote:

I get that.

But what brought it up? What question is ddraig answering when he says, "It's called faith."

What's called faith? Nobody asked anything remotely having to do with the answer he gave.
Maybe he is telling me that I need to have faith that every species of animal on earth was loaded onto a wooden Ark and sailed around for 40 days until the floods that covered the entire planet subsided. lol btw that had to be quite a project rounding up all those WILD animals up and getting them to safely and orderly board the ark before tranquilizer darts were invented. :shock:
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:06 pm

bpj wrote:
ddraig wrote:
Faith is believing in something you can't touch, or see. I believe in a million dollars, but I've never seen it or touched it. And of course, with the IRS around I will never see it unless I make perhaps $2,ooo,ooo.

And Darren, you have to remember that many stories in the Bible were passed down verbally and recited to illiterate shepherds. Which is why, if you read the Creation Story, it's impossible for God to have created anything on the First Day. The Sun wasn't created on the 2nd Day, so how long was that 1st day? Probably not 24 hours! :lol: :lol:

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:52 pm

ddraig wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:06 pm
bpj wrote:
ddraig wrote:
Faith is believing in something you can't touch, or see. I believe in a million dollars, but I've never seen it or touched it. And of course, with the IRS around I will never see it unless I make perhaps $2,ooo,ooo.

And Darren, you have to remember that many stories in the Bible were passed down verbally and recited to illiterate shepherds. Which is why, if you read the Creation Story, it's impossible for God to have created anything on the First Day. The Sun wasn't created on the 2nd Day, so how long was that 1st day? Probably not 24 hours! :lol: :lol:
Regarding that, one thing that has always stuck out to me is this:
2 Peter 3:8-9 (and many other passages that say the same thing):

But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.
Personally I've never taken it literally that everything was created in a week because there are like 20 verses like this one.

Also, I've never taken Jesus to be a docile person living as if your turn the other cheek time after time. You onky havr two cheeks. He flipped the table of the tax man.

Turn the other cheek. Then, win.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:37 pm

I don't take anything in the Old Testament seriously unless it can be backed up by outside sources (Greek or Latin evidence). The New Testament has a lot of outside evidence. But still there are portions that you have to take it on faith... Or not.

douche

Post by douche » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:19 pm

Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:16 am
douche wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:02 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:47 pm
The old testament is really where it's at, some wild stories in there.
Wild stories, indeed. Religion... the root cause of almost every war in history.
Not true.
Ancient wars essentially amounted to territorial conquest, the control of borders, securing trade routes, and/or responding to an internal challenge to political authority. But when one mentions the beliefs behind countries going to war, how much of a factor does religion play in that? Difficult to know. Some wars are based on pure hatred. Is that religion-based?