The Banality

Donn Beach

The Banality

Post by Donn Beach » Wed May 25, 2022 2:52 pm

of being a republican politician...

Darrell Issa tweet on the latest school mass shooting in Texas
.Our thoughts and prayers are with these families.
The ol' "thoughts and prayers" response

D-train

Re: The Banality

Post by D-train » Wed May 25, 2022 3:20 pm

About as helpful as thinking criminal insane lunatics that want to blow away little kids are going to obediently abide by new gun laws.
dt

douche

Post by douche » Wed May 25, 2022 4:14 pm

To overstate the obvious, there are a number of underlying problems that are leading to all of these shootings and other violent events. I can think of a few... people are frustrated (by a number of things), people are pissed off (about a number of things), many people have never been diagnosed as suicidal, violent, schizophrenic or otherwise. How many of these people grew up in broken homes full of violence? In addition, weapons are easily obtained.

It's a huge problem.

What's the solution? I don't think anyone knows.

"Thoughts and prayers" is simply a quick and kind way to avoid the real problem.

gil

Post by gil » Wed May 25, 2022 4:35 pm

A refrain from Bob Dylan comes to mind:

"You who philosophize disgrace
And criticize all fears
Take the rag away from your face
Now ain't the time for your tears."

maoling

Post by maoling » Wed May 25, 2022 4:45 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 3:20 pm
About as helpful as thinking criminal insane lunatics that want to blow away little kids are going to obediently abide by new gun laws.
Or that POS Joe Biden using a horrific moment for political purposes in his unsympathetic and shameless remarks last night.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed May 25, 2022 4:50 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:52 pm
of being a republican politician...

Darrell Issa tweet on the latest school mass shooting in Texas
.Our thoughts and prayers are with these families.
The ol' "thoughts and prayers" response
What else should be said?

Don't be douche Donn. Even you have to admit that gun laws only affect lawful citizens.

gil

Post by gil » Wed May 25, 2022 6:02 pm

I think there is a lot of rolling out the predictable positions from across the political spectrum. Here is Thom Tillis, Republic Senator from North Carolina:
Just like the Buffalo shooting, we have got to do a better job of anticipating and avoiding these, because if all you do is focus on controlling weapons, people like this will find other ways to harm people ... I'm happy to look at anything as long as it doesn't deny anybody rights for law abiding citizens. I've been there all along and I've been wanting to have those discussions, and will continue to.
https://rollcall.com/2022/05/24/biden-r ... -shooting/

and
It's horrible. And you know what we need to avoid is the reflexive reaction we have to say this could all be solved by not having guns in anyone's hands. We can always talk about reasonable measures, but we also have to talk about better situational awareness. I'm almost certain that in the coming days or weeks, we're going to find out that there were signs that this person was at risk, and we need to have an equal or greater attention on prevention and that's a key part of it
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/texas- ... f34f79d7bd

If there is a way to identify who is going to shoot up a classroom of kids, I'm all for it. Especially if you don't make gun buying and possession inconvenient for the rest of us. If you can do that, it should be easy to predict which prospects will actually be able to hit and not get hurt. If you can do that, it should be easy to know which reliever to call on in any given situation.

Apologies for the sarcasm, but I'm fucking sick of the banality and predictable reactions, whether it is against or for gun control. I'm very concerned and my heart goes out along with my thoughts and prayers. {steam coming out of ears and blood pressure going up}

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed May 25, 2022 7:05 pm

I'll take the banality of the right over the venality of the left.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed May 25, 2022 7:11 pm

What it all really comes back to is culture and the values passed on through it from generation to generation.

gil

Post by gil » Wed May 25, 2022 7:45 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:11 pm
What it all really comes back to is culture and the values passed on through it from generation to generation.
Not clear what you are saying, SH. I'm very big on cultures and values, by the way. But is there something here that is a way to identify who is "at risk" for committing murders, and doing something to prevent them? Does this suggest prevention strategies?