Fireworks

HawkBowler 2.0

Fireworks

Post by HawkBowler 2.0 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:34 pm

Amazing footage of the LA skyline. Fireworks were banned. People could receive up to a $50,000 fine, and yet look:

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status ... -videos%2F

So the authorities don't want people to light off their own fireworks and at the same time they close down all the big light shows. Yeah, that makes sense.

I experienced something similar at my place. In a normal year, you don't see many private shows going on. This year it was all over the place. Reminded me of growing up. That's how we did it. BBQ and small arms fireworks. It's the best.

Michael K.

Re: Fireworks

Post by Michael K. » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:47 pm

Saw that, almost looks faked.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:48 pm

I live about 25-30 miles east of LA and after hearing the sporadic boom, all of sudden there was just an avalanche of booming coming from that direction. I thought maybe they were doing shows after all, but apparently not.

Could you imagine being one of the poor saps who actually happened to do it right in front of cops and getting cited? Winning the anti-lottery.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:56 pm

Nice big FU to Gavin Newsome. love it.
dt

Grandma Lynn

Post by Grandma Lynn » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:46 am

Loved the video. Like old times,
and believe me, I should know! ;)

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:32 pm

What was the reason given for the ban? I assume it was due to the possibility of wildfires. I don't know if that is a legitimate issue within residential areas there.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:01 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:32 pm
What was the reason given for the ban? I assume it was due to the possibility of wildfires. I don't know if that is a legitimate issue within residential areas there.
Mostly to discourage group gatherings - and this is also a major fire hazard time of year here. The level of fireworks - for weeks leading up to the holiday - was insane. I am talking weeks of non stop fireworks around me. People are couped up with nothing to do. I can tell you there was a fire along the Bollona Creek trail (near playa del rey) that was likely fireworks related. Also, remember how many morons there are out there in general - now give them nothing to do, take away all the sports and social activities, add in some alcohol - and that's a recipe for disaster. Banning things that start fires is probably a good idea. Too many idiots always ruin it for everyone. It's not about banning fireworks, it's about trying to minimize stupidity. When's the last time you walked outside and thought "yeah, people seem pretty smart" ?

By the way, was in DTLA yesterday at City Hall - another 'protest' was happening - totally peaceful - the chick with the mic was ranting about defunding the police - literally her demand was to take $25 million from police funding and 'give it to black businesses'. I shit you not that was a direct quote. LMAO! "give me your money' is always 'the solution'.

Moe Gibbs

Post by Moe Gibbs » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:53 pm

The "mortar shell" type are of course the type that is used in professional displays and they was a 21 year old kid killed this year in the Puget Sound area. The REALLY dangerous fire works look like a 1/4 stick of dynamite with a plastic helicopter wing attached to it. The wing has a total length of 3 inches or so and the wing itself makes a lot of noise when it's rotating. You set these little demons on a hard, level surface, light the fuse and then rush back as fast as you can to safety before it takes flight. At first the thing acts like a rocket engine that starts it spinning sideways. This gives the helicopter blade lift and now this thing is flying as high as 20 or 30 feet before it EXPLODES with about the same force as a 12 gauge shot gun shell. They tend to drift downwind before exploding. These are the most insane devices I've ever bought at the reservation.