UK PM Johnson Resigns

auroraave

UK PM Johnson Resigns

Post by auroraave » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:09 pm

Dude's admin was plagued with scandals - tons of party members resigned in protest to force him out - he finally got the memo and stepped down. Wow. This is a big deal. Balance of power shift - the people were pissed off at his scandalous and corrupt 'leadership" - action taken, he goes down.

Wouldn't it be nice if that happened here?

By the way, who, outside of Russia, names a kid "Boris?"

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/07/11102267 ... inister-uk

D-train

Re: UK PM Johnson Resigns

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:12 pm

auroraave wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:09 pm
Dude's admin was plagued with scandals - tons of party members resigned in protest to force him out - he finally got the memo and stepped down. Wow. This is a big deal. Balance of power shift - the people were pissed off at his scandalous and corrupt 'leadership" - action taken, he goes down.

Boris the Spider's Mom? :)
dt

mostonmike

Post by mostonmike » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:35 pm

His first name is actually Alexander, think he chose to use one of his middle names when he went to Uni because, to put it simply he's a bit of a dick.

Its a great political system over here on the whole. Usually these days the parties do the dirty work and get rid of their leader when they think he/she will cost them their own constituency seat. Saves us the hassle. Thatcher and May were both victims of their own party. Even Blair was put under pressure by the Labour Party to name a date to hand over power to Brown.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:48 pm

mostonmike wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:35 pm
His first name is actually Alexander, think he chose to use one of his middle names when he went to Uni because, to put it simply he's a bit of a dick.

Its a great political system over here on the whole. Usually these days the parties do the dirty work and get rid of their leader when they think he/she will cost them their own constituency seat. Saves us the hassle. Thatcher and May were both victims of their own party. Even Blair was put under pressure by the Labour Party to name a date to hand over power to Brown.
Hey when was the switch from a true Monarchy from with a King or Queen leading the country to the current form of government with a prime minister and elected officials? I couldn't find it for some reason when I searched for it. Thanks!
dt

mostonmike

Post by mostonmike » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:48 pm

Great question. Not totally sure.

The Magna Carta goes back to 1215, that doesn't mean this afternoon :lol: I think it was introduced to stop the King being overthrown and giving some kind of representation to the people. Also pretty sure that was the start of parliaments and the like so I'd go with that as the best answer. We never refer to the Magna Carta as you would with the Declaration of Independence but it is probably as important.

The Prime Minister as the job is now wasn't specifically defined around that time, it evolved into that through a series of earlier titles like Lord High Treasurer then "First Lord of the Treasury" which is weirdly is still one of the titles that the PM holds.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:45 pm

mostonmike wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:48 pm
Great question. Not totally sure.

The Magna Carta goes back to 1215, that doesn't mean this afternoon :lol: I think it was introduced to stop the King being overthrown and giving some kind of representation to the people. Also pretty sure that was the start of parliaments and the like so I'd go with that as the best answer. We never refer to the Magna Carta as you would with the Declaration of Independence but it is probably as important.

The Prime Minister as the job is now wasn't specifically defined around that time, it evolved into that through a series of earlier titles like Lord High Treasurer then "First Lord of the Treasury" which is weirdly is still one of the titles that the PM holds.
Yeah that's what I found. I thought it would be clear cut as opposed to being nebulous. And I have read that you STILL have a Queen and a few Princes?? :lol:
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:46 pm

I predict Prince Charles becomes King on the same date the M's win the WS. Oct 31st 2037. :)
dt

mostonmike

Post by mostonmike » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:19 am

D-train wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:46 pm
I predict Prince Charles becomes King on the same date the M's win the WS. Oct 31st 2037. :)
Well I've booked it off work just in case. :lol:

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:28 am

mostonmike wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:19 am
D-train wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:46 pm
Well I've booked it off work just in case. :lol:
Thanks for taking a moment to chat with us about your country's system of government. I have done this in person a few times with people from all over the globe. I think it is interesting looking at the politics of say Ukraine from an academic standpoint like a John Mearsheimer perspective and then talk about the situation from a few Ukrainian friends and coworkers. There is a phrase that comes to mind "Hearing it from the horse's mouth" that I think is apt for the occasion.

douche

Post by douche » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:06 pm

auroraave wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:09 pm

Wouldn't it be nice of both Biden and Trudeau were to do the same thing? Utterly pathetic.