My VP picks in order of preference

Donn Beach

Re: My VP picks in order of preference

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Aug 01, 2024 4:52 pm

It's turning into an interesting race, another quote
Mr. Bond, the G.O.P. veteran, sums up the Trump playbook: “They have a two-part list. One is take Harris down.” The second is don’t let Mr. Trump be a jerk. “That’s the entire list,” he said — “and the second part may be impossible.”
Again, goes with my thinking. It will come down to who blows it. Harris in terms of responding to the attacks that will be coming from Trump. And Trump in terms of how he does about them. I can see to trump being temped to dwell on the race gender stuff. Things that had seemed like weaknesses for Harris becoming boobietraps for Trump if he sticks to them too much. Women and minorities are going to get tired of hearing it

gil

Post by gil » Thu Aug 01, 2024 5:46 pm

I know I've said before that Republicans will win in a rout if they can make the election about policy rather than anger and grievance. Unfortunately for Republicans, Trump has to do Trump: insulting the Vice President, insulting journalists interviewing him, belittling anyone who doesn't suck up. It's as if calling people names and being constantly pissed off at perceived slights, while vowing retribution, is Trump's version of being a real man. (And we all know how important it is to be a real man, right?)

“The discord and division in our society must be healed.” - Donald Trump, accepting the Republican nomination for president, July 18, 2024

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Aug 01, 2024 6:22 pm

What policy exactly, the crap they create? Americans approval of the supreme court is at an all time low, how is that treating the republicans? The economy is actually doing well though nobody wants to admit it. Their border arguments are based on fear mongering. The national debt, trump added to it as much as anyone. I'd forgotten Trump's birthing attacks on Obama, and here we are again with the same old crap. lol. It's just funny to me. We'll see if they can make it work

gil

Post by gil » Thu Aug 01, 2024 7:56 pm

I happen to agree with your points. But I'd argue that if the Republican candidate's messaging focuses on the southern border problems (immigration and drugs) and the inflation that has occurred the past 3+ years, a Democratic candidate will be in deep hole. Yes, I know Trump did not solve the border problem (and torpedoed a bipartisan Congressional solution a few months back). Yes I know that inflation has been a global phenomenon (therefore clearly not something that Biden caused). But that logic isn't necessary the way political contests play out. As the the Supreme Court, I think Trump will trumpet his 3 picks when he is talking with certain audiences. The appeal to states rights and limits the power of the administrative state are things that quite a few moderates support, I believe.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Aug 01, 2024 8:32 pm

I think they are pretty focused on those issues and the balance between the parties is basically a toss up. I think in order win they are looking for things to attack Harris with, they want to swift boat her. They want something to pin on her that would question her as a viable president. That's the problem now, they had that with Biden, questioning his competency due to his age. But now Trump has become the old fart. At this point Trump is flailing around. They have to come up with better ammunition than claiming she's not really black, that's just silly.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Thu Aug 01, 2024 9:59 pm

gil wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 7:56 pm
I happen to agree with your points. But I'd argue that if the Republican candidate's messaging focuses on the southern border problems (immigration and drugs) and the inflation that has occurred the past 3+ years, a Democratic candidate will be in deep hole. Yes, I know Trump did not solve the border problem (and torpedoed a bipartisan Congressional solution a few months back). Yes I know that inflation has been a global phenomenon (therefore clearly not something that Biden caused). But that logic isn't necessary the way political contests play out. As the the Supreme Court, I think Trump will trumpet his 3 picks when he is talking with certain audiences. The appeal to states rights and limits the power of the administrative state are things that quite a few moderates support, I believe.
Sure they're focused on it... but there's no non-fantastical policy that they're proposing to change it.

Their focus is:

Joe Biden lets tens of millions of immigrants in this country per day! Ok... and your policy is? "A WALL THAT NEVER GOT BUILT THAT MEXICO WAS SUPPOSED TO PAY FOR!"

Inflation is really high and it's Joe Biden's fault (it has actually leveled out to more or less normal number, businesses are just charging consumers more out of greed)!!! Ok... and your policy is? Well... JOE BIDEN!

The only thing Trump can really stand is abortion I guess? But abortion rights are deeply popular rights... generally around a 70/30 split in popularity vs not. And he pissed off a good bulk of women doing it.

I said this once a long time ago on this forum:

Instead of blaming Democrats for everything... why not be really good at justifying policy that flys in the face of the Democrat agenda? Perhaps you'll convert some people.

This blame and hate game doesn't convert anyone and is just digging the hole deeper for the party.

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:00 pm

gil wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 5:46 pm
I know I've said before that Republicans will win in a rout if they can make the election about policy rather than anger and grievance. Unfortunately for Republicans, Trump has to do Trump: insulting the Vice President, insulting journalists interviewing him, belittling anyone who doesn't suck up. It's as if calling people names and being constantly pissed off at perceived slights, while vowing retribution, is Trump's version of being a real man. (And we all know how important it is to be a real man, right?)

“The discord and division in our society must be healed.” - Donald Trump, accepting the Republican nomination for president, July 18, 2024
The amount of negativity from the Dem side makes what Trump says look like nothing. You people are just blind to the constant nonsense the lib media and politicians spew against Trump, get outta here with that shit.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:02 pm

bpj wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:00 pm
gil wrote:

The amount of negativity from the Dem side makes what Trump says look like nothing. You people are just blind to the constant nonsense the lib media and politicians spew against Trump, get outta here with that shit.
If you were to poll Americans... it would go overwhelmingly in favor of democrats when it comes to negative rhetoric used.

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:04 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:02 pm
bpj wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2024 10:00 pm
gil wrote:

If you were to poll Americans... it would go overwhelmingly in favor of democrats when it comes to negative rhetoric used.
Doubt that.

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:38 am

"bUT tRuMPf DidN'T EvEN BuILd tHe WAll!"

You people are literal retards.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240801_183524_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20240801_183545_DuckDuckGo.jpg