Guys have a penis. Girls have a vagina.

D-train

Re: Guys have a penis. Girls have a vagina.

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:01 pm

gil wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:17 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:29 pm
gil wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:24 pm
I think I should start using it/its to my signature line. (I never got the they/them thing.)

I was listening to a police official reporting the names of the dead in one of this week's mass shootings (I forget which one but I think it was Colorado Springs). He was reading a statement that said something like: "The first victim was Joe Smith. Joe's pronouns were he/him. The second victim was Many Jones. Mary's pronouns were she/her. ..." I'm trying to figure out my reactions to this. The economist in me says, it's a very inefficient use of press conference and police time. She sociologist in me says, if you are going to spend the extra time saying something (beyond name) about a victim, are that person's pronouns the most important thing? (Or maybe that is still the economist talking.)

And why stop at "he/him"? What not "he/him/his"? Don't possessive pronouns get any respect? :geek:
The lunacy of having it in your twitter profile is that you would NEVER use he or him or she or her when replaying to someone. It is a One on One conversation.

You wouldn't say, I agree with he or I think her is crazy. You would just use YOU. And if especially if the have a profile pic that shows they are CLEARLY a biological man or woman. It is just absurd virtue signaling nonsense like masks in the profile pic or Ukrainian flag.
Uh oh. Two strikes against me on the virtue signaling front. :lol:

Yeah I get what you are saying about one on one conversations. But people also refer to twitter posts all the time, including in mainstream news stories. So it can be "she posted xyz", or "they replied to him by saying yadda yadda".

But in all honestly, I don't get why people care so much about what someone else wants to be called. I've got better things (or worse things) to stress about. If someone tells me "please refer to me as they/them rather the he/him" it's no big deal. Sort of like "I prefer to be called William rather than Bill."
fyi you misspelled your name in your handle. lol
dt

gil

Post by gil » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:40 pm

:?
D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:01 pm
gil wrote:
D-train wrote:

The lunacy of having it in your twitter profile is that you would NEVER use he or him or she or her when replaying to someone. It is a One on One conversation.

You wouldn't say, I agree with he or I think her is crazy. You would just use YOU. And if especially if the have a profile pic that shows they are CLEARLY a biological man or woman. It is just absurd virtue signaling nonsense like masks in the profile pic or Ukrainian flag.

Yeah I get what you are saying about one on one conversations. But people also refer to twitter posts all the time, including in mainstream news stories. So it can be "she posted xyz", or "they replied to him by saying yadda yadda".

But in all honestly, I don't get why people care so much about what someone else wants to be called. I've got better things (or worse things) to stress about. If someone tells me "please refer to me as they/them rather the he/him" it's no big deal. Sort of like "I prefer to be called William rather than Bill."
fyi you misspelled your name in your handle. lol
I'm suspect there is an insult in there somewhere, but I don't get it. :? ;)

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:50 pm

Shouldn't it be Gilliam? :)
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:55 pm

gil wrote:
D-train wrote:
gil wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:24 pm
I think I should start using it/its to my signature line. (I never got the they/them thing.)

I was listening to a police official reporting the names of the dead in one of this week's mass shootings (I forget which one but I think it was Colorado Springs). He was reading a statement that said something like: "The first victim was Joe Smith. Joe's pronouns were he/him. The second victim was Many Jones. Mary's pronouns were she/her. ..." I'm trying to figure out my reactions to this. The economist in me says, it's a very inefficient use of press conference and police time. She sociologist in me says, if you are going to spend the extra time saying something (beyond name) about a victim, are that person's pronouns the most important thing? (Or maybe that is still the economist talking.)

And why stop at "he/him"? What not "he/him/his"? Don't possessive pronouns get any respect? :geek:

I do get calling a Trans person pronouns of their new gender. But I don't get people getting upset if people don't us incorrect grammar by calling a single person a THEY. That's bat shat crazy. If a trans woman is a woman and a Trans man a man then there should be no they needed.
dt

gil

Post by gil » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:05 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:50 pm
:lol: Got it!

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:35 pm

gil wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:05 pm
D-train wrote:
I thought at first that you were saying you name was William but then realized it was just an example but went with Gilliam anyway. lol
dt

gil

Post by gil » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:57 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:35 pm
gil wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:05 pm
D-train wrote:
I thought at first that you were saying you name was William but then realized it was just an example but went with Gilliam anyway. lol
Despite how slow I am on the uptake, that's pretty good!

gil

Post by gil » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:03 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:55 pm
gil wrote:
D-train wrote:

I do get calling a Trans person pronouns of their new gender. But I don't get people getting upset if people don't us incorrect grammar by calling a single person a THEY. That's bat shat crazy. If a trans woman is a woman and a Trans man a man then there should be no they needed.
I don't get it either. My first speculation is that there are some people who identify as neither M not F, or at least, not exclusively. My second speculation is that there are some people who use they/them to say "none of your frickin business." My third speculation is that it's mysterious, maybe even trendy (in some circles) to be a "they/them."

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:52 am

gil wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:03 pm
D-train wrote:
gil wrote:

I don't get it either. My first speculation is that there are some people who identify as neither M not F, or at least, not exclusively. My second speculation is that there are some people who use they/them to say "none of your frickin business." My third speculation is that it's mysterious, maybe even trendy (in some circles) to be a "they/them."
They/Them is for people that identify as non-binary, as neither male nor female. And if you suggest those people might be narcissists, you're guilty of hate speech and could get suspended or banned from various platforms.

gil

Post by gil » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:12 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:52 am
gil wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:03 pm
D-train wrote:

They/Them is for people that identify as non-binary, as neither male nor female. And if you suggest those people might be narcissists, you're guilty of hate speech and could get suspended or banned from various platforms.
Got it, thanks.

I didn't realize that calling someone a narcissist was hate speech.

- Gilliam (pronouns: I/me/mine)