Roe vs. Wade Overturned by Supreme Court

bpj

Re: Roe vs. Wade Overturned by Supreme Court

Post by bpj » Sun May 08, 2022 12:56 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 12:09 am
ddraig wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 10:29 pm
For those who feel an unborn baby is not a human being but only a fetus, I have one question. Why does the baby have different DNA than that of the mother? If the unborn baby is just a lump of cells, why don't the baby and the mother have the same DNA? Seems to me that different DNA means it is an individual human being. Just a thought.
At what point do you call it a baby? I would agree of course that at any stage of development it is a separate life form.
If the absence of a heartbeat determines when an adult is "dead", the presence of a heartbeat in the womb is when a baby is "alive".

That doesn't mean it's not a baby before that, but no denying it's alive at that point, imo.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 08, 2022 4:17 pm

Imagine thinking that only reason people would be against abortion is because they are religious.
dt

gil

Post by gil » Sun May 08, 2022 5:36 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 4:17 pm
Imagine thinking that only reason people would be against abortion is because they are religious.
Some people are wrong. (Obviously the least profound thing I have said today lol)

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Sun May 08, 2022 5:46 pm

D-train wrote:
Who, specifically, has made that claim? If it was someone on here, please cut and paste where they said those exact words. I'd love to see that.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 08, 2022 7:33 pm

auroraave wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 5:46 pm
D-train wrote:
Who, specifically, has made that claim? If it was someone on here, please cut and paste where they said those exact words. I'd love to see that.
LOL It is literally on the sign of the guy in the pic I posted. "Fuck Your God" assumes that people are pro life because of God right???
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Mon May 09, 2022 1:23 pm

No where is anyone claiming "... the only reason people would be against abortion is because they are religious." There are reasons people are against it that have nothing to do with religion. Are some people against it because of religion? Yeah. It's a big factor. The only reason? No one has made that claim. Isn't it true that there are people who ARE pro life specifically because of religion?

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon May 09, 2022 1:50 pm

auroraave wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:23 pm
No where is anyone claiming "... the only reason people would be against abortion is because they are religious." There are reasons people are against it that have nothing to do with religion. Are some people against it because of religion? Yeah. It's a big factor. The only reason? No one has made that claim. Isn't it true that there are people who ARE pro life specifically because of religion?
I am specifically referring to the clown in the pic. The fact that he chose that as his sign to bring to the protest would lead one to think that if not the only reason, the primary reason people would be against abortion is because of their religious beliefs. You don't have to believe in God to know the difference between right and wrong and not only does that guy somehow doesn't get that, he thinks the best way to protest is to insult religious people.
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Mon May 09, 2022 2:11 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:50 pm
auroraave wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:23 pm
I am specifically referring to the clown in the pic. The fact that he chose that as his sign to bring to the protest would lead one to think that if not the only reason, the primary reason people would be against abortion is because of their religious beliefs. You don't have to believe in God to know the difference between right and wrong and not only does that guy somehow doesn't get that, he thinks the best way to protest is to insult religious people.
There ARE people who's primary objection is purely religious. Are you suggesting there aren't? You know there are. It's fundamental with the religious far right. I'll bet there are people on this forum who object purely on religious reasons - and I doubt they will admit it because then they have to acknowledge separation of church and state in policy making and have to find another 'reason' to make it illegal, and we run into the 'your religious beliefs are not government policy' reality. So, then they turn to 'it's murder' argument, which is fine, but they also acknowledge that abortion is a necessary choice in situations, but then they also want to call it 'murder' when they disapprove of the situation because, somehow it's murder in one situation, but not in another - and that's hypocritical nonsense because termination of a fetus is termination of a fetus - and then their whole argument falls apart. There ARE people whose objection is purely based on religious grounds.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon May 09, 2022 2:26 pm

Yes, obviously the religious Right are most fervently against it often with no exceptions which I clearly don't agree with.

I do think there is a significant difference between early and late term just like there is a significant difference between stepping on an ant on the sidewalk and doing what Michael Vick did to dogs. All rational moral people are fine with the former and against the latter (even though both are taking a life) regardless of religion.
dt

Mel Bradford

Post by Mel Bradford » Tue May 10, 2022 12:54 pm

The suspected leaker is a law clerk under associate justice Sotomayor. His name is Amit Jain.....an Indian communist/ Yale graduate.