This could make an impact in 2024

ddraig

This could make an impact in 2024

Post by ddraig » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:01 pm

With the FBI raid on Mar-a-Lago earlier this week there could be some interesting developments down the road. But first, some context. The DOJ did absolutely nothing after it was found that Hillary Clinton had in her possession documents that she should have, by law, turned over to the government after she left the State Department. The same law is now being used against former President Trump, unlawfully not turning over documents after he left office. Whether or not they found any documents is up for debate but it certainly LOOKS like selective prosecution against a potential 2024 candidate.

Now why should this cause a kerfluffle? Seems there is an interesting section in the Constitution about anyone who is under Federal Indictment of a felony being unable to run for President. I believe this is where we are headed and if the "investigation" runs for roughly a year and then an indictment handed down say in June, 2024, there would be no time for Trump to have the charge vacated before any election let alone a nomination.

gil

Re: This could make an impact in 2024

Post by gil » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:49 pm

ddraig wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:01 pm
With the FBI raid on Mar-a-Lago earlier this week there could be some interesting developments down the road. But first, some context. The DOJ did absolutely nothing after it was found that Hillary Clinton had in her possession documents that she should have, by law, turned over to the government after she left the State Department. The same law is now being used against former President Trump, unlawfully not turning over documents after he left office. Whether or not they found any documents is up for debate but it certainly LOOKS like selective prosecution against a potential 2024 candidate.

Now why should this cause a kerfluffle? Seems there is an interesting section in the Constitution about anyone who is under Federal Indictment of a felony being unable to run for President. I believe this is where we are headed and if the "investigation" runs for roughly a year and then an indictment handed down say in June, 2024, there would be no time for Trump to have the charge vacated before any election let alone a nomination.
Are you sure about this ("there is an interesting section in the Constitution about anyone who is under Federal Indictment of a felony being unable to run for President"). I can't find reference to it. I've found several sites that say a convicted felon can run and be elected. If that is true, I can imagine that someone under indictment could also run and be elected.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:33 pm

From what I have read, a criminal (from prison) can run for President.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... rison.html

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:08 pm

Well, according to a couple of Constitutional Scholars I have heard on two different radio shows, they both said if Trump was under indictment, he could not run. I knew about being able to run if you were in prison, but if these two people are correct, imagine how that could change the 2024 elections AND how making the DOJ, FBI, CIA, and IRS political could severely limit who runs for President on the Republican side.

One of the radio programs was on about 8:00 in the AM and the other was around 4:30. One was a woman, the other a man. I don't remember which stations or their names as I was driving at the time. Take it as hearsay, if you wish. I have no way of corroborating what they said. I just thought, if true, it could most definitely cause problems going forward for anyone wanting to clean out the swamp.

douche

Post by douche » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:13 pm

Does any of it really matter? It's the old saying... if they want to get rid of you bad enough, they'll find a way.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:18 am

Start at the 4 minute mark.
Turley says that it won't disqualify him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLfPjtqIulQ

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:09 am

I wonder if being under indictment could be a problem getting on the ballot in every state. There could be some states with laws like that which have never been legally tested. So even if unconstitutional, could be problematic.

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:00 am

Useful idiots sounds about right for these libs.

"Orange man bad!"

"Why?"

"Uhh... I'm done talking now.."

Lol, idiots.

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:01 am