Interesting comments.

Coeurd’Alene J

Re: Interesting comments.

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:50 pm

gil wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:32 pm
Yes, the mountainous areas near Phoenix and Tucson have much milder climates. Prescott is a hidden gem climate-wise.
My next door neighbor and long time friend just sold his horse arena and moved to the mountains north of Phoenix it’s still to hot for me but I will be visiting in the winter. Hard to beat North Idaho if you enjoy outdoor activities. Hunting fishing, snow skiing jetskies, snowmobiles. Lots of open places. If your a fisherman only than I would move to the tricities Kennewick or Richland tons of great fishing

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:05 am

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:50 pm
gil wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:32 pm
Yes, the mountainous areas near Phoenix and Tucson have much milder climates. Prescott is a hidden gem climate-wise.
My next door neighbor and long time friend just sold his horse arena and moved to the mountains north of Phoenix it’s still to hot for me but I will be visiting in the winter. Hard to beat North Idaho if you enjoy outdoor activities. Hunting fishing, snow skiing jetskies, snowmobiles. Lots of open places. If your a fisherman only than I would move to the tricities Kennewick or Richland tons of great fishing
Do you think you are in your forever home or are you going to move one final time?
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:28 pm

We have friends down the street that we've known for over 20 years. Their daughter played on the same soccer team as our daughter. They are more conservative than we are. They are moving to The Villages in Florida soon. Already purchased a home there. Wife says "no Florida," but I still check out places south of Tampa, Port Charlotte and Fort Meyers to be specific. Then too, I'm in to auto racing, so the Sebring area is kind of inviting. Talked to my brother and he says two words, "Snakes, alligators!" Alligators I can handle, but the wiggly snakes kinda give me pause. Two years ago, we could have sold our home here and purchased a larger home in Florida with a pool at roughly half the price. So a condo here in Washington and a home in Florida was doable.

Charleston, S.C., and Savannah, GA are both possibilities. Not thrilled with Texas. New Mexico or Arizona are possibilities. So it sounds like those who are nearing retirement have similar priorities that we do. Keep the ideas coming, folks!

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:33 pm

ddraig wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:28 pm
We have friends down the street that we've known for over 20 years. Their daughter played on the same soccer team as our daughter. They are more conservative than we are. They are moving to The Villages in Florida soon. Already purchased a home there. Wife says "no Florida," but I still check out places south of Tampa, Port Charlotte and Fort Meyers to be specific. Then too, I'm in to auto racing, so the Sebring area is kind of inviting. Talked to my brother and he says two words, "Snakes, alligators!" Alligators I can handle, but the wiggly snakes kinda give me pause. Two years ago, we could have sold our home here and purchased a larger home in Florida with a pool at roughly half the price. So a condo here in Washington and a home in Florida was doable.

Charleston, S.C., and Savannah, GA are both possibilities. Not thrilled with Texas. New Mexico or Arizona are possibilities. So it sounds like those who are nearing retirement have similar priorities that we do. Keep the ideas coming, folks!
I would rather sleep with snakes an alligator than live in a climate that humid. It is more humid here than the West Coast but not bad at all and only in July and August not almost all year round like some of the Southern states you mentioned.
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:40 pm

Be careful with New Mexico, they are pretty blue.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:46 pm

Both comments well noted. I knew about New Mexico and all the artsy-fartsy people who live there. And as I said, or at least implied, Florida would only be a destination for half the year. Then a condo here in Washington for the summer months. But that condo may be the permanent alternative anyway, depending on where we decide to put down out tent stakes.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:51 pm

ddraig wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:46 pm
Both comments well noted. I knew about New Mexico and all the artsy-fartsy people who live there. And as I said, or at least implied, Florida would only be a destination for half the year. Then a condo here in Washington for the summer months. But that condo may be the permanent alternative anyway, depending on where we decide to put down out tent stakes.
Here's something that may help.....

We own a 1,200 square foot condo in Peoria. The property tax every year is under $1,000.

What's your property tax where you're living?

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:01 pm

Last I looked, it was over $4000, and it's going up again this year. I hope they use our current value, not likely, instead of last year's value.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:51 pm

WE also have some friends in Peoria. They have a triple wide in a nice retirement community and they pay $400 each half for property tax.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:34 am

D-train wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:26 pm
ddraig wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:17 pm
So, living in the beautiful state of Washington all my life, which is rapidly becoming a hell hole (I've actually discouraged friends from visiting Seattle), I've started looking for places to retire. Wish I would have sold my home six months ago (the value has dropped $50K), but hey, I've never been THAT lucky in my entire life. Any way, I mentioned I've been looking around for places to retire and got a few recommendations. Right now, Coeur D'Alene and Boise are front runners. I'm staying away from the three West Coast States. Just thought I'd float this out there and see what you folks would recommend. This could become a lively discussion of pros and cons.
I will be retiring within 5 years. Down to Eastern WA, ID, MT, Northern AZ or Utah.
Those are some pretty good destinations.

Will it be a working retirement?