Post by gil » Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:56 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:11 pm
gil wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:12 pm
D-train wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:38 am
Huge!!!!
I think this is really good news for Republicans. At least the Republicans I used know.

I think it will be interesting to see if DeSantis and Trump actually square up one-on-one in many primaries. In 2016, Trump won several primaries with a plurality, but not a majority of votes, when running against several others who split 50%+ of the vote.
When remaining trump loyalist realize that DeSantis has a commanding lead then will begin to jump on the bandwagon. And there will not be a single Trump supporter voting for the Dem candidate in the general obviously.
Two things I've been wondering about:

1. Weren't there some voters who had supported Obama and then went to Trump in 2016? Do you think these people stay Republicans forever (i.e., is it a one way street going from D to R?)

2. I've been saying that Republicans could have won a few more races (senate, house, governorships) in 2022 if they had run more "moderate" candidates: "moderate" in terms of accept 2020 election results (i.e., Trump lost fair and square), having less extreme positions on abortion, etc. I think it's pretty clear that more moderate republicans pick up votes in the middle. But how many voters are there who WANT those views I've characterized as extreme and would simply sit out an election between a more moderate Republican and a Democrat?

gil

Re: DeSantis takes lead over Trump

Post by gil » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:33 pm

A different poll from the same time period that has Trump ahead.

https://morningconsult.com/2024-gop-pri ... n-tracker/

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:16 pm

dt

gil

Post by gil » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:34 pm

Interesting. I wonder why Foxnews didn't mention the Morning Consult poll. Doesn't fit their narrative that "DeSantis is the guy"? ;)

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:30 pm

gil wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:34 pm
Interesting. I wonder why Foxnews didn't mention the Morning Consult poll. Doesn't fit their narrative that "DeSantis is the guy"? ;)
I watched CNN exclusively until 2016 until it got TDS. I never watched Fox because I heard it was biased. CNN and all other networks are 10x more biased than Fox and when Fox is biased it is made very obvious as opposed to posing as biased news like the others do.
dt

gil

Post by gil » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:11 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:30 pm
gil wrote:
I watched CNN exclusively until 2016 until it got TDS. I never watched Fox because I heard it was biased. CNN and all other networks are 10x more biased than Fox and when Fox is biased it is made very obvious as opposed to posing as biased news like the others do.
I think a lot of "bias" is in the choice of what to cover. CNN and the NYT thought the Jan 6 committee was newsworthy; Fox did not. Fox thought the Hunter Biden laptop was newsworthy; the NYT and CNN did not. But when you are cherry picking facts, that's another kind of bias.

Meanwhile, CNN has a new poll that says the majority of Republicans don't want Trump to be the nominee, and the majority of Democrats don't want Biden to be the nominee. (This agrees with the 2 polls you have cited that have Republicans favoring DeSantis over Trump.) https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/14/politics ... index.html I'm maintaining the opinion that despite what these majorities want, the dynamics of the nomination processes favor Trump and favor Biden, assuming Trump continues to run and Biden decides to seek reelection.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:13 pm

gil wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:11 pm
D-train wrote:
gil wrote:

I think a lot of "bias" is in the choice of what to cover. CNN and the NYT thought the Jan 6 committee was newsworthy; Fox did not. Fox thought the Hunter Biden laptop was newsworthy; the NYT and CNN did not. But when you are cherry picking facts, that's another kind of bias.

Meanwhile, CNN has a new poll that says the majority of Republicans don't want Trump to be the nominee, and the majority of Democrats don't want Biden to be the nominee. (This agrees with the 2 polls you have cited that have Republicans favoring DeSantis over Trump.) https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/14/politics ... index.html I'm maintaining the opinion that despite what these majorities want, the dynamics of the nomination processes favor Trump and favor Biden, assuming Trump continues to run and Biden decides to seek reelection.
No Biden and no Trump is better for the country. If you could pick the Dem, who you got?
dt

gil

Post by gil » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:18 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:13 pm
gil wrote:
D-train wrote:

No Biden and no Trump is better for the country. If you could pick the Dem, who you got?
I agree. God, I don't know. I remember in 2020 so many Democrat friends saying that Biden was their third choice. {pause for effect} They just didn't know who #1 and #2 were.

Just off the top of my head, Gov. Whitmer of Michigan and Sen Kelly of AZ. How about you?

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:31 pm

gil wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:18 pm
D-train wrote:
gil wrote:

I agree. God, I don't know. I remember in 2020 so many Democrat friends saying that Biden was their third choice. {pause for effect} They just didn't know who #1 and #2 were.

Just off the top of my head, Gov. Whitmer of Michigan and Sen Kelly of AZ. How about you?
:lol:

Well I hope the go with IT because I want them to lose. :lol:

https://twitter.com/libsoftiktok/status ... start%3D10
dt

gil

Post by gil » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:04 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:31 pm
gil wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:18 pm
D-train wrote:

:lol:

Well I hope the go with IT because I want them to lose. :lol:

https://twitter.com/libsoftiktok/status ... start%3D10
It's about time we had an IT as president. Don't you think? :lol: