Missing Titanic Submersible

Donn Beach

Re: Missing Titanic Submersible

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:34 am

It can be done as a cooperative effort with regulatory agencies. If I was going for a dive I think I'd like to see a certification
.Take for example the sub called the Limiting Factor. This vessel, designed by Triton submarines, has repeatedly travelled to the very deepest places in the ocean - performing many dives to the bottom of the Mariana Trench, which lies 11km down.

It's a truly unique and cutting-edge vessel - but the team behind it collaborated with the DNV classification agency from design, through to construction and testing. And the Limiting Factor is fully certified to repeatedly - and safely - dive to any depth in the ocean

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:49 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:34 am
It can be done as a cooperative effort with regulatory agencies. If I was going for a dive I think I'd like to see a certification
.Take for example the sub called the Limiting Factor. This vessel, designed by Triton submarines, has repeatedly travelled to the very deepest places in the ocean - performing many dives to the bottom of the Mariana Trench, which lies 11km down.

It's a truly unique and cutting-edge vessel - but the team behind it collaborated with the DNV classification agency from design, through to construction and testing. And the Limiting Factor is fully certified to repeatedly - and safely - dive to any depth in the ocean
More government regulation?
Always a good plan.
:roll: :roll:

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:00 pm

More? You go with the uncertified submarine, you can be my guest.

I really don't give a shit if some idiot wants to build a halfbaked submarine and kill himself with it. It's the taking along passengers that seems odd. Bloom talks about how Rush tried to convince him how safe it was

maoling

Post by maoling » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:39 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:04 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:17 pm
maoling wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:45 pm

According to survivor reports, Ida Strauss was offered a seat in a lifeboat, but chose to stay with her husband. True love right there.
Yeah, they are depicted in Cameron's movie.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GC ... 1q6-dGplQE
I only saw that Celine-fest movie once and I don't recall the Strauss scenes. I remember them from the excellent book, A Night to Remember by Walter Lord, and also from equally excellent film by the same name that starred Kenneth More.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:26 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:00 pm
More? You go with the uncertified submarine, you can be my guest.

I really don't give a shit if some idiot wants to build a halfbaked submarine and kill himself with it. It's the taking along passengers that seems odd. Bloom talks about how Rush tried to convince him how safe it was
That's right.....I don't give a shit either. They can all die, I don't care. IT was their choice to take the trip. WE don't need government getting into everybody's business.

If something goes wrong, that's what the court system is for.

The solution to every stupid-ass decision is not ALWAYS government intervention.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:57 pm

Who the fuck said anything about government intervention, it's obviously a voluntary system since he didn't have to do it. And as far as I can tell it's privately run.

This is who would have done it
https://ww2.eagle.org/en.html

Isn't that what you like, having things handled by the private sector?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:41 pm

. The 2018 letter from a professional trade group, the Marine Technology Society, flagged the company's marketing materials which advertised that the Titan's design would meet or exceed a certification called DNV-GL. Stemming from the independent Norwegian foundation Det Norske Veritas, or DNV, the certification is considered the gold standard for marine equipment.

But, the Marine Technology Society noted, "it does not appear that OceanGate has the intention of following DNV-GL class rules." Such representations would be "misleading to the public and breaches an industry-wide professional code of conduct we all endeavor to uphold," the letter added
Again, those are private organizations. It's not about being antigovernment. He was against the culture of shipbuilders and how the it's evolved. And he was misrepresenting his product. I do not hold the victims he conned with going along with him in the same light as I do him

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:45 pm

maoling wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:39 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:04 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:17 pm

Yeah, they are depicted in Cameron's movie.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GC ... 1q6-dGplQE
I only saw that Celine-fest movie once and I don't recall the Strauss scenes. I remember them from the excellent book, A Night to Remember by Walter Lord, and also from equally excellent film by the same name that starred Kenneth More.
Interesting, I read that as a kid, don't remember it anymore. It is considered an excellent book and the movie is considered more accurate than Cameron's

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:29 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:57 pm
Who the fuck said anything about government intervention, it's obviously a voluntary system since he didn't have to do it. And as far as I can tell it's privately run.

Whats your defination of:
It can be done as a cooperative effort with regulatory agencies.

To me a Regulatory Agency......is government.

gil

Post by gil » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:45 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:29 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:57 pm

Whats your defination of:
It can be done as a cooperative effort with regulatory agencies.

To me a Regulatory Agency......is government.
I think there are some good example of private "regulation" - basically rules of the road - such as Underwriters Laboratory. But the biggest "market failure" in the Titan submersible case is this: Which private organizations spent their resources on the search? Which ones are planning recovery? Which ones will investigate? Obviously these are presumptive questions. It's the public sector (i.e., government) doing all these things.

Ideally I'd like government to enforce property rights and get out of the way, period. But when people do risky things and then get in trouble and expect government help, I'd prefer government regulation happen earlier on the process. Sort of like people building their dream house in a Mississippi River flood plain, knowing full well the flood risks, not insuring themselves fully, and then crying for federal disaster relief.