Missing Titanic Submersible

DavidGee24

Re: Missing Titanic Submersible

Post by DavidGee24 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:39 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:34 pm
I think instead of ST trip next year I will organize a trip to the bottom of Mariana's Trench. Only 36k feet deep. Any one interested???
I hear it's cold down there so we should wear hoodies over our wetsuits.

Grandma Lynn

Post by Grandma Lynn » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:31 pm

I wonder if our prayers really
work anymore....

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:54 pm

Grandma Lynn wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:31 pm
I wonder if our prayers really
work anymore....
Personally, I've never believed in the power of prayer.
-sad I know-

For how many decades have religions prayed for world peace?
-and nothing ever happens-

Not to mention teen-age boys praying for "any piece". :)

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:02 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:34 pm
I think instead of ST trip next year I will organize a trip to the bottom of Mariana's Trench. Only 36k feet deep. Any one interested???
No thanks, I'm good!
Attachments
Screenshot_20230621_144808_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20230621_144808_Messenger.jpg (242.33 KiB) Viewed 269 times

douche

Post by douche » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:18 pm

The fact that The View even exists, and that people are paid to gossip, criticize and slander others is testament to the downfall of the human race. This woman must have been a real 'joy' growing up. If there was ever a child in all of history that was incorrectly named, this might be the pinnacle.

"While The View cohosts discussed the ongoing saga involving five people who reportedly went missing in the Atlantic ocean after their OceanGate Expeditions submersible set out Sunday at around 6 a.m. local time to explore the wreckage of the Titanic, the 80-year-old comedian likened the expensive excursion to something out of Hollywood's (several) takes on the sinking of the famed ship in 1912."

"It's interesting because the Titanic itself went down because of human incompetence and stupidity on the part of, according to the movies, hubris, and the same with this," Joy Behar said during the Hot Topics conversation, invoking James Cameron's 1997 epic Titanic — a dramatic tale of monetary ambition trumping passenger safety as the vessel sank without enough lifeboats to save those aboard. "That's the irony of it. They're going to see the same thing is happening to them. It's very sad and scary."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/the-v ... r-AA1cRlGt

maoling

Post by maoling » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:02 am

Nobody's ever brought anything bigger back than a pie plate from Titanic.

Nobody's ever been rescued alive from an underwater vessel of any kind deeper than a thousand feet, yes?

I've had a bad feeling about this from two hours after the story broke; if those guys snake out of this jam, that would be on par with the greatest survival stories in history.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:46 pm

douche wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:18 pm
The fact that The View even exists, and that people are paid to gossip, criticize and slander others is testament to the downfall of the human race. This woman must have been a real 'joy' growing up. If there was ever a child in all of history that was incorrectly named, this might be the pinnacle.

"While The View cohosts discussed the ongoing saga involving five people who reportedly went missing in the Atlantic ocean after their OceanGate Expeditions submersible set out Sunday at around 6 a.m. local time to explore the wreckage of the Titanic, the 80-year-old comedian likened the expensive excursion to something out of Hollywood's (several) takes on the sinking of the famed ship in 1912."

"It's interesting because the Titanic itself went down because of human incompetence and stupidity on the part of, according to the movies, hubris, and the same with this," Joy Behar said during the Hot Topics conversation, invoking James Cameron's 1997 epic Titanic — a dramatic tale of monetary ambition trumping passenger safety as the vessel sank without enough lifeboats to save those aboard. "That's the irony of it. They're going to see the same thing is happening to them. It's very sad and scary."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/the-v ... r-AA1cRlGt
This forum is pretty much your typical sewing circle. We certainly don't gossip, criticize or slander here :lol:

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:30 pm

Assuming you guys are familiar with the wife of the pilot CEO being related to victims of the titanic
Rush can trace her lineage as the great-great-granddaughter of Isidor Straus and his wife, Ida, both of whom were among the wealthiest individuals aboard the Titanic during its inaugural voyage. Born in 1845, Straus held a prominent position as a co-owner of Macy's department store.
I find the connections to the Uber rich more interesting than profit vs safety issues. It's like with trips into space. These seemingly scientific endeavors that become excursions for the rich

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:45 pm

This seemed an interesting article, I really didn't know anything about this, the Seattle angle . Interesting the connection between adventure tourism and science. Seems like it could have been more hubris than profit over safety.

In his speech at the Seattle tech conference, Rush described how various submarine safety programs were “over the top in their rules and regulations,” but they had no experience with carbon fiber.

“I remember him telling me that they didn’t have any way to evaluate his designs, although from an engineering point of view, they worked on paper and he tested them over and over again,” Stone said.

At one point, Rush took a one-third scale prototype of the Titan’s hull to a lab at the University of Washington where he could test it under extreme pressure to see how much it could stand. The testing could only be done at night, with other people gone, and when the hull finally imploded it shook the building and blew out the lab’s pressure sensors, which Rush had to replace, he said.

But, the test validated OceanGate’s approach to detect flaws in the hull by using sensitive acoustic monitoring that could detect crackles and pops as it strained under pressure, Rush said. The Titan has a 5-inch-thick (12.7-centimeter-thick) carbon-fiber hull designed to descend 4,000 meters.

Not everyone agreed with that approach. David Lochridge, OceanGate’s director of marine operations, wrote in a 2018 lawsuit that it could subject passengers to “potential extreme danger.”

“This type of acoustic analysis would only show when a component is about to fail — often milliseconds before an implosion — and would not detect any existing flaws prior to putting pressure onto the hull,” his wrongful termination claim said.

However, the company said Lochridge “is not an engineer and was not hired or asked to perform engineering services on the Titan.”

Rush described at the Seattle tech conference the unnerving experience of taking a prototype down to 4,000 meters, only to have it prove unsound via acoustic monitoring. After a second attempt the company scrapped the prototype constructed by a marine manufacturer and built another with an aerospace supplier.

In a 2018 letter, the Marine Technology Society, a professional group of ocean engineers, technologists, policy-makers and educators, complained to Rush that OceanGate should submit its prototype to tests overseen by an expert third party before launching in order to safeguard passengers.

“One of the things I learned is when you’re outside the box, it’s really hard to tell how far outside the box you are,” Rush said in the speech last year. “We were pretty far out there.”
https://apnews.com/article/oceangate-ti ... 31deeb3d96

One would imagine this is going to have a pretty big impact on this sort of thing in the future. I had sort of blown it off as an accident but it's probably more the Challenger equivalent to deep diving.

That's the deal with the titanic isn't it, it was hubris, not lack of spending. There wasn't reason to invest in lifeboats, the investment had been made into making it unsinkable

maoling

Post by maoling » Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:59 pm

They just announced that the submersible crew is lost. And it appears to have been an implosion at or about the time communication was lost Sunday morning.

Joy Behar is a freaking nasty witch. Wish we could send The View down in a submersible made of cement.