"FBI" raids President Trump's Home in Florida

GL_Storm

Re: "FBI" raids President Trump's Home in Florida

Post by GL_Storm » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:49 pm

It's been reported now that top secret documents were found. Why would Trump have these documents in his possession and unsecured?

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:57 pm

gil wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:04 pm
Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:10 pm
I'd like to know the back history on the judge that signed that warrant.
-Appointed by Clinton or Obama most likely.
Speculation is that something like this (asking for the warrant in the first place) would have to be approved at the top of the justice department, i.e., Merrick Garland.

For my money, it is terrible - absolutely terrible - timing if you are a Democrat. They are on the threshold of a big legislative victory, which is following on a couple of others. Republicans are nominating a lot of fringe characters who are going to be good targets in November. Democrats need to keep focusing on these things, rather than talking about Trump. This leads me to believe that it is not something that was orchestrated for political purposes.
In the event you've been asleep, gil, for the last six years, this warrant was issued for the EXACT same thing that Hillary did with her server yet with far less evidence. And you don't think this was politically motivated? And how do you explain that much of what the FBI stole was attorney/client privileged. I suppose you think if there is nothing to hide we should be OK with this?

I also think it's cute that you think the Dims "are on the threshold of a big legislative victory, which is following on a couple of others." Everything they propose will only make the economy worse. I think it's best you go back to sleep.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:03 am

ddraig wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:57 pm
gil wrote:
Speculation is that something like this (asking for the warrant in the first place) would have to be approved at the top of the justice department, i.e., Merrick Garland.

For my money, it is terrible - absolutely terrible - timing if you are a Democrat. They are on the threshold of a big legislative victory, which is following on a couple of others. Republicans are nominating a lot of fringe characters who are going to be good targets in November. Democrats need to keep focusing on these things, rather than talking about Trump. This leads me to believe that it is not something that was orchestrated for political purposes.
In the event you've been asleep, gil, for the last six years, this warrant was issued for the EXACT same thing that Hillary did with her server yet with far less evidence. And you don't think this was politically motivated? And how do you explain that much of what the FBI stole was attorney/client privileged. I suppose you think if there is nothing to hide we should be OK with this?

I also think it's cute that you think the Dims "are on the threshold of a big legislative victory, which is following on a couple of others." Everything they propose will only make the economy worse. I think it's best you go back to sleep.
Honestly, this isn't even coherent. Are you saying that investigators should have let this one go because Hillary did the same thing? Do you understand that these are two separate investigations? Yes, it was beyond outrageous for Hillary to have her own email server. It's just absolute insanity that she did that and that there wasn't some sort of safeguard in place to keep that sort of thing from happening. But that doesn't have anything to do with this investigation now, in the present day, of classified documents that Trump seems to have deliberately kept in his possession despite repeated attempts by the government to secure them.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:09 pm

The point is that the FBI and DOJ have become an arm of the DNC and we no longer have a "justice" system that is impartial. The charges against Hillary are nearly identical to those against Trump. All the FBI did was make Trump into a martyr. If they don't release the info they are charging Trump with, then people are really gonna be pissed. Oh, and by the way, the FBI confiscated much in the way of attorney/client privileged documents. I'm guessing most of that info will be "leaked" to the MSM.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:11 pm

ddraig wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:09 pm
The point is that the FBI and DOJ have become an arm of the DNC and we no longer have a "justice" system that is impartial. The charges against Hillary are nearly identical to those against Trump. All the FBI did was make Trump into a martyr. If they don't release the info they are charging Trump with, then people are really gonna be pissed. Oh, and by the way, the FBI confiscated much in the way of attorney/client privileged documents. I'm guessing most of that info will be "leaked" to the MSM.
1) No, the FBI and DOJ are not part of the DNC.
2) Trump hasn't been charged yet
3) If he is charged, it will be made public, because that's how it works in this country
4) I've seen no reporting about attorney/client privileged documents, but maybe that's the case
5) Regarding the point above, if the documents you're talking about were memos between the White House Counsel and the President, those are NOT privileged, though they could very well be classified

I agree that there does appear to be a double standard at work, i.e. Hillary got off easy but now they're going after Trump. But it's also possible that when prosecutors looked at the evidence in the Hillary case, they couldn't figure out how to make the charges stick in a way that would convince a jury. And that decision not to charge her was later upheld by the Justice Department Inspector General. And keep in mind as well that the Trump DOJ could have opened that case again, but declined to do so.

I know you really want to feel outraged, but at least consider the possibility that career officials are simply doing their jobs and following the trail of evidence where it leads, which in this case was Mar-a-Lago and an apparent stash of classified documents. The question to ask is why did Trump have those documents?

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:25 pm

Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:50 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:24 pm
I think the raid was almost certainly an action of last resort. For those of you thinking that this was just another attack on Trump to make him look bad, consider how bad it makes the Democrats look. If you're the Democrats going into a highly contested mid-term election, the last thing you want to do is rile up the MAGA base, which is exactly what this raid has done. The only possible reason this makes sense is if your career officials (national archives, Justice dept, FBI, etc.) are convinced that there is an urgent need to secure these documents that they believe to be in Trump's residence. And from what I've read so far, it sounds like they were vindicated.

But vindicated or not, it's still a terrible look if you are a Democratic politician. It still looks like harassment of the political opposition, which is something we don't do in this country. And so I believe that yes, the raid was almost certainly justified and was the right course of action to take. If Trump is angry about it, he can just look in the mirror for who to blame.
If it was so URGENT, why sit on the warrant for 3 days before doing it?
It’s an attack against the next election. They have to take Trump out in order to continue the changes Obama set in motion and they could care less how it looks…if they cared they wouldn’t have done it. Trump declassified the documents way to fuck up our democracy democrats you bunch of sally losers hitch up your panties and take it like a good communist. Your gonna lose big in November and you managed to piss off just about every independent voter not attached to Liz Cheney’s butt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:17 pm

dt

gil

Post by gil » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:02 pm

So Dershowitz is saying that all those Democrats holding rallies chanting "Lock Him Up! Lock Him Up!" are misguided? :D

I say again that I think the Democrats stand the best chance of winning the presidency in 2024 if Trump is the GOP nominee.

I also think the Republican are in the process of blowing their chances for a historic blowout in this year's elections. If the GOP would just stick to inflation, border security, crime, Afghanistan -- winning issues -- instead of running candidates who fall in with Trump about the 2020 election, they'd take both the Senate and the House. Easy. I read that the GOP senate reelection committee is pulling money from Wisconsin and Arizona because their candidates are doing so badly there. Perfectly winnable states that they could lose because of running Trump acolytes. If the Dems hold onto the Senate, it will be because of far right GOP candidates, instead of more moderate ones, in AZ, WI, PA, GA.

gil

Post by gil » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:06 pm

ddraig wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:57 pm
gil wrote:

I don't like what Hillary did one bit, but as far as the current situation, I don't much go for "what about the other guy?" arguments. Hillary has been out of the State Department since, when? 2013? If there was a crime, it should have prosecuted long ago. Meantime, we have the current situation, and I'm not going to jump to too many conclusions.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:07 pm

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:25 pm
Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:50 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:24 pm
I think the raid was almost certainly an action of last resort. For those of you thinking that this was just another attack on Trump to make him look bad, consider how bad it makes the Democrats look. If you're the Democrats going into a highly contested mid-term election, the last thing you want to do is rile up the MAGA base, which is exactly what this raid has done. The only possible reason this makes sense is if your career officials (national archives, Justice dept, FBI, etc.) are convinced that there is an urgent need to secure these documents that they believe to be in Trump's residence. And from what I've read so far, it sounds like they were vindicated.

But vindicated or not, it's still a terrible look if you are a Democratic politician. It still looks like harassment of the political opposition, which is something we don't do in this country. And so I believe that yes, the raid was almost certainly justified and was the right course of action to take. If Trump is angry about it, he can just look in the mirror for who to blame.
If it was so URGENT, why sit on the warrant for 3 days before doing it?
It’s an attack against the next election. They have to take Trump out in order to continue the changes Obama set in motion and they could care less how it looks…if they cared they wouldn’t have done it. Trump declassified the documents way to fuck up our democracy democrats you bunch of sally losers hitch up your panties and take it like a good communist. Your gonna lose big in November and you managed to piss off just about every independent voter not attached to Liz Cheney’s butt
What were the changes that Obama set in motion that the heroic Trump, champion of the working man, was and is trying so hard to stop? Obamacare? And no, Trump didn't actually declassify those documents. If he did there would be a record of it, which there is not. Presidents aren't emperors that can just declare anything taken to the White House residence automatically declassified.