UW Scientist gets criticized for saying heat wave isn't climate change

Walla Walla Dawg II

Re: UW Scientist gets criticized for saying heat wave isn't climate change

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:41 pm

ddraig wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:25 pm
All you need to do is look at what our "betters" are doing about "Climate Change." Private jets to conferences held in ritzy places, being driven in limos and SUV's, and the worst indictment: Purchasing view property on the coast. If they were sooooo worried about the sea levels rising, why did the Obamas purchase property on Martha's Vineyard?

I watched the video, aurora, and all it really does is point out that people don't look at the realities of programs. If they did, they would run away screaming from the Democrat Party en masse! Like the Paris Climate Accords. The U.S. and Europe have to comply, but China, India, and Russia are exempt. China produces more pollution that the next 10 countries combined.
And keep in mind that the land mass of the USA compared to china is virtually the same. But the population is drastically different.

So why all the pollution?

Grandma Lynn

Post by Grandma Lynn » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:10 am

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:42 pm
Grandma Lynn wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:01 am
When it's cold I can add clothes.
When it's too hot......
Take it off baby!!! ;)
Somehow I was waiting for that!
At my age I doubt I would!! (To
protect people from a shock!)

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:13 pm

Grandma Lynn wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:10 am
Grandma Lynn wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:01 am
When it's cold I can add clothes.
When it's too hot......
Take it off baby!!! ;)
I understand. Us "younger" gentlemen are mostly talk anyway. We wouldn't want to be put in our place by an older woman. :D

gil

Post by gil » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:43 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:43 pm
gil wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:33 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:56 pm
Here it is and there is quite the spike but note that it isn't any higher than it was 7k years ago.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/c ... y%E2%80%9D
Good find. I wonder if the earth was receiving more solar energy 7K years ago.

I'm sure I've said this before: I'm not really a "save the earth" person. But the rapid increase in temperatures has me worried about humans and our civilization's ability to adjust: where we grow crops, where we live, etc. 7,000 years ago was the Neolithic era: agriculture had just been developed.

Related to sea level rise: Do any of the east coast people here experience "nuisance flooding" on clear days?
I live 100 yards from the beach in Quincy, MA. The Tide rises and falls 12 feet twice a day. Even on King tide days, it isn't remotely close to cause any flooding...
Do you know what your elevation above sea level is? Are you up on a bluff/hill/rise a little bit? The "nuisance" or "clear day" flooding I have heard about are flatter places, often several blocks from the beach. One example: https://www.postandcourier.com/rising-w ... fa0a9.html

More urgently, good luck with the hurricane! Stay safe, dt.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:03 pm

gil wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:43 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:43 pm
gil wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:33 pm

Good find. I wonder if the earth was receiving more solar energy 7K years ago.

I'm sure I've said this before: I'm not really a "save the earth" person. But the rapid increase in temperatures has me worried about humans and our civilization's ability to adjust: where we grow crops, where we live, etc. 7,000 years ago was the Neolithic era: agriculture had just been developed.

Related to sea level rise: Do any of the east coast people here experience "nuisance flooding" on clear days?
I live 100 yards from the beach in Quincy, MA. The Tide rises and falls 12 feet twice a day. Even on King tide days, it isn't remotely close to cause any flooding...
Do you know what your elevation above sea level is? Are you up on a bluff/hill/rise a little bit? The "nuisance" or "clear day" flooding I have heard about are flatter places, often several blocks from the beach. One example: https://www.postandcourier.com/rising-w ... fa0a9.html

More urgently, good luck with the hurricane! Stay safe, dt.
Light Blue house bottom right. Guessing we are about 20 feet above sea level. Thanks!
2.jpg
2.jpg (40.7 KiB) Viewed 632 times
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:36 am

Nice looking crib.
Way too close to all the neighbors for my liking. If I can't take a gun outside at any time and shoot at any time...I wouldn't be happy.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:41 pm

Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:36 am
Nice looking crib.
Way too close to all the neighbors for my liking. If I can't take a gun outside at any time and shoot at any time...I wouldn't be happy.
Thanks, yes not a lot of land up for grabs on the eastern seaboard. Amazingly though if you just drive 30-60 minutes west it is more Rural than Eastern Washington.

I will definitely be looking for a few acres for my retirement crib.
dt

Grandma Lynn

Post by Grandma Lynn » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:31 am

Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:13 pm
Grandma Lynn wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:10 am

Take it off baby!!! ;)
I understand. Us "younger" gentlemen are mostly talk anyway. We wouldn't want to be put in our place by an older woman. :D
And I'm the one to do it!

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:52 am

The evidence is clear, folks!

These people are such idiots. Just keep funneling money out of our pockets for this nonsense and the lib muppets just collectively bend over and invite it.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210908-175049_Twitter.jpg
Screenshot_20210908-175049_Twitter.jpg (259.89 KiB) Viewed 584 times

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:05 pm

gil wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:27 pm

I don't disagree with anything you wrote about the changing climate in earth's history.

But where do you get the idea that the other planets are warming over a meaning full time frame? What kind of data do we have?
https://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/resea ... rming.html

A Gloomy Mars Warms Up05.14.07

For the past 30 years, NASA scientists have been using high-tech satellite equipment to study features on the face of Mars. It appears a slight change in the planet’s surface luster has caused its temperature to rise.

To determine the extent of surface changes on Mars, scientists took images from the Viking (launched 1975) and Mars Global Surveyor (1996) satellite missions and mapped them into a climate model developed at NASA Ames Research Center. They discovered that a wind-whipped, dusty surface has a measurable effect on the amount of sunlight that is reflected by the planet. The results of this research show that an increase in darkened surface areas may account for a one degree Fahrenheit rise in the surface air temperature of the planet.

We know that warmer temperatures and increased wind strengths are near the darkened areas where less sunlight is reflected by the surface, and cooler temperatures and weakened winds generally correspond to brightened areas” explained Lori Fenton, the experiment’s principal investigator at NASA Ames Research Center, in California's Silicon Valley. “What we don’t understand is how these changes in the planet’s brightness affect the martian climate.”

“Albedo” is the technical term for a planet’s ability to reflect sunlight. According to scientists, variations in the planet’s albedo are generally attributed to changes in distribution of dust on the surface.

Research indicates that as the dark areas on Mars expand and darken over time, its albedo decreases, and its surface air temperature rise. Large surface areas, some almost twice the size of the continent of Africa (over 34 million square miles), have been observed to darken or brighten by 10 percent or more, which speaks to the magnitude of these global surface changes.

“The coupling of these processes with albedo changes could produce a surface-atmosphere feedback loop, in which surface albedo reductions, or darkened areas, enhance the windiness and dust devil formation that produce surface changes. Increased heating near the surface leads to greater atmospheric instability,” explained Fenton.

In other words, scientists think that when surface areas darken and expand, relatively more energy from the sun is being absorbed by the surface, which causes temperatures to rise near the surface. This, in turn, produces a less stable atmosphere generating more turbulent eddies and whirling dust devils. The more dust that is redistributed to bright surfaces, the more surfaces darken and expand, which causes more sunlight to be absorbed, increased temperatures, and less stable the atmosphere, say scientists.

“In particular, the slight increase in surface air temperature is similar to climate variations seen on Earth, even though the processes involved are significantly different,” added Fenton.

Moreover, scientists suspect that a change in global surface albedo could influence the formation of dust storms on both local and global scales. They report that the surface brightening and atmospheric cooling following the 2001 global dust storm may affect the timing of future large dust storms. Research demonstrates that surface areas may brighten depending on the way dust settles, which would suppress winds and ‘dust devil’ formation, the two mechanisms potentially responsible for dust storm initiation.

“Although the events that trigger dust storms have yet to be understood, this work demonstrates that one contributing factor may be a decrease in surface albedo. Martian climate indicators, such as global dust storm occurrences, polar energy balance, and annual global-mean air temperature, are dependent on many interrelated and poorly understood processes. By investigating solely the effects of changes in surface albedo (from two very different Mars years), we have shown that albedo interacts with, and could in part drive, other climate-influencing processes on Mars,” said Fenton.

These and related studies appeared in Nature, 2007.

For further information, please visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/home

Ruth Marlaire
NASA Ames Research Center

I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you on this, but here is my reference from NASA. All I did was search on "Temperature increase on Mars". The information is out there if you care to look at it. And most of it comes from NASA. But my last note is that the final paragraph points to MANY DIFFERENT CAUSES. So trying to single out something like, say, CO2, as the ONE SINGLE CAUSE of Global Warming is a fool's errand. Climate, like the Science of Economics, has many interrelated factors that cannot be separated from each other. And this too points to a problem saying that humans are causing the situation.

I teach my kids to be skeptical when looking at Science. "Settled Science" said that Galileo was wrong. How did that work out? Now, "Settled Science" once told us that burning trash is bad but recent studies (an article in that "World Renown" Auburn Reporter, on Tuesday states that burning our trash isn't bad for the environment. Then there is this article from SkepticalScience.com that raises some curious questions about anthropogenic global warming.

https://skepticalscience.com/global-war ... system.htm

I'm not going to post the entire article, and I am certain that many will begin to throw stones BECAUSE it is a website that is "anti-Science", but the reality is that nothing in Science is "Settled" unless you can prove it. How about Evolution? "Settled Science." And that's exactly why we call it The THEORY of Evolution, right? I want my kids to be skeptics. Dig deeper. Don't take what is "Settled" and believe it just because a lot of people say it is "Settled!"