Another Very Bad Idea

GL_Storm

Another Very Bad Idea

Post by GL_Storm » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:41 am

https://apnews.com/article/california-m ... aef2d2b7ba

You know, working in fast food really sucks. It does. It sucks. It really sucks. I did it in High School and I'm thankful I've never had to do it again. But the government setting wages like this, for the entire fast food industry in California, is really a terrible idea. Welcome to the world of the $12.00 Big Mac. And then watch the revolution in fast food automation take off like they've been talking about for years.

Mel Bradford

Re: Another Very Bad Idea

Post by Mel Bradford » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:04 am

Ever notice how the phrase "California Lawmakers" can sour the air before the sentence is completed. You just know its going to be a new low in the bad idea department. Where do all those clowns come from ? ah...."California schools"

And now that were living in the age of ultra scientific knowledge, supremacy and control....how does fast food get a pass ? Hell, remember the Mayor of NY trying to con folks into the "vax-shot" with free fries and a big mac ?

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:12 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:41 am
https://apnews.com/article/california-m ... aef2d2b7ba

You know, working in fast food really sucks. It does. It sucks. It really sucks. I did it in High School and I'm thankful I've never had to do it again. But the government setting wages like this, for the entire fast food industry in California, is really a terrible idea. Welcome to the world of the $12.00 Big Mac. And then watch the revolution in fast food automation take off like they've been talking about for years.
Agreed.

Same reason I don't return carts when I shop.

They can get a robot to scan your groceries, but the robots can't pick up carts without a person chaperoning.

It's job security for the grocery workers.

Grandma Lynn

Post by Grandma Lynn » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:31 pm

Fast food places were a place
for young people to get a job
experience. So it was really
a learning job, how to work,
how to communicate with
customers, etc.
Of course not an easy job,
but sometimes learning isn't.
Oh, and they had money that
they actually earned themselves!

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:39 pm

Grandma Lynn wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:31 pm
Fast food places were a place
for young people to get a job
experience. So it was really
a learning job, how to work,
how to communicate with
customers, etc.
Of course not an easy job,
but sometimes learning isn't.
Oh, and they had money that
they actually earned themselves!
Exactly.

These dems want to act like every job should provide a "living wage".

The "living" a burger flipping job is meant to fund is after-school gas money and hopefully have enough left over to get into the movie on the weekend, not to provide for a family of 5 in a three bedroom house.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:29 pm

Imagine being so dumb and unskilled AFTER high school that you need the government to set an artificially high wage so you can afford food and shelter...
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:19 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:29 pm
Imagine being so dumb and unskilled AFTER high school that you need the government to set an artificially high wage so you can afford food and shelter...
And keep in mind they can still get:
1. Food Stamps
2. Child tax credit
3. And not pay any taxes

In all the benefits along with minimum wage, a lot of these 'people' make more than I do some years.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:47 pm

D-train wrote:
This is a bit of a tangent, but I've wondered for years what society should do with people that are on the bottom 1/3 or so of the cognitive spectrum. It's fashionable to not talk about IQ, but it is nonetheless true and highly predictive of life outcomes. But I think both left and right avoid talking about this. On the left, this is because talking about IQ inevitably leads you to the correlation between race and IQ, so it's much better to discredit IQ as a whole in favor of "racism". On the right, there's a similar motivation because nobody on that side of the political spectrum much likes being labeled a racist, which is what happens if they talk about race and IQ. But also, the reality of IQ tends to undermine core Republican beliefs such as the value of hard work leading to success, or at least relative success.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:35 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:47 pm
D-train wrote:
This is a bit of a tangent, but I've wondered for years what society should do with people that are on the bottom 1/3 or so of the cognitive spectrum. It's fashionable to not talk about IQ, but it is nonetheless true and highly predictive of life outcomes. But I think both left and right avoid talking about this. On the left, this is because talking about IQ inevitably leads you to the correlation between race and IQ, so it's much better to discredit IQ as a whole in favor of "racism". On the right, there's a similar motivation because nobody on that side of the political spectrum much likes being labeled a racist, which is what happens if they talk about race and IQ. But also, the reality of IQ tends to undermine core Republican beliefs such as the value of hard work leading to success, or at least relative success.
Perhaps but my Dad grew up on Kodiak Island in a 3 room house in a family of 9. Started working at Darigold making $2.43 an hour in 1959. Worked there for 42 years and retired in 2001 still making less than $50k a year. Umpired 4 Softball games a night and 8 games a day on weekends for $15 a game from late 70s through early 2000s. Is comfortably retired never having a financial concern in his life. Prob has a net worth around $700k and a full pension and of course Social Security.

Once he asked me if Bill Gates is the one that sets the price of Microsoft stock. When he was here he asked me why the games were on so late and I told him it is a different time zone. He then asked why they have time zones. He still calls a fridge an ice box and calls cologne smell good.

Anything is possible with hard work no matter the other factors...
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:08 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:35 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:47 pm
D-train wrote:
Perhaps but my Dad grew up on Kodiak Island in a 3 room house in a family of 9. Started working at Darigold making $2.43 an hour in 1959. Worked there for 42 years and retired in 2001 still making less than $50k a year. Umpired 4 Softball games a night and 8 games a day on weekends for $15 a game from late 70s through early 2000s. Is comfortably retired never having a financial concern in his life. Prob has a net worth around $700k and a full pension and of course Social Security.

Once he asked me if Bill Gates is the one that sets the price of Microsoft stock. When he was here he asked me why the games were on so late and I told him it is a different time zone. He then asked why they have time zones. He still calls a fridge an ice box and calls cologne smell good.

Anything is possible with hard work no matter the other factors...
Cheers to your father.

The problem with today is that all the younger generation believes they have EARNED the expensive things in life. Don't know why they feel this way, but they do.