Biden's solutions for the country

Walla Walla Dawg II

Biden's solutions for the country

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:37 pm

So, the subject line is quite obvious....

His solution to the high cost of gasoline is to ask congress to give a "gas tax holiday" to the American public.

What this would mean is that the 24.6 cents a gallon the feds collect as a gasoline tax, they would not collet for 3 months.

Let's break it down.....

If your average weekly fill-up is 10 gallons, you would save $2.50 a week.
That would be roughly $10 a month.....
And
$30 for the entire period that the feds remove the tax.

I say, keep your fucking $30 and open up the pipelines.
Supply and demand mother-fucker.
Drill, Drill, Drill!!!

Get enough supply that gas will go back down to where it was when TRUMP WAS IN CHARGE.
[I still don't care for Trump, but he did a hell of a lot better than the shit-bag we current have]

Sorry for the harsh language, but I am tired of all this crap.

D-train

Re: Biden's solutions for the country

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:57 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:37 pm
So, the subject line is quite obvious....

His solution to the high cost of gasoline is to ask congress to give a "gas tax holiday" to the American public.

What this would mean is that the 24.6 cents a gallon the feds collect as a gasoline tax, they would not collet for 3 months.

Let's break it down.....

If your average weekly fill-up is 10 gallons, you would save $2.50 a week.
That would be roughly $10 a month.....
And
$30 for the entire period that the feds remove the tax.

I say, keep your fucking $30 and open up the pipelines.
Supply and demand mother-fucker.
Drill, Drill, Drill!!!

Get enough supply that gas will go back down to where it was when TRUMP WAS IN CHARGE.
[I still don't care for Trump, but he did a hell of a lot better than the shit-bag we current have]

Sorry for the harsh language, but I am tired of all this crap.
For comparison, I calculated that the average 401k which was $129k at the start of the year is down about $25k.
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:03 pm

"The Swamp" giving the common people scraps from the table again.

$30 in 3 months time isn't going make anyone's life any better.

gil

Post by gil » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:14 pm

If it was as simple as "opening up the pipelines", don't you think that a self-interested politician would do that? As you said, the federal gas tax is peanuts.

"The pipeline" (Keystone) wasn't build doing Trump's administration, after he gave it the go-ahead.

We are just seeing market capitalism, in my opinion. I don't like this aspect of it, but that is pretty much what it is.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:22 pm

gil wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:14 pm
If it was as simple as "opening up the pipelines", don't you think that a self-interested politician would do that? As you said, the federal gas tax is peanuts.

"The pipeline" (Keystone) wasn't build doing Trump's administration, after he gave it the go-ahead.

We are just seeing market capitalism, in my opinion. I don't like this aspect of it, but that is pretty much what it is.
No.

The first flurry of Executive Orders, Biden shut down drilling, stopped all permitting for drilling, and all pipelines. He caused this entire shitstorm at the pump.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/20 ... 8a45fc4ef4

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:03 pm

gil wrote:

In order for gas priceds to double, either supply has to fall by 50% or demand has to double or some combination of both. Demand may have increased some as the Covid Chicken littles decided they could go grocery shopping again but vast majority of it is a contraction of supply and while some can be attributed to Putin, there is a gaping hole in the explanation and the answer is tattooed on Biden's forehead.
dt

gil

Post by gil » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:03 pm

Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:22 pm
gil wrote:

No.

The first flurry of Executive Orders, Biden shut down drilling, stopped all permitting for drilling, and all pipelines. He caused this entire shitstorm at the pump.

There is no doubt that Biden pulled the permit on keystone. But if it was such a good idea, why hadn't it been further along when Trump was president?

Also, note that the final sentence from the article you cited is:
For those who are worried about your gasoline prices going up, this is definitely not the reason.

gil

Post by gil » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:11 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:03 pm
gil wrote:

In order for gas priceds to double, either supply has to fall by 50% or demand has to double or some combination of both. Demand may have increased some as the Covid Chicken littles decided they could go grocery shopping again but vast majority of it is a contraction of supply and while some can be attributed to Putin, there is a gaping hole in the explanation and the answer is tattooed on Biden's forehead.
Disagree on two accounts. #1, you are ignoring price elasticity of demand. (It's not as simple as 50% change in supply or demand leading to a doubling of price. Demand for gas is quite inelastic in the short term.) #2, the contraction of supply was the strategy the oil companies followed when the pandemic hit and demand plummeted. Same thing the airlines did.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:25 pm

gil wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:11 pm
D-train wrote:
gil wrote:

Disagree on two accounts. #1, you are ignoring price elasticity of demand. (It's not as simple as 50% change in supply or demand leading to a doubling of price. Demand for gas is quite inelastic in the short term.) #2, the contraction of supply was the strategy the oil companies followed when the pandemic hit and demand plummeted. Same thing the airlines did.
Demand for fuel is inelastic which massively exacerbated the jump in gas prices, but if supply didn't decline then prices would have never gone up. It would have been very easy to ramp supply up to pre Covid levels if there were not the self imposed restriction on supply.
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:43 pm

gil wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:22 pm
gil wrote:

No.

There is no doubt that Biden pulled the permit on keystone. But if it was such a good idea, why hadn't it been further along when Trump was president?

Also, note that the final sentence from the article you cited is:
For those who are worried about your gasoline prices going up, this is definitely not the reason.
Yeah, not sure I believe that.

When the entire article is about what he has done to halt the production of oil in this country.....MAKING SUPPLY HARDER TO COME BY, then ending with, but this isn't the reason. We need to use some common sense.