UK PM Johnson Resigns

ddraig

Re: UK PM Johnson Resigns

Post by ddraig » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:15 pm

Found this in answer to your question about a strong monarchy and a strong parliament.

"It took a long time, but the single most important event was the Glorious Revolution of 1688, when Parliament threw out James II and invited his daughter Mary and her husband William to become joint co-rulers. In order to seal the deal, William had to sign away a lot of the traditional rights of kings to the Parliament, and guarantee the people's rights. Among these was an important law called the Bill of Rights."

Then there is this that helps to explain.

"English" & "British" Kings have almost never been "all powerful". There has almost always been a council of some sort that could (pardon the pun) reign in the King to some degree or another. Some of these councils were more powerful than others, and some were mere rubber stamps giving the impression of an all powerful King.

Even in the ancient Kingdoms (Essex, Sussex ETC) had Kings that were (pardon the pun again) "subject" to the opinions of their "nobles". Again, some of these Kings were more effective than others.

As time wore on, those Councils became more and more formalized in to the Privy Council and Parliament we know today.

What MOST people think of as a "King" of a country was far more common on the Continent than it ever was on in the British Islands."

All I did was a search on this: When did the British parliament become more powerful than the King?

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:14 pm

ddraig wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:15 pm
Found this in answer to your question about a strong monarchy and a strong parliament.

"It took a long time, but the single most important event was the Glorious Revolution of 1688, when Parliament threw out James II and invited his daughter Mary and her husband William to become joint co-rulers. In order to seal the deal, William had to sign away a lot of the traditional rights of kings to the Parliament, and guarantee the people's rights. Among these was an important law called the Bill of Rights."

Then there is this that helps to explain.

"English" & "British" Kings have almost never been "all powerful". There has almost always been a council of some sort that could (pardon the pun) reign in the King to some degree or another. Some of these councils were more powerful than others, and some were mere rubber stamps giving the impression of an all powerful King.

Even in the ancient Kingdoms (Essex, Sussex ETC) had Kings that were (pardon the pun again) "subject" to the opinions of their "nobles". Again, some of these Kings were more effective than others.

As time wore on, those Councils became more and more formalized in to the Privy Council and Parliament we know today.

What MOST people think of as a "King" of a country was far more common on the Continent than it ever was on in the British Islands."

All I did was a search on this: When did the British parliament become more powerful than the King?
Fascinating. I was sure King George was calling all the shots during the Revolutionary War.
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:11 pm

I have a lot of fun looking up obscure historical facts. That's why studies like "The 1619 Project" drive me nuts. That "Project" is so full of falsehoods and holes that I find it difficult to believe anybody would give it a second glance. I tell my kids in class that the Scientific Method is useful in many subjects. It can be used in History as well. Many people say that History is written by the victors, but if you take into account the loser's point of view as well, you come up with a true picture. What one must remember is that textbooks for children through High School are simplistic. They have to be because you don't have the time to cover the entire book anyway.

Most teachers of U.S. History don't even get as far as WW I. Anything after 1880 should be covered in a separate year. That would allow for more time to study the U.S. Constitution. Kids today, and many adults, have a distorted view of it. There are some fascinating stories behind how the Founders ended up with creating the Constitution and what a brilliant document it is! At least then we wouldn't have idiots shouting how the Federal Government should be involved with health issues like abortion. The Constitution, in the 10th Amendment, states directly that anything not covered in the Constitution should be left to the States and the people. That's just one of the prohibitions placed on government. As I said, a brilliant document to secure our freedoms. Would that our governments would peruse the Constitution occasionally.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:53 am

The year 1649 is probably the turning point where governing power shifted irrevocably to the English Parliament.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_I_of_England

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:37 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:53 am
The year 1649 is probably the turning point where governing power shifted irrevocably to the English Parliament.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_I_of_England
Man that is stunning to me. So they were well over 100 years ahead of us. If I would have guessed, I would have went with sometime between the Civil WAR Era and the end of the Victorian age.
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:06 pm

At that time, The House of Lords was the power behind the throne. The House of Commons gradually became more important over time. The Lords were still pulling the strings in the late 1700's.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:49 pm

Between Johnson getting forced out, the huge protests in the netherlands, the fall of Sri Lanka's government, the plummetting ratings of Trudeau, and the US's current administration polling at an all time low - people around the globe are pissed off. As governments try to take more and more power (and money) from the people - there seems to be a sincere uprising growing - globally. The corruption in the US is beyond anything I could have imagined - and the gov forcing the media to enforce their narratives to retain power - while the masses are figuring it out and revolting - there has to be a breaking point.

mostonmike

Liz Truss - new UK PM

Post by mostonmike » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:12 pm

UK Update!

So "Boris" resigned in July and it takes two months for his party to appoint his successor, Liz Truss. Bit unusual as its normally faster and more brutal than that. I think its because Parliament doesn't bother working across summer that it took so long.

I understand that with Truss joining Trudeau and Macron we now have 3 Gen-X leaders in the G7. I think she will stay mostly anonymous on the world stage to fit the stereotype of the Gen X'ers.

HM The Queen must be in really bad health as she stayed in Scotland to do the ancient handing over of power this afternoon. She would normally have had to travel down to London for the handover takes place at Buckingham Palace. But she is withdrawing gradually from all the ceremonial stuff that she's done so gloriously for 70 years. This will probably be her last Prime Minister sadly, but she's worked with 15 going back to Churchill. Quite a phenomenal service to the country.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:23 pm

dt

mostonmike

Re: UK PM Truss Resigns

Post by mostonmike » Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:27 pm

Wow. Crazy in the UK. We are heading for our third PM this year.

Elizabeth Truss resigns after just 44 days.

The funniest story is a tabloid newspaper put up a live stream asking if Truss would still be Prime Minister within the 10 day shelf-life of a lettuce?

The Lettuce won.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm-RE95 ... =DailyStar