OT: Great performances

seattlefan-daBronx

Re: OT: Great performances

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:50 pm

Did anyone see the performance on CBS with Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett recently?
It was in Carnegie Hall / NYC.
They're replaying it on Paramount plus.
I think Gaga is a call girl of the elite and a total wack job BUT she's got great pipes!
and not too hard on the eyes when she actually cleans up.
I loved how she treated and worked with her senior performer Bennett as well.
Very respectful and caring. She impressed me.
He can still carry a tune at the seasoned age of 95!
Another piece of Amerciana driving off into the sunset.
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:50 am

Another all time great performance - Lynyrd Skynyrd - Oakland Coliseum, 1977 - Sweet Home Alabama.

This is so great on so many levels - it's hard to capture just how epic this masterpiece is.
Most lean into Freebird - but I find this to be the ultimate Skynyrd anthem - especially this performance.
The Confederate flag in Cali - and no one is offended.
Gary Rossington's first solo - leading into Billy Powell on the piano - a can of Budweiser with the pull top.
Doesn't get any more "America' than that.
Then Steve Gaines solo - and the perfect transition into Alan Collins solo - which is my favorite piece of music from the band.
Collins is an enigma to me - never saw a picture of him smiling - not even as a kid. There is a simmering melancholy to him - as if happiness was always only fleeting. The tragedy would unfold a few months down the road. Collins would survive - only to have an even worse car accident.

I did a piece on LS for Access Hollywood back in my music segment producer days. Met the surviving members, but the tragedy of what might have been was always the elephant. One of the great musical mouth pieces in American history - the Southern Zeppelin if you will. That rebel spirit is missed in 2022. That Alan Collins solo - so good - and he doesn't even look like he enjoys it.

Sweet Home Alabama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GxWmSV ... kynyrdonMV

maoling

Post by maoling » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:58 am

Another all time great performance - Lynyrd Skynyrd - Oakland Coliseum, 1977 - Sweet Home Alabama.

This thread reminds me of lots of great concerts I went to in the '70s, but was too wasted to remember lol. Skynyrd '76, Seattle Center Coliseum. I think that was the one. Wasn't the plane crash in '77?

I even forgot about the two or three times I saw The Grateful Dead lol. I blame acid, shrooms and other psychedelics that high school kids shouldn't be allowed to have. Had to draw the line with peyote, however.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:05 pm

auroraave wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:50 am

This is so great on so many levels - it's hard to capture just how epic this masterpiece is.
Most lean into Freebird - but I find this to be the ultimate Skynyrd anthem - especially this performance.
The Confederate flag in Cali - and no one is offended.
Gary Rossington's first solo - leading into Billy Powell on the piano - a can of Budweiser with the pull top.
Doesn't get any more "America' than that.
Then Steve Gaines solo - and the perfect transition into Alan Collins solo - which is my favorite piece of music from the band.
Collins is an enigma to me - never saw a picture of him smiling - not even as a kid. There is a simmering melancholy to him - as if happiness was always only fleeting. The tragedy would unfold a few months down the road. Collins would survive - only to have an even worse car accident.

I did a piece on LS for Access Hollywood back in my music segment producer days. Met the surviving members, but the tragedy of what might have been was always the elephant. One of the great musical mouth pieces in American history - the Southern Zeppelin if you will. That rebel spirit is missed in 2022. That Alan Collins solo - so good - and he doesn't even look like he enjoys it.

Sweet Home Alabama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GxWmSV ... kynyrdonMV
Watched it again. So Awesome. And then watched this. Horrible....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlbckYOy-mw
dt

Grandma Lynn

Post by Grandma Lynn » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:23 am

Lady Gaga has a beautiful voice.
As for her looks, not too impressive.
But she's sure talented and probably
a decent person??
Tony is older than me! Finally someone
is! Yes, he sure can still belt them out.
They propped him up by the piano and
he did fine.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:10 am

I've always found Bob Seger underrated. He is a fucking great musician. Blue collar, Detroit, just a great artist and performer. Not Led Zep, but not trying to be. Limited but brilliant.

Against the Wind 1980. Shitty video, great song, strong performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5ZegCE ... el=13julyx

His style isn't necessarily incredible, but it feels necessary.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:10 am

There may be songs I like as much as, but none more than, this absolute classic; Hallowed be Thy Name, off the Number of the Beast album. Wow. A perfect song vocally, lyrically, and musically.YThe guitar work is unmatchedand the bass work next level. Also, watching 20 somethings taking in 80's metal for the first time? F*cking priceless. Best song, best reaction video. If you know the song, you're like, "yeah, this is epic." If you haven't heard it... you're welcome. If you ain't seen a 'reaction video'... even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ0eRdm ... ndy%26Alex

douche

Post by douche » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:10 pm

I think this cover destroys the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wUVg8_b-YE

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:23 am

Time for something new - how about Canada's "other power trio" Triumph. If you know, you know. Rik Emmett f*cking blistering it on this one. Triumph was another Canadian band that was popular in Seattle when I was growing up - and this performance absolutely unleashes the beast.

Lay it On the Line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCWj8Nz ... riumphVEVO