The Banality

Walla Walla Dawg II

Re: The Banality

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Sat May 28, 2022 6:15 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 4:49 pm
What are AR-15s for anyway. Regular rifles or shotguns aren't good enough for hunters these days?
Do you know what an AR actually is?

An AR-15 is just a 234 ( or NATO .556 round) that is only a semi-automatic rifle. Just because there is an option to have plastic inserts and mounting options does it make it "military" grade?

Having a flash suppressor on the barrel doesn't make it "military grade".
Having a quick attach scope mount doesn't make it "military grade".
Having high-capacity options doesn't make it "Military grade".
Having a bunch of picatinny rail doesn't make it "Military grade".

Do you know where the term "assault rifle" comes from? It came about in the 90's by a member of our press that didn't know what "AR" stood for. He assumed it means "Assault Rifle".....unfortunately it stuck.

You can actually hunt with AR style rifles. There are typically laws for hunting with an AR in regards to round capacity...but you can still hunt with them. I personally prefer my AR for hunting coyotes....but then again, an AR with the right ammo is deadly to 800 yards.

I personally know 5-6 farmers in our area that have an AR in their pickup 24/7. They prefer this rifle for, once again, shooting coyotes and other critters that damage their crops.

And there are so many different kinds of AR. There is the AR-10 that is a 308 caliber among others. In my collection of AR's I also have a rim-fire 22. Should this rim-fire AR also be outlawed? It can receive 100 round magazines, but then again so can my Ruger 1022.

I am amazed how many people don't understand this:
1. An AR is just a "sport utility" rifle that is a semi-automatic that can be modified to meet it's owners liking.
2. It ONLY SHOOTS ONE ROUND EVERY TIME THE TRIGGER IS PULLED.
3. If you modify the rifle to a fully automatic, YOU HAVE BROKEN THE LAW AND SHOULD BE ARRESTED.
4. An AR-15 is a 22 caliber rifle. Think about that.....a 22. Granted the bullets are longer than the rim-fire, but it's still a 22 caliber.

If you are all tuffed-up about the recent Texas shooting, I will start by saying it's a crying shame this happened. I feel for every child, brother, sister, parent, grand parent, friend of these people. Nobody really knows why this happened, it just seems like a dumb mother fucker with a gun that was angry at the world. HE was going to kill no matter what.

Can anyone tell me if Jimmy Kimmel cried over this one yet.

But to say it's the gun's fault is just absurd. An AR in that situation is so stupid it shows how much of an idiot this kid was. If you are in close combat, you would want a handgun, not a rifle, not two rifles, not 300+ rounds.

SH, this isn't meant to blast any beliefs you may have. I do apologize if you feel like I am preaching AT you. I am not.

This is my way of educating people to the facts.

Hell, my mother that has been around guns her entire life had to have me explain that an AR is just a semi-automatic rifle, not a machine gun like the media like to make people believe.

I'd love to go shoot with all on this board, for nothing more than to educate the masses on the guns that our politicians and media hate.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 28, 2022 6:20 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 3:22 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:34 pm
gil wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:04 pm

God I wish there were ***5*** future mass murderers. But there have been two of them this month. There has to be a middle ground between "taking away my guns" (which I don't support) and having some restrictions (including background checks and waiting periods) own people buying assault rifles (which I do support). I mean, the people in Texas said there were no "red flags" with that 18 year old in terms of psychological problems or past violence. I'll give you a "red flag": How about an 18 year olds buying assault rifles and hundreds of rounds of ammunition? I'd call that a red flag. (Just preparing for a pleasant day of hunting pheasant? ("Oh, just exercising my second amendment rights." Bullshit!)
Yes, I despise the slippery slope argument and also the absurd we need guns to defend ourselves from the US Government argument.
That was the intent of the 2nd Amendment by our Founding Fathers. It's all over the Jefferson Papers, The Adams Papers, etc...

I like to place myself in 1775 and imagine what they went through with the British.

The British came over and:
Took all the guns the colonists had.
Forced the colonists to house and feed them.
Took control of the narrative.
Wouldn't allow large assemblies.
Forced the colonists to feed them.
Played judge and jury.
Etc...

Just read the Bill of rights.....the British did all of these things to the colonists. And they wouldn't have been able to overthrow them without being similarly armed.
Yes, it made sense back then but today it is no longer relevant.
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Sun May 29, 2022 1:20 am

The founding fathers believed that a government should fear it's citizens....this is the intent of the 2nd Amendment.

If you say it isn't applicable now, it tells me that you believe that our government is so tyrannical that the fear of it's citizens has been gone for decades.
[which may be true]

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 29, 2022 11:21 am

Sun May 29, 2022 1:20 am
The founding fathers believed that a government should fear it's citizens....this is the intent of the 2nd Amendment.

If you say it isn't applicable now, it tells me that you believe that our government is so tyrannical that the fear of it's citizens has been gone for decades.
[which may be true]
I believe if the US government wants a civilian or civilians incarcerated or dead, they will eventually be incarcerated or dead despite how many weapons they have. Though having weapons may delay the inevitable a bit.

btw I just saw there are 10s of millions of semi automatic rifles in the US so obviously new gun laws making it illegal to buy one will change their availability on the black market.

Maybe the can have arms for illegal aliens deal. Return one of these rifles for ever illegal alien deported.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 29, 2022 1:17 pm

dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Sun May 29, 2022 2:12 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:21 am
Sun May 29, 2022 1:20 am

[which may be true]
I believe if the US government wants a civilian or civilians incarcerated or dead, they will eventually be incarcerated or dead despite how many weapons they have. Though having weapons may delay the inevitable a bit.

btw I just saw there are 10s of millions of semi automatic rifles in the US so obviously new gun laws making it illegal to buy one will change their availability on the black market.

Maybe the can have arms for illegal aliens deal. Return one of these rifles for ever illegal alien deported.
You are not wrong. But I prefer to TRY to uphold the intent of the 2nd Amendment.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun May 29, 2022 2:55 pm

After 70 years of Hollywood making guns and gun violence cool, it's hard to imagine they won't always be a part of the culture, and good luck trying to regulate them in the gangsta lands of Chicago and LA.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 29, 2022 3:05 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 2:55 pm
After 70 years of Hollywood making guns and gun violence cool, it's hard to imagine they won't always be a part of the culture, and good luck trying to regulate them in the gangsta lands of Chicago and LA.
And video games.
dt

douche

Post by douche » Sun May 29, 2022 10:50 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:52 pm
of being a republican politician...

Darrell Issa tweet on the latest school mass shooting in Texas
.Our thoughts and prayers are with these families.
The ol' "thoughts and prayers" response
284557178_10227325153299725_3683087619205110516_n.jpg
284557178_10227325153299725_3683087619205110516_n.jpg (47.66 KiB) Viewed 890 times

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon May 30, 2022 9:08 pm

So I have been wondering about this. The room was impenetrable by a team of police because it was locked. But the Gunmen just marched in because they neglected to lock it? Is that the solution? Lock the fucking doors that already have locks on them? Can not make this shit up.
dt