Roe vs. Wade Overturned by Supreme Court

D-train

Re: Roe vs. Wade Overturned by Supreme Court

Post by D-train » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:15 pm

gil wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:36 pm
Did you see the pushback Rep. Liz Cheney is getting about applauding the SCOTUS ruling on Roe?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RepLizCheney/status ... mwu-AqAAAA[/tweet]

Sometimes I get discouraged arguing that there is not a single right versus left dimension, although some people (maybe an increasingly number) are "pure left" or "pure right." On everything. Predictably. Why can't you agree with a person on one issue and disagree on another? I disagree with Cheney - strongly disagree - on abortion. But I think she is doing the right thing on the Jan 6 committee.
I agree with her on Roe v Wade and disagree on Jan. 6th. Just that easy.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:19 pm

gil wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:25 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:32 pm
A guy had an interesting hypothetical on the drive home from the Cape today.

What if there was a genetic test for being gay or trans that could administered in the womb and Parents that didn't want a gay or trans child were aborting the ones that tested positive. I wonder if the libs would still passionately defend abortion. :o
If I listen to some of my conservative friends, being gay - or wanting to be trans - is a lifestyle choice. Nothing to worry about then. :?
I think people are born gay but what's up with the Q in LGBTQ. If you are born gay what is there to question.
dt

gil

Post by gil » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:43 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:15 pm
gil wrote:
Did you see the pushback Rep. Liz Cheney is getting about applauding the SCOTUS ruling on Roe?

Sometimes I get discouraged arguing that there is not a single right versus left dimension, although some people (maybe an increasingly number) are "pure left" or "pure right." On everything. Predictably. Why can't you agree with a person on one issue and disagree on another? I disagree with Cheney - strongly disagree - on abortion. But I think she is doing the right thing on the Jan 6 committee.
So you are being "consistently conservative" on the two issues, and I am being "constantly liberal." And Cheney is being vilified by Republicans for one and by Democrats for the other, because she isn't towing either party line.

Honestly I'm surprised and disappointed how so many Republicans completely embrace the idea that Cheney is through and through a bad legislator because of one stance she has taken. As if she has gone to the dark side on a range of issues. I'm also surprised and disappointed that (it appears) so many democrats are shocked by Cheney celebrating the downfall of Roe. As far as I know she has been rock solid conservative on this and most issues.

gil

Post by gil » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:47 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:19 pm
gil wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:25 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:32 pm
A guy had an interesting hypothetical on the drive home from the Cape today.

What if there was a genetic test for being gay or trans that could administered in the womb and Parents that didn't want a gay or trans child were aborting the ones that tested positive. I wonder if the libs would still passionately defend abortion. :o
If I listen to some of my conservative friends, being gay - or wanting to be trans - is a lifestyle choice. Nothing to worry about then. :?
I think people are born gay but what's up with the Q in LGBTQ. If you are born gay what is there to question.
You know, liberals like to include everyone, and some people like to be called "queer" hence the Q. But I also just looked it up and apparently the Q can also stand for "questioning." I guess I never knew.

I don't know what it's like for younger people, put for everyone I know who is "our age" and came out as gay, it was a traumatic, difficult process. I isn't like the letter G is printed on your birth certificate. And given the social norms around being "straight", I imagine anyone who wonders if they are gay or lesbian goes through a shitload of "questioning."

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:51 pm

gil wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:43 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:15 pm
gil wrote:

So you are being "consistently conservative" on the two issues, and I am being "constantly liberal." And Cheney is being vilified by Republicans for one and by Democrats for the other, because she isn't towing either party line.

Honestly I'm surprised and disappointed how so many Republicans completely embrace the idea that Cheney is through and through a bad legislator because of one stance she has taken. As if she has gone to the dark side on a range of issues. I'm also surprised and disappointed that (it appears) so many democrats are shocked by Cheney celebrating the downfall of Roe. As far as I know she has been rock solid conservative on this and most issues.
I am not Republican, not religious, pro gay marriage, ok with early term abortion, don't own a gun, not a big fan of huge money going to military like you are. There has been a recent outrage from the right about taking kids to drag shows and pride events. I think parents have the right to raise kids however they like even if it seems crazy.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:00 pm

Fox News is supposedly bias but this woman is on a lot. How many on the right that would say something this crazy does CNN employ.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:18 pm

Esteemed philosopher weighs in on the verdict.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:55 pm

So CBS is calling Pro life people Abortion Rights opponents and Pro Abortion people Pro Choice. The level of blatant bias is astounding.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:15 pm

Wow, nailed it perfectly.
dt

maoling

Post by maoling » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:16 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:04 pm
Lesbians worried about abortion rights. lmao

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sto ... verturned/
The statement went on to urge people to “vote like our lives depend on it. Because they do.”

This is probably the most duplicitous and ironic statement I'll read today.

The legal right to kill the unborn is the mechanism that will save their own lives. How truly hypocritical. It's a dem thing.

BTW, I support a women's right to choose in almost every circumstance in the earlier stages of pregnancy, for health reasons, for almost everything. I just think the Supreme Court has no business being involved with it, and it is a matter for states and Congress to decide. Then later the Supreme Court can rule on individual cases as a matter of law, not a blanket one-size-fits-all.

Jeezus, you have nuts out there saying full-term babies can be aborted, that's just crazy.