Official Mid Terms thread

gil

Re: Official Mid Terms thread

Post by gil » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:56 pm

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:16 pm
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/20 ... 1I.twitter

Now compare that number to the up-ballot numbers, which indicate that about 98,000 more votes were cast for the Democrat candidates than for the Republican candidates.

The conclusion would be that about 68,000 voters who preferred the Republican for Congress voted Democrat for governor, senator, A.G., and secretary of state.

Additionally, the numbers indicate that 150,000 more people voted for all nine Republican candidates than voted for the four statewide offices under consideration for this exercise.

Both of those facts defy logic. When we consider the travails of Election Day experienced by many voters, the unacceptably high numbers of equipment issues, and the fact that the Democrat secretary of state refused to recuse herself from the election tabulation, one has to believe that there were serious issues regarding the fairness of the election.
But the up-ballot races were different in terms of percentage won by each candidate (i.e., I don't think it makes sense to combine them).

Numbers I'm seeing from CNN right now https://www.cnn.com/election/2022/results/arizona:

governor Dem up approx 17,000
senator Dem up 125,000
A.G. Dem up less than 600
secretary of state Dem up 120,000

Seems to me that a lot of people were "splitting" tickets (e.g., voting for Kelly for senate, Lake for Gov, and a republican for the House of Reps). I don't see what is so logic defying about that.

gil

Post by gil » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:46 pm

I found this to be an interesting reader comment about Arizona on the left leaning site https://electoral-vote.com
I've admired your coverage of Arizona politics, but I think you have missed some important context. By way of background, I have more than a decade working in Arizona politics. I have been on staff for both incoming Governor Katie Hobbs (who, among her many virtues, can cuss better than anybody I've ever known) and outgoing Speaker Rusty Bowers (who is a lovely man with a gorgeous singing voice, but thinks "butt" is a vulgar word). I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what's going on around the state. And for what it's worth, I am a fifth-generation Arizonan. My earliest ancestor arrived in what was then the brand-new Arizona Territory in 1864.

The reason Hobbs won is that Christian nationalism does not play with the old-time Arizona crowd. Yes, we have been a reliably red state for many, many years. But that redness has never been an evangelical Republicanism: Barry Goldwater, Sandra Day O'Connor, and even Rusty Bowers have been pointedly secular in their approach to politics. I have sat in hundreds of legislative hearings and find it telling that the most Bible-thumping legislators are all transplants. Yes, transplants are the majority of Arizonans, but a full 1/4 of white Arizonans were born here.

Enter Kari Lake. Her whole shtick was "restoring" Christians to their rightful place of supremacy. That sort of campaigning may work well in Missouri, but the descendants of cowboys, miners, and LDS pioneers don't take kindly to this sort of talk. Half the reason our ancestors moved to this horrible desert is that it is God-forsaken! That memory does not go away and is triggered by dog whistles of theocracy.

And what happens when you alienate 1/4 of your base with concepts we find foreign and repulsive? People like my blue-collar dad leave the ballot blank, and people like my college-educated suburban-woman LDS mom happily vote for the Democrat—for the first time in her life. And then you lose the election.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:00 pm

gil wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:46 pm
I found this to be an interesting reader comment about Arizona on the left leaning site https://electoral-vote.com
I've admired your coverage of Arizona politics, but I think you have missed some important context. By way of background, I have more than a decade working in Arizona politics. I have been on staff for both incoming Governor Katie Hobbs (who, among her many virtues, can cuss better than anybody I've ever known) and outgoing Speaker Rusty Bowers (who is a lovely man with a gorgeous singing voice, but thinks "butt" is a vulgar word). I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what's going on around the state. And for what it's worth, I am a fifth-generation Arizonan. My earliest ancestor arrived in what was then the brand-new Arizona Territory in 1864.

The reason Hobbs won is that Christian nationalism does not play with the old-time Arizona crowd. Yes, we have been a reliably red state for many, many years. But that redness has never been an evangelical Republicanism: Barry Goldwater, Sandra Day O'Connor, and even Rusty Bowers have been pointedly secular in their approach to politics. I have sat in hundreds of legislative hearings and find it telling that the most Bible-thumping legislators are all transplants. Yes, transplants are the majority of Arizonans, but a full 1/4 of white Arizonans were born here.

Enter Kari Lake. Her whole shtick was "restoring" Christians to their rightful place of supremacy. That sort of campaigning may work well in Missouri, but the descendants of cowboys, miners, and LDS pioneers don't take kindly to this sort of talk. Half the reason our ancestors moved to this horrible desert is that it is God-forsaken! That memory does not go away and is triggered by dog whistles of theocracy.

And what happens when you alienate 1/4 of your base with concepts we find foreign and repulsive? People like my blue-collar dad leave the ballot blank, and people like my college-educated suburban-woman LDS mom happily vote for the Democrat—for the first time in her life. And then you lose the election.
I am not religious in the least but respect and sometimes even envy the religious a hell of a lot more than the the morally bankrupt on the left.
dt

gil

Post by gil » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:26 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:00 pm
gil wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:46 pm

I am not religious in the least but respect and sometimes even envy the religious a hell of a lot more than the the morally bankrupt on the left.
I hope and pray that there are a lot more people who are neither morally bankrupt not self-righteous extremists who cloak their politics in perverted views of Christianity. I was talking with one of these "God this" and "God that" right wingers recently and I asked him how his views squared with the Sermon on the Mount. I don't think he knew anything more than the term. That is some Christian! :shock:

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:02 pm

DanielVogelbach wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:20 am
You guys still believe politics is real? If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it. Politics never changes the course of government. It's as fake as pro wrestling. Two wings of the same bird. Sure the Republican message might seem more sane than the mental disorder called liberalism, but nothing ever comes out of it. Wasn't Trump supposed to drain the swamp?

Elections only serve one purpose, which is to legitimize the system. But, in fact, there's nothing legitimate about "government". All taxation is extortion. Unless you're acting aggressively toward others nobody has the right to force you into a contract. Central banking works with government to keep everyone enslaved. They can print money any time they want, but yet they still tax you. It's all one giant scam.

Voting is essentially an obedience ritual. Politicians have no power. They're all puppets. Furthermore, why do we celebrate democracy? Why should the only option be to force people to do things they don't want to do. One classic example of democracy in action is a gang rape. Majority rules is ridiculous. If the minority isn't acting aggressively, then morally they should be allowed to do their thing. Almost every "law" is illegitimate, because contracts can't be made without both parties consenting. Nobody has legitimate authority to rule over you just because you were born into a certain geographic area.

Voting is probably the least effective way of brining about any real change. You can't vote your way out of tyranny. The only option is disobedience. I don't like that word, but you know what I mean. Voting is playing their game and buying into the legitimacy of an illegitimate system. A few years ago I learned about voluntaryism, and I've never looked back. The truth, though, is that most people are frightened of true freedom. They want the system to take care of them. They want to feel safe. Well, a zoo animal is much safer than a wild animal. If your interested in real freedom, check out voluntaryism. Check out freedomcells.org. Exit the financial system by using precious metals and crypto currency. Stop voting and participating in politics.

It's not about putting the right person in the throne, it's about getting rid of the throne altogether. Decentralize. Parallel societies.

Every service provided by the so-called government can be better provided by the private sector. Furthermore, we get absolutely nothing from the Federal government other than the military. They don't build roads or schools. Not that we really need to be sending our kids to government schools aka indoctrination camps. Half the reason we buy into the system is because we get brainwashed for 12-16 years in government schools.

The problem isn't the republicans or the democrats, the problem is the statist mentality - the idea that we actually need "government" to keep order. Nope. Government is the powerful group of armed thugs people are worried will take over in the absence of government. The key is to decentralize. Splitting the USA into 50 "countries" would be a good start. But ultimately, each individual person should be their own sovereign. All human interaction should be voluntary - "government" is nothing but force, which is objectively immoral.

I consider myself to be a libertarian, but I have no interest in the Libertarian party. I want nothing to do with legitimizing the system.

Peace, Love and Anarchy!
Daenarys Storm-borne Targareon. "Heat doesn't burn the dragon"