New Proposal for Funding Roads and Highways in WA

Walla Walla Dawg II

Re: New Proposal for Funding Roads and Highways in WA

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:32 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:19 pm
Well, roads are paid for by taxes on fuel, which doesn't apply to electrics. But they still use the roads and there is an expected growth curve for electrics, which means there will be an increasing shortfall in the budget year over year if an alternative funding mechanism isn't implemented.

Back in the early 90's, the State of Washington actually had different departmental tax funds like Education, Roads, etc.... Since they they have gone to a General Fund that collects everything so they don't have to account for where the money is spent. So in essence, the "gas tax" is just a way to put money in the General Fund.

Gas tax is supposed to go to the Roads
Lottery is supposed to go to the Schools

The government of our state likes to keep things vague so people don't understand the waste.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:33 pm

gil wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:01 am
It seems pretty clear to me that someone who uses the roads should pay their share. I'd like to see a per mile charge with some adjustment for vehicle weight (heavier vehicles cause more wear and tear) and a surcharge if you want to use studded tires. Taxes on fuel are imprecise, and we recognize that with giving rebates on fuel taxes to farmers and ranchers who are driving vehicles on private land. But I don't see any reason to give electric vehicles a free ride. If you want to encourage EVs, there are other ways.

And by the way, fuel taxes pay for a significant amount, but not all, of road costs. General taxes such as property and sales taxes subsidize roads.
And what do we do with the cars from other states that are using our roads?

I personally wish California would go to something like this since I put more mileage on my car in CA than I do in Washington.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:33 pm

auroraave wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:15 pm
The problem isn't a lack of tax revenue - it is that that tax money is wasted through fiscal mismanagement, incompetence, ineffeciency, bureaucracy and staggering corruption. Imagine how many millions of your tax dollars are going to be covering "chaz" lawsuits? Start there and do the math, add in all the tax-paying businesses that left Seattle during the collosal "defund the police" debacle and the 'riots' the politicians egged on - which cost the City and the state millions if not billions. Where is that moeny going to come from? Um, YOU. Did people forget about all that? Well, those bills have to get paid. There is no shortage of funds, it is simply pissed away by corruption and morons, then they run tax generating businesses out of town with staggeringly stupid policy, then come hat in hand for more of your money to solve the problems they created.

wash, rinse, repeat.

These people have destroyed Washington, Oregon, California, New York, Illinois... people need to look at the bigger picture of what is really going on - government is simply stealing your money. At this point, is there anyone left that doesn't see that? I mean, seriously. it's so blatant they aren't even trying to hide it anymore. They put labels on bills that pass the PR test in order to sell it to the masses, but this is just stealing from the people. Look at the billions going to Ukraine - for literally no rational or logiocal reason - If that isn't the biggest sham of all time, i honestly don't know what is.
Still the smartest person on this board.