Interesting comments.

ddraig

Interesting comments.

Post by ddraig » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:17 pm

So, living in the beautiful state of Washington all my life, which is rapidly becoming a hell hole (I've actually discouraged friends from visiting Seattle), I've started looking for places to retire. Wish I would have sold my home six months ago (the value has dropped $50K), but hey, I've never been THAT lucky in my entire life. Any way, I mentioned I've been looking around for places to retire and got a few recommendations. Right now, Coeur D'Alene and Boise are front runners. I'm staying away from the three West Coast States. Just thought I'd float this out there and see what you folks would recommend. This could become a lively discussion of pros and cons.

D-train

Re: Interesting comments.

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:25 pm

This is perfect.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:26 pm

ddraig wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:17 pm
So, living in the beautiful state of Washington all my life, which is rapidly becoming a hell hole (I've actually discouraged friends from visiting Seattle), I've started looking for places to retire. Wish I would have sold my home six months ago (the value has dropped $50K), but hey, I've never been THAT lucky in my entire life. Any way, I mentioned I've been looking around for places to retire and got a few recommendations. Right now, Coeur D'Alene and Boise are front runners. I'm staying away from the three West Coast States. Just thought I'd float this out there and see what you folks would recommend. This could become a lively discussion of pros and cons.
I will be retiring within 5 years. Down to Eastern WA, ID, MT, Northern AZ or Utah.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:27 pm

Unbelievably I have been to about 40 states but never UT.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:54 am

Need to find somewhere where our human flesh won't get cooked. These people are lunatics.
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:11 pm

ddraig wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:17 pm
I've lived in WA my entire life, but also have a place in AZ that we purchased in 2013. The things that I can tell you about the other states out west are:
WA - Gone batshit crazy with policies to match CA.

OR - Rinse & repeat, the same as WA.

CA - No need to discuss The Peoples Republic of California. Every week they come up with something else to make the entire Unites States of America shake their heads.

ID - Good state, but all the people from CA leaving the Peoples Republic have changed it. I wouldn't guarantee that Boise is the same place in 10 years. As for Northern Idaho, they have their places, but similar to eastern Washington is a slave to the vote in King County, policy in Idaho is slave to how Boise votes.

AZ - This is my planned retirement destination, but you need two places. One place in the Phoenix area for the winter, then one place in northern Arizona for the summer. It's amazing that the valley can be so damned hot in the summer (forecast is for 114 today), but a mear 1.5 hours to the north it's 80 degrees. Lower taxes than WA, OR & CA, but you better golf.

UT - I have to admit that I don't know much about the Utah area, but it's a very conservative state throughout.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:13 pm

I did some weather research on AZ and it seems there are places between the North and the south that only get up to the 90s in the summer but the 50s in the winter?
dt

gil

Post by gil » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:32 pm

Yes, the mountainous areas near Phoenix and Tucson have much milder climates. Prescott is a hidden gem climate-wise.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:12 pm

gil wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:32 pm
Yes, the mountainous areas near Phoenix and Tucson have much milder climates. Prescott is a hidden gem climate-wise.
It certainly is!!

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:44 pm

gil wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:32 pm
Yeah I was thinking of Prescott or smaller communities roughly the same latitude.
dt